Sports
UPDATE: How bankruptcy led Nigerian boxer to death in Ghana – NBBofC

The Nigeria Boxing Board of Control says boxer Segun ‘Success’ Olanrewaju, who died in Accra, Ghana on Saturday, was not granted approval for the fatal bout after his initial fight scheduled for Friday was cancelled after being adjudged overweight.
The 40-year-old former National and West African light-heavyweight champion lost consciousness during his bout against Ghanaian boxer Jon Mbanugu at Fight Night 15 of the Ghana Professional Boxing League at Bukom Boxing Arena, Accra on Saturday.
It was learnt that Olanrewaju was leading on points before the tragic incident occurred in the scheduled eight-round light-heavyweight contest against Mbanugu, also known as “Jon Power,” who holds a record of 12 wins, one loss, and one draw, with 12 knockouts.
It took only a few seconds for officials and fans at the Bukom Boxing Arena to realise that something was seriously wrong.
Olanrewaju had landed two weak punches on his opponent before Mbanugu responded with a right hand to the Nigerian’s face.
After a brief impasse between both men, the Nigerian boxer staggered backwards, fell against the ropes and collapsed, to the disbelief of the fans.
The Nigerian fighter slumped on his side as the referee began the mandatory count.
Moments later, he turned face down, with his throat resting against one of the ropes.
His team rushed into the ring, placed him on the canvas, removed his gum shield, and attempted to resuscitate him as he appeared to be gasping for breath.
The on-site emergency medical team quickly transported him to the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Secretary-General, the Nigeria Boxing Board of Control, Remi Aboderin, said the boxing body permitted Olanrewaju to fight on Friday but the bout was cancelled.
According to Aboderin, the late pugilist then decided to fight the next day so he could make some money to clear his debts back home.
“Segun got our approval to fight in Ghana, a fight that was proposed to take place on a Friday. Unfortunately, they did weigh-in on Thursday and he was found to be overweight and they told him the person he was to fight was not his weight.
“They said to do this, they would increase his purse with another $500, which he said was too small, and due to that, there was no agreement.”
Aboderin further revealed that another Nigerian fought that Friday night.
“Saturday morning, they were on their way back to Lagos, they had even left Accra and were at Aflao border when Segun said to the coach that followed him, that’s Diran Alamu, that it was not going to be easy returning home; he left Nigeria with no money and he had debts to pay and needed money.
So, he wanted to call the Ghanaians and see if another fight was coming up and told them he was now ready to collect the additional $500 as discussed because he felt it would not pay him if he returned home without money.
“So, they called the matchmaker, who informed him that there was a fight on Saturday night and that they could put the fight for that Saturday, but we didn’t give him the approval for that, and this is where the GBA (Ghana Boxing Association) erred.
So, he turned back and went back to Ghana because he needed the money; he owed a lot of people money,” the NBBofC secretary added.
Coach Babatunde Ojo, who trained Olanrewaju, also said that he advised the boxer against fighting on short notice.
“He (Olanrewaju) told me they gave him a fight last week. After he informed me, I told him, ‘the fight was at short notice, you are not training and you want to go, you can’t go, leave this fight for a better offer,’” Ojo said.
“He initially told me the fight was on April 1, but he called later to say it was no longer next month but on March 29.
So, I told him that it was at short notice but if he wanted us to go together, he should tell the organisers to book flights so we could go there and come back together. He called them and when he got back to me, he said they told him they would get him a car that would take him to Ghana.
I said no, that’s not possible. So, he knew I didn’t want him to go.
“After that, he called me that they (NBBofC) had given him a release letter (for the fight). I didn’t hear from him afterwards, so I called him.
He said he had been called again for the fight and was going that night. I told him, ‘Success, don’t you think this fight is too early?’ He said he would call me back. The next time I called him, he said he was on his way (to Ghana), and he didn’t call me because he knew I wouldn’t allow him go.
That was why he didn’t tell me. He is an adult, so, I could not stop him.
“Now we have this situation, these are the things I advise my boxers against; you can’t pick a fight at short notice, you need at least one month. I am very saddened by his loss; may his soul rest in peace,” Ojo added.
Sports
Fenerbahce sacks head coach Mourinho
We have parted ways with Jose Mourinho, who served as head coach of our professional A team since the 2024-2025 season.

•Jose Mourinho
Fenerbahce on Friday sacked Portuguese coach Jose Mourinho, two days after elimination from the Champions League playoffs by Benfica, the Turkish club said in a statement.
“We have parted ways with Jose Mourinho, who served as head coach of our professional A team since the 2024-2025 season.
We thank him for his efforts for our team and wish him success in his future career,” it said.
The former Chelsea, Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and Roma coach who arrived at the Istanbul club in June 2024, led Istanbul’s Yellow Canaries to second place in the league last season behind Galatasaray, failing to end their title drought.
Sports
BREAKING: Champions League draw for 2025/2026 season confirmed [Full fixtures]

The draw for the league phase for the 2025/2026 Champions League have been conducted on Thursday.
This year, the competition will continue to use the ‘Swiss-style’ league phase rather than the group stage to which fans had become accustomed.
That means that 36 teams will again take part in the competition.
Then the top eight sides will then qualify automatically for the knockout stages, while the teams that finish in ninth to 24th place will be drawn in a two-legged play-off to secure a place in the last 16 of the competition.
Teams ranked 25-36 are eliminated from all competitions.Here are some of the fixtures:
Bayern Munich will face Chelsea (H), PSG (A), Club Brugge (H), Arsenal (A), Sporting CP (H), PSV (A), Union SG (H), Pafos (A)Chelsea will play Barcelona (H), Bayern Munich (A), Benfica (H), Atalanta (A), Ajax (H), Napoli (A), Pafos (H), Qarabag (A)Real Madrid take on Manchester City (H), Liverpool (A), Juventus (H), Benfica (A), Marseille (H), Olympiacos (A), Monaco (H), Kairat Almaty (A).
Inter Milan have been drawn against Liverpool (H), Dortmund (A), Arsenal (H), Atletico Madrid (A), Salavia Praha (H), Ajax (A), Kairat Almaty, Union SGBorussia Dortmund will face Inter Milan (H), Manchester City, Villarreal, Juventus, Bodo/Glimt, Tottenham, Athletic Club, Copenhagen (A)Liverpool play Real Madrid (H), Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid, Frankfurt, PSV, Marseille, Qarabag, Galatasaray (A)
Barcelona take on PSG (H), Chelsea, Frankfurt, Club Brugge, Olympiacos, Slavia Praha, Copenhage, Newcastle (A).
Sports
More than 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta
Defending champions, Team Delta, will be looking to hold on to their crown but face fierce competition from equally ambitious contingents at the 2025 edition.

The National Sports Commission (NSC) has confirmed that more than 6,382 athletes and officials will converge in Asaba for the 9th edition of the National Youth Games.
The game will run from August 29 to September 6.
In a statement the NSC said that the figure was obtained from the completion of the Digital Registration Management (DRM) process, with participants drawn from all 36 states of the federation.
The games aim to promote grassroots sports and unearth the next generation of Nigerian champions.
The NYG has grown into a major sporting event, fostering unity and offering young talents a platform to shine on the national stage.
This year’s edition will feature 37 sporting events, promising a showcase of skill, teamwork, and determination across multiple disciplines.
Defending champions, Team Delta, will be looking to hold on to their crown but face fierce competition from equally ambitious contingents at the 2025 edition.
The NSC said that the Games remain “a celebration of talent, resilience, and national unity,” with nine days of thrilling action expected to produce the country’s future stars.
-
News4 hours ago
IGP Egbetokun Pays Condolence Visit to Arase’s Family
-
News2 days ago
Nigerian Passport Now N100,000, N200,000 from Sept 1
-
News2 days ago
INTERPOL arrests 1,209 cybercriminals, recovers $97.4m
-
Sports2 days ago
Fenerbahce sacks head coach Mourinho
-
News2 days ago
C’River’s community revives barter market
-
International9 hours ago
US to close embassy in Nigeria Monday
-
News10 hours ago
BREAKING: Former Inspector-General of Police, Solomon Arase is Dead
-
Crime9 hours ago
Over 23,000 Still Missing in Nigeria, ICRC Reveals