International
BREAKING: Details Of Tinubu’s phone Conversation with US Secretary Of State, Antony Blinken Surfaces
A telephone conversation between Nigeria’s President Elect, Bola Tinubu and the United States Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, has revealed the promise made by Tinubu where he said he is ready to hit the ground running and unify the country upon his assumption of office on May 29.
Tinubu said among his immediate priorities would be to deliver institutional reforms and development programs to deepen democratic institutions and bring help to poor Nigerians.
According to a statement by spokesperson Tunde Rahman said Tinubu also expressed determination to strengthen Nigeria’s democracy and faithfully serve the people as their president.
During the phone conversation that lasted about 20 minutes, Tinubu spoke about his eventful sojourn in America in the 70s, where he graduated with honours as an accountant in 1979.
He also recalled how he was granted asylum by the US when, due to his determined struggle for democracy in Nigeria, he was forced into exile by the late General Sani Abacha’s military junta.
While affirming his democratic bonafide, Tinubu expressed his absolute belief that the result of the elections, which he clearly won, reflected the will of the Nigerian people.
The former Lagos governor said he would work to unite the country and ensure that Nigerians are happy and enjoy the benefits of democracy and progressive good governance.
He said without national unity, security, economic development and good governance, Nigeria would not become a better place to live or play her proper role in the comity of African nations.
Tinubu urged the US to factor in Nigeria’s important place in Africa and provide assistance in the areas of security and economic investment in order for the nation to lead the way and be a shining example to the rest of the continent.
In his remarks, Secretary Blinken assured that Nigeria should expect a good and mutually-beneficial relationship with the US.
He promised to play his part in bringing a sustained and cordial relationship between the two nations to fruition, saying a democratic and peaceful Nigeria is important to the United States as it is to Africa.
International
Trump kicks off his ‘Board of Peace,’ as war clouds loom on Iran
Trump, who has sharply curtailed foreign aid, said that the United States would contribute $10 billion to the initiative whose goals include rebuilding Gaza, which was reduced to rubble by two years of war between Hamas and Israel.
Image credit : AFP
President Donald Trump on Thursday promised $10 billion for a new “Board of Peace,” an amorphous new institution focused first on Gaza that is being launched just as he threatens Iran with war.
While US warplanes and aircraft carriers headed toward Iran on his orders, Trump welcomed some two dozen allies from around the world to the gleaming Washington building of the former US Institute of Peace, which has been gutted and renamed after the 79-year-old Republican.
Trump, who has sharply curtailed foreign aid, said that the United States would contribute $10 billion to the initiative whose goals include rebuilding Gaza, which was reduced to rubble by two years of war between Hamas and Israel.
“Together we can achieve the dream of bringing lasting harmony to a region tortured by centuries of war, suffering,” said the realtor-turned-president, who has previously spoken improbably of building tourist resorts in Gaza.
Trump did not explain exactly where the money would go and his “Board of Peace” has drawn wide criticism for its opaque nature.
Trump will wield veto power over the “Board of Peace” and can remain its head even after leaving office, while countries that want to stay on permanently rather than enjoy a two-year stint will need to pay $1 billion.
In a rambling speech in which he denounced domestic opponents, highlighted stock market gains and hailed his prowess in endorsing foreign leaders during elections, Trump said he wanted to pursue more peace deals.
Crime
BREAKING: Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe Arrested in Johannesburg After Alleged Shooting at Home
Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, the youngest son of the late former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, has been arrested following a shooting incident at his residence in the upscale Hyde Park suburb.
According to reports from South African media outlets including eNCA and IOL, as well as Gauteng police investigations, an employee—described variably as a security guard or gardener—was shot during an apparent dispute at the property.
The victim is in critical condition and receiving medical treatment.Police responded to the scene, where Mugabe was reportedly taken into custody in connection with the shooting.
Some unconfirmed social media accounts and early reports mentioned police negotiators attending amid claims the suspect had barricaded himself, but he was subsequently arrested.
This marks the latest in a series of legal troubles for Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, who has previously faced charges related to assault in Zimbabwe, including incidents involving security personnel and law enforcement.
The investigation by the South African Police Service (SAPS) is ongoing, with more details expected as the case develops. Authorities have not yet released an official statement on charges or motives.
The incident has drawn significant attention online and in regional media, given the family’s prominent political legacy.
International
Five Critically Injured in Catastrophic Explosion at Upstate New York Church
A powerful explosion devastated the Abundant Life Fellowship Church in this rural community on Tuesday morning, February 17, 2026, leaving five people—including the church’s pastor and four firefighters—critically injured, authorities said.
The blast occurred around 10:25–10:30 a.m. at the church located on State Route 12 in the Town of Boonville, Oneida County, approximately 50 miles northeast of Syracuse. Emergency responders were initially dispatched after reports of a strong gas odor inside the building.
According to New York State Police, a preliminary investigation indicates that four individuals were in the church basement when the furnace activated, triggering the explosion.
A fifth person a firefighter was on the first floor attempting to ventilate the structure and was thrown against a wall by the force of the blast.
The injured have been identified as:
– Brandon Pitts, 43, pastor of Abundant Life Fellowship Church
– David Pritchard Jr., 60, Boonville Fire Chief
– Allan Austin, 67, Boonville Fire Department firefighter
– Nicholas Amicucci, 43, Boonville Fire Department firefighter
– Richard Czajka, 71, Boonville Fire Department firefighter
All five victims were transported to regional hospitals, including Upstate University Hospital and Wynn Hospital, where they remain in critical but stable condition.
The explosion caused catastrophic damage to the church building, which officials now consider “destroyed.”
Thick black smoke billowed from the site following the blast.
State police emphasized that there is no indication of criminal activity at this time, and the incident appears to stem from a propane or gas-related issue in the heating system.
The investigation is ongoing.Community members and first responder agencies have expressed support for the injured and their families as recovery efforts continue.
-
News1 day agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
Business2 days agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
Business2 days agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
Business2 days agoNRS Fixes 2028 for e- invoicing tax collections full takeoff
-
News1 day agoDSS suit against SERAP adjourns indefinitely
-
Politics2 days agoAgain, Violence Erupts at Ondo APC Congress in Idanre
-
News2 days agoGas Leaks Kill 37 Miners in Plateau, 25 Hospitalised
-
International2 days agoFive Critically Injured in Catastrophic Explosion at Upstate New York Church
