Health
BREAKING: Lassa fever: UK visitor tests positive as death toll hits 98 in 2 months
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has confirmed a Lassa fever case with a travel history to the United Kingdom.
The Director General of the NCDC, Dr Jide Idris, in a public advisory on Monday, said the agency was notified on 5th of March of a confirmed case of Lassa fever by the Ondo State Ministry of Health, in a 31-year-old physician managed at a private health facility in Ondo State after returning from a trip abroad (UK).
Lassa fever is an acute viral haemorrhagic fever (VHF) caused by the Lassa virus. The natural reservoir for the virus is the multimammate rat (also known as the African rat). Other rodents can also act as carriers of the virus.
Dr Idris said the patient departed Nigeria on February 19 and returned February 27, adding that samples were taken late on Friday, February 28 on a suspicion of Lassa fever, but the patient unfortunately passed away in the early hours of Saturday, March 1.
He said the laboratory investigation returned a result that was Lassa Fever positive on PCR on Tuesday March 4, adding that “The patient was said to have visited his fiancée in Edo State, as well as family and friends before travelling. “
The NCDC DG said to enhance state and international level coordination of all control and management efforts, some steps had been taken.
“Ondo State Ministry of Health has bolstered control and management efforts through contact tracing and line listing of contacts of the confirmed case.
“All necessary in-country structures have been mobilized to ensure all possible contacts are traced and monitored. Communicated to the Port Health Services to support contact tracing and line listing of contacts and bolster surveillance efforts at the point of entries and exits (information include patient’s biodata, flight details etc. shared).
“Information shared with all relevant authorities in line with the International Health Regulations (2005), and contact tracing efforts also on-going in the UK,” he stated.
The NCDC boss explained that a total of 2728 Lassa fever suspected cases; 535 confirmed cases and 98 deaths have been recorded across 14 states in Nigeria (Case Fatality Rate 18.3%) since the beginning of this year.
He said five states account for 91% of confirmed cases: Ondo: 31%, Bauchi: 24%, Edo: 17%, Taraba: 16% and Ebonyi: 3%.
He said, “Ten (10) LGAs make up 68% of confirmed cases, namely Owo, Akure South, Etsako West, Kirfi, Akoko South West, Bali, Esan North East, Bauchi, Toro and Jalingo. “
He said while NCDC leads the prevention, preparedness, and response to public health emergencies, state governments are also critical in implementing their outbreak response plans tailored to their specific geographical needs.
“And we will continue to support them. However, this responsibility, being a collective one, members of the public also have a role to play,” he said.
He further advised members of the public to
always keep their environment clean, especially their homes, markets, dump sites to reduce breeding grounds for rats
He said, “Block all holes in your house to prevent the entry of rats and other rodents.
“Cover your dustbins and dispose of refuse or waste properly. Communities should set up dump sites far from their homes to reduce the chances of the entry of rodents into their homes.
“Safely store food items such as rice, garri, beans, corn/maize, etc., in tightly sealed or well-covered containers. And avoid open drying of food stuff. Properly process or prepare rats (bushmeat) before consumption. Avoid drying food stuff outside on the ground or roadside, where it is at risk of contamination.
“Discourage bush burning and Deforestation as these can destroy the homes and food sources of rodents, driving them to migrate from the bushes to human residences to find food.
“Eliminate rats in homes and communities by setting rat traps and other appropriate and safe means. Practice good personal and hand hygiene by frequently washing hands with soap under running water or using hand sanitizers when necessary.”
While advising people to avoid overcrowded living areas as overcrowding leads to poor sanitation, he said they should also avoid self-medication to ensure proper diagnosis and early treatment.
“Visit the nearest health facility if you notice any of the signs and symptoms associated with Lassa fever mentioned earlier or call the State Ministry of Health hotline and 6232 (NCDC),” he added.
Health
Federal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure
The Federal Ministry of Health has directed the immediate retirement of all directors who have served at least eight years in the directorate cadre, effective from December 31, 2025.
The directive, outlined in a memo signed by Tetshoma Dafeta, Director overseeing the Office of the Permanent Secretary, enforces the eight-year tenure policy for directors as stipulated in Section 020909 of the Revised Public Service Rules 2021.
It applies to directors across the ministry, federal hospitals, agencies, and parastatals under its supervision.
The move aligns with a broader Federal Government circular from the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, which reiterated the compulsory retirement rule for directors (Grade Level 17 or equivalent) after eight years in the position, as part of efforts to ensure compliance across all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs).
The policy has sparked concerns from the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU), which has criticized what it describes as selective implementation of retirement age reviews in the health sector.
JOHESU argues that such policies favor certain cadres over others, potentially undermining equity, teamwork, morale, and overall efficiency in healthcare delivery.
The ministry’s action follows recent government-wide enforcement of tenure limits for senior civil servants, including permanent secretaries. Affected directors are to be disengaged immediately, with institutions required to implement the directive without delay.
Health
More than 95,000 died of suicide so far in 2026 — WHO
Certain vulnerable populations face disproportionately higher risks, including refugees and migrants, indigenous peoples, LGBTI persons, prisoners, and others who experience discrimination, social exclusion or limited access to support services.
World Health Organization (WHO) data reported that more than 95,000 people have died by suicide globally since the start of 2026.
According to Worldometer, the figure as of the time of this report, stands at 95, 406 so far in 2026.
The early-year toll highlights the continuing scale of suicide as a major global public health challenge.
WHO estimates show that about 727, 000 people die by suicide every year worldwide, with millions more attempting to take their own lives.
Health experts note that while annual suicide figures are usually released with a reporting delay, real-time counters help illustrate how frequently lives are lost to a largely preventable cause.
Suicide occurs across all regions and age groups, but WHO data indicate that it remains one of the leading causes of death among young people aged 15 to 29, ranking third globally in that age group in 2021.
The impact extends far beyond individuals, leaving long-lasting emotional, social and economic consequences for families, communities and entire nations.
Contrary to common assumptions, suicide is not limited to high-income countries.
WHO reports that nearly three-quarters (73%) of global suicides occur in low- and middle-income countries, where access to mental health care and social support services is often limited.
While suicide is closely linked to mental health conditions such as depression and alcohol use disorders, particularly in high-income countries,WHO notes that many suicides occur impulsively during moments of acute crisis.
These crises may stem from financial stress, relationship conflicts, chronic pain, illness, exposure to violence, displacement, or a profound sense of isolation.
Certain vulnerable populations face disproportionately higher risks, including refugees and migrants, indigenous peoples, LGBTI persons, prisoners, and others who experience discrimination, social exclusion or limited access to support services.
WHO stresses that suicide is preventable and requires a coordinated public health response rather than isolated interventions.
Evidence-based and often low-cost measures, such as restricting access to lethal means, promoting responsible media reporting, strengthening life skills among adolescents, and ensuring early identification and follow-up care for those at risk, have been shown to save
Health
WHO: United States membership withdrawal takes effect
Reacting to the development, WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed regret over the decision and urged the United States to reconsider.
The United States’ withdrawal from the World Health Organisation (WHO) officially took effect on Thursday, exactly one year after President Donald Trump ordered the country to pull out of the global health body.
Under the terms governing WHO membership, a withdrawal becomes effective after a mandatory one-year notice period, which expired on Thursday 22 January, following the executive order signed by Trump shortly after he took office in 2025.
Although the agreement requires the United States to settle all outstanding financial obligations before withdrawal, that condition has not been met. However, the WHO has no legal mechanism to enforce payment or prevent a member state from exiting the organisation.
Reacting to the development, WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed regret over the decision and urged the United States to reconsider.
“The withdrawal is a loss for the United States and also a loss for the rest of the world,” Tedros said, adding that the organisation remains open to the country’s return.
President Trump had justified the decision by accusing the WHO of mishandling the COVID-19 pandemic, which originated in Wuhan, China, as well as other global health emergencies.
He also cited the organisation’s alleged failure to implement necessary reforms and its inability to operate independently of political influence from member states.
-
News3 days agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
-
News2 days agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
-
Politics2 days agoPolitical thugs invades Ondo APC ward congress , beats chairman
-
Business1 day agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
Business24 hours agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
Business1 day agoNRS Fixes 2028 for e- invoicing tax collections full takeoff
-
Opinions2 days agoBeyond the Noise: Godswill Akpabio and the Architecture of Stability
-
Health2 days agoFederal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure
