International
Bawumia says quickly concedes defeat to Mahama to preserves Ghana’s Democracy
▪︎President -elect, John Dramani Mahama
Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia has declared Ghana’s former President John Dramani Mahama, the winner of the country’s Saturday’s presidential election.
“I am making this concession speech before the official announcement by the electoral commission to avoid further tension and preserve the peace of our country,” said Bawumia.
The December 7, 2024 elections were contested by 13 presidential candidates and 807 parliamentary candidates.
In a concession speech delivered on Sunday, Mr Bawumia, the candidate of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), stated that internal data from his party indicates that the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has secured victory in both the presidential and parliamentary polls.
“Let me say that the data from our own internal collation of the election results indicate that former President John Dramani Mahama has won the presidential election decisively.
“The NDC has also won the parliamentary election. Even though we await the final collation of a number of seats, I believe ultimately these will not change the outcome.
He continued: “The people of Ghana have spoken, the people have voted for change at this time and we respect it with all humility.”
The defeat in Saturday’s election ends two terms in power for the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) under President Nana Akufo-Addo.
Mahama, who was president of Ghana between July 2012 and January 2017, confirmed on X he had received Bawumia’s congratulatory call over his “emphatic victory”
International
Russia moves to block WhatsApp in messaging app crackdown
Russian internet regulator Roskomnadzor said earlier this week it was further curbing access to messaging app Telegram as well, citing a lack of security.
Russia / Getty image
Russia has “attempted to fully block” WhatsApp in the country, the company said, as the Kremlin continues to tighten restrictions on messaging apps while the the regulator is pushing for a state-developed app as an alternative to WhatsApp.
BBC reports that Meta-owned WhatsApp said the move aimed to push more than 100 million of its app users in Russia to a “state-owned surveillance app”.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Meta could resume operations if it “complies with [the law] and enters into dialogue”, but stood “no chance” if it refused.
Russian internet regulator Roskomnadzor said earlier this week it was further curbing access to messaging app Telegram as well, citing a lack of security.
Telegram is highly popular in Russia and widely used by its forces in Ukraine.
Pro-war bloggers have complained that the move was hampering communications on the ground.Russia has argued that both WhatsApp and Telegram have refused to store Russian users’ data in the country as required by law.
WhatsApp said it was doing everything it could to keep people connected.
“Trying to isolate over 100 million users from private and secure communication is a backwards step and can only lead to less safety for people in Russia,” it said in a statement.
International
Bangladesh votes in first election since Gen Z protests ousted former PM Sheikh Hasina
People are voting for a new government and also taking part in a referendum to change the constitution.
Bangladesh is holding its first election since student-led protests in 2024 ended the 15-year rule of its increasingly autocratic leader, Sheikh Hasina.
BBC reports that as many as 1,400 protesters were killed during the uprising – with Hasina accused of having directly ordered the crackdown, an allegation she denies.
Her party, the Awami League, has been banned from contesting this election
The vote now pits the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) against the Islamist party Jamaat-e-Islami, which has joined forces with a party born out of the student uprising.
People are voting for a new government and also taking part in a referendum to change the constitution.
An interim government, led by Nobel Peace Price laureate Muhammad Yunus, has led Bangladesh since Hasina fledIn November, a court in Bangladesh sentenced Hasina to death for crimes against humanity over her crackdown
International
Renowned Gospel Singer and Worship Leader Ron Kenoly Dies at 81
Dr. Ron Kenoly, the celebrated American gospel singer, worship leader, and songwriter whose powerful anthems have inspired millions worldwide, has passed away at the age of 81.
Kenoly, widely regarded as one of the pioneers of contemporary praise and worship music, was best known for timeless classics such as “Ancient of Days,” “Lift Him Up,” “Sing Out,” “As for Me and My House,” “I Will Come and Bow Down,” and “Jesus Is Alive.” His music, characterized by joyful, exuberant praise and a deep focus on God’s manifest presence, became staples in churches, conferences, and worship gatherings across denominations and continents.
Born on December 6, 1944, in Coffeyville, Kansas, Kenoly served in the United States Air Force before transitioning into full-time ministry. He served as a music pastor and later earned a Doctorate in Ministry of Sacred Music in 1996. His breakthrough came through recordings with Integrity Music in the 1990s, which propelled his ministry to global prominence.
Over the course of his career, Kenoly toured extensively, ministering in more than 120 nations and recording numerous live worship albums that captured the energy and spiritual intensity of his live sessions. His work influenced generations of worship leaders, choirs, and congregations, helping shape modern gospel and praise music.
No official cause of death has been released at this time. Further details and statements are expected from his family or representatives in the coming days.
Ron Kenoly’s legacy endures through his enduring catalog of songs that continue to uplift and draw believers into worship around the world.
-
News3 days agoBREAKING: FG to Restore Cross River Littoral Status, Allocates 119 New Oil Wells Post-Bakassi
-
Crime17 hours agoBREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
-
Crime2 days agoNDLEA: China-Based Nigerian, 2 Angolans Excrete 236 Cocaine Wraps at Airports (Images)
-
News2 days agoCivil Society Group Urges Probe into Dadiyata’s 2019 Disappearance After Explosive Claims
-
News17 hours agoEl-Rufai Arrives at EFCC Headquarters Amid Clashes Between Supporters and Opponents in Abuja
-
News2 days agoLagos Inaugurates Fire Marshal Club with Safety Walk to Cut Fire Incidents
-
News17 hours agoJUST IN: Security Operatives Clash with El-Rufai’s Supporters at EFCC HQ, Tear Gas Fired
-
News6 hours agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
