News
Children of 86-Year-old Blind Udi Monarch Begs Gov Mbah over Detention of Father
Children of the traditional ruler of Akpakume, at Udi Local Government Area of Enugu State, Igwe Ekwueme Odenigbo, have appealed to Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State to release their 86-year-old blind father and brother, Solomon, from prison custody in Enugu.
The Vanguard reports that they also made a “Save-Our-Soul” call on the Senator Representing Enugu West Senatorial Zone, Osita Ngwu and the Chairman of Udi local government council, Engr. Hyginus Agu, over the continued incarceration of their 86-year-old blind monarch, Igwe Odenigbo by the Enugu State Police Command.
Igwe Odenigbo, 86 and one of his sons, Solomon Ekwueme, were detained in Enugu Correctional Service Centre, Enugu since January 9, 2025 following a petition written against them by a prominent citizen of the community, Mr. Livinus Okolo, aka Zion.
They said: “It is truly heartbreaking for us to be called back to Enugu with the news that our aged and blind father, a retired elder in the Redeemed Christian Church of God and the King of an entire community has been locked up by the Nigerian Police and charged to a Magistrate court and subsequently sent to the Prison at the behest of a man that has been nothing short of a terror to the entire people of Akpakwume community, Mr Livinus Okolom, Alias Zion”.
Odenigbo’s children posited that trouble began on December 23, 2024 when Mr. Livinus Okolo, allegedly invaded their father’s palace with about 20 boys, armed with guns, axe and matchets and beat their parents mercilessly and took away his staff of office and other valuables claiming that Igwe Odenigbo had been dethroned and he, Okolo is now the acting Igwe because Igwe was involved in illegal mining and government decided to unseat him.
They pointed out that following Okolo’s attack on their father, irate youths in the community went and destroyed some part of Okolo’s house.
Igwe Odenigbo had on December 24, petitioned the police over the attack on his palace but no arrest was made because Okolo was said to be highly connected and has the backing of Gov. Mbah and the Commissioner for Chieftaincy Matters, Chief Okey Ogbodo.
They went further to explain that when the youths destroyed Okolo’s house over his alleged attack on their Igwe, Okolo petitioned the police and got the traditional prime minister elect, Onowu-elect, Chief Marius Ezeanyanwu, arrested claiming that it was he that instigated the destruction of his house.
They went further to explain that when the youths destroyed Okolo’s house over his alleged attack on their Igwe, Okolo petitioned the police and got the traditional prime minister elect, Onowu-elect, Chief Marius Ezeanyanwu, arrested claiming that it was he that instigated the destruction of his house.
As a result of the arrest of Chief Ezeanyanwu, the youths were said to have been angered the more and went and burnt down his house completely, the Igwe’s children pointed out.
Based on the arson on Okolo’s house, he was said to have petitioned the police who on January 9, 2025 who invited their brother, Solomon and their father for questioning but detained them afterwards.
Having detained them, on January 13, 2025, a magistrate court at Enugu North tried them and sent them to prison custody and ever since, they have been languishing in the Correctional Service Centre, Enugu.
Therefore, touched by the plight of their aged father, Igwe Odenigbo and brother Solomon, they begged the governor to intervene forthwith.
News
Tinubu, Shettima , Jonathan highlight political lessons from Gowon ‘s autobiography ‘My Life of Duty and Allegiance.’
Gowon, on his part, explained that he wrote the memoir to tell his truth rather than settle scores. “My story and that of Nigeria became intertwined,” he told the audience, describing the book as his “modest attempt to document the opportunity I had to serve Nigeria”.
Former Head of State Gen Yakubu Gowon (retd) on Tuesday launched an autobiography, titled ‘My Life of Duty and Allegiance.’
The book launch was graced by Former President Goodluck Jonathan ; Vice‑President Kashim Shettima, former Head of State Gen. Yakubu Gowon (rted) with his wife Victoria, Former Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Martin Luther Agwai (rted) Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar III , and former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar, among other VIPs.
Speaking during the public presentation of the book at the Bola Ahmed Tinubu International Conference Centre, the president, who was represented by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, urged that the memoir be widely circulated to preserve historical memory and strengthen national unity.
President Tinubu emphasised that accounts from leaders who lived through defining moments are essential to deepening democratic stability.
“A nation that misplaces its memory soon begins to quarrel with its own reflection. A society without memory becomes an orphan in time,” he said.
Tinubu told the gathering that Gowon’s reflections arrive at a critical juncture for Nigeria and West Africa, where insecurity, economic pressure and social fragmentation persist.
He praised Gowon’s post-civil war reconciliatory stance, particularly the “No victor, no vanquished” declaration, as a principle that “helped preserve Nigeria’s unity after the civil war”.
Former President Goodluck Jonathan agreed to that Yakubu Gowon’s “No victor, no vanquished” declaration after the Nigerian civil war helped to create the basis for national healing across the country.
Jonathan lauded the former military head of state for his role in strengthening unity, promoting reconciliation and supporting youth development.
He described Gowon as a “living testimony” of leadership during one of Nigeria’s most consequential eras.
Gowon, on his part, explained that he wrote the memoir to tell his truth rather than settle scores. “My story and that of Nigeria became intertwined,” he told the audience, describing the book as his “modest attempt to document the opportunity I had to serve Nigeria”.
He cautioned Nigerians ahead of the 2027 election against listening to “naysayers”, insisting that the nation “did not fail under my watch” and “will never fail despite the country’s challenges”.
News
Nigeria-U.S kills 175 ISIS terrorists in fresh strikes – DHQ
The operations had also led to the destruction of terrorist checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, military equipment, and financial networks used to sustain insurgent activities.
•Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen Samaila Uba
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has announced that no fewer than 175 ISIS terrorists were killed on Tuesday in ongoing joint counterterrorism operations conducted by Nigerian troops and the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) in Northeast Nigeria.
The military high command said that the coordinated operations, which commenced a few days ago, have continued to record significant successes against ISIS and ISWAP elements operating in the region.
This was contained in a statement issued by the Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen Samaila Uba.
According to the DHQ, the latest assessment as of May 19, 2026, showed that 175 ISIS militants had been eliminated from the battlefield through sustained ground and air assaults.
The statement noted that the operations had also led to the destruction of terrorist checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, military equipment, and financial networks used to sustain insurgent activities.
News
US Nigeria military eliminate more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in latest airstrike
Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated.
• US President Donald Trump
The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) said Monday the U.S. and Nigerian forces carried out further strikes on ISIS targets on May 17, 2026 and eliminated more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in Nigeria’s North-East region.
In a statement posted on its official X handle on Monday, the combatant command said that the latest operation comes three days after had eliminated a senior ISIS commander and one of the world’s most wanted terrorists, Abu Bilal al-Minuki, during an operation conducted on Friday.
The statement reads:“On May 17, 2026, U.S. Africa Command, in coordination with the Government of Nigeria, conducted additional kinetic strikes against ISIS in Northeastern Nigeria.
“Intelligence confirmed the targets were ISIS militants. Complete assessments are ongoing. No U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed.
“The removal of these terrorists diminishes the group’s capacity to plan attacks that threaten the safety and security of the U.S. and our partners.”
AFRICOM added that it remains committed to deploying specialised U.S. capabilities in support of partner nations to counter shared security threats and degrade terrorist networks operating across the region.
The Director Defence Information (DDI), Maj.-Gen. Samaila Uba, added that the multiple air strikes followed observed convergence and migration of terrorist elements, resulting in the elimination of more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation.
Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated.
“There will be no haven for all terrorists anywhere in Nigeria” the statement said.
-
News2 days agoAbu-Bilal al-Minuki: Deadly But Harmless Looking – Poison Dart Frog
-
Business2 days agoPenCom bracing up to invest in Dangote Refinery’s IPO, urges PFAs
-
News2 days agoSenate Rule Amendment: Debate Should Focus on Institutional Stability, Not Personalities – Eyiboh
-
Sports2 days agoAfrican Athletics Championship: Team Nigeria wins 12 medals
-
Business2 days agoDangote expands Investment in Ethiopia to $4bn
-
Business2 days ago63% of Nigerians want interest rates reduced – CBN
-
Politics2 days agoDesmond Elliot cries out, ‘My security taken away, what have I done?’
-
News1 day agoUS Nigeria military eliminate more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in latest airstrike
