News
Two More Commissioners Quit Fubara’s Cabinet, Resignations Rise To Nine

The number of resignations in the Rivers State Executive Council has risen to nine after two more commissioners handed in their resignations following the depature of seven of their colleagues from Governor Siminalayi Fubara’s cabinet.
The latest to resign are the Commissioner for Special Projects, Emeka Woke and the Commissioner for Environment, Austen Ben-Chioma.
While Woke served as the Chief of Staff to former governor and current FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, Ben-Chioma served as Commissioner for Urban Development in the immediate past administration.
Woke was also former Local Government Chairman of Emohua Local Government Area.
His letter of resignation is dated November 14, 2023 as that of the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Professor Zacchaeus Adangor (SAN), whose resignation was first to be reported.
“My decision to resign at this time necessitated by pressing family demands for my time and attention as well as the desire to afford other deserving Rivers people the opportunity to serve you and the state in that capacity,” Woke’s letter read in part.
However, Ben-Chioma’s letter is dated December 15, 2023 as the case with the rest of the cabinet members that have resigned.
He also highlighted that his decision to resign was due to personal reasons.
Those who resigned earlier include the state’s Attorney-General (AG) and Commissioner for Justice Prof Zacchaeus Adangor, Commissioner for Works George-Kelly Alabo, Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Commissioner Inime Aguma and Commissioner of Finance, Isaac Kamalu.
Others are Commissioner of Transportation, Dr Jacobson B. Nbina, State Commissioner for Education, Prof. Prince Chinedu, as well as the State Commissioner for Housing, Gift Worlu.

The seven commissioners that earlier resigned from Governor Fubara’s cabinet
The resignation of these nine Commissioners have so far come to public knowledge since the escalation of the political crisis in Rivers State.
One Commissioner, Henry Ogiri who was in charge of the Ministry of Power had before the new wave of resignations, left in November to take up a federal appointment as a Commissioner in the National Population Commission.
The Rivers State cabinet is now left with about 8 commissioners assuming more cabinet members have not resigned yet.
‘No Crisis In Rivers State’
Meanwhile, Amid the political uncertainty that has now seen nine members of his cabinet resign in the last 48 hours, Governor Siminalayi Fubara, on Friday assured investors that there is no crisis in the state
The governor, who spoke during the flag off of 20,000 housing units in the Ikwerre Local Government Area of the state, told investors that Rivers State is very safe and secure for their investments.
“Rivers State is a haven for investment. What we are doing today is to let the world know; not what you hear on the radio or what you see on the screen of television, ‘Rivers State is not safe, there is a crisis’.
“Rivers State is safe and secure for anybody anywhere to come and invest, your investment is safe in our hands,” Fubara said.
Fubara also assured the people of the state that his government will take care of them and defend them, adding that his administration is not interested in fighting anybody.
“For our people, I want to assure you that our governance has nothing to do with fighting anybody. Our governance is to take care of and defend our people.
“I can assure you here that this is the beginning of our service to the people of Rivers State. It is not service to big men like me but like to the low-income people,” he said.
News
JUST IN: President Tinubu to Embark on Working Visit to Paris

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will depart for Paris, France, today on a short working visit.
This information was stated in a press release today, April 2, 2025 by Bayo Onanuga, the Special Adviser to the President on Information & Strategy.
Onanuga said during the President’s visit, he will appraise his administration’s mid-term performance and assess key milestones.
“He will also use the retreat to review the progress of ongoing reforms and engage in strategic planning ahead of his administration’s second anniversary”.
“This period of reflection will inform plans to deepen ongoing reforms and accelerate national development priorities in the coming year”.
“Recent economic strides reinforce the President’s commitment to these efforts, as evidenced by the Central Bank of Nigeria reporting a significant increase in net foreign exchange reserves to $23.11 billion—a testament to the administration’s fiscal reforms since 2023 when net reserves were $3.99 billion”.
“While away, President Tinubu will remain fully engaged with his team and continue to oversee governance activities. He will return to Nigeria in about a fortnight, the statement reads.
Business
Algiers-Abuja direct flights begin April 6

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday, announced the launch of Air Algérie’s inaugural direct flight service from Algiers to Abuja, set to begin on April 6, 2025.
This is said to strengthen the diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria and Algeria.
According to a statement signed by the Acting Spokesperson for the Ministry, Kimiebi Ebienfa, the new route, which is the result of the Bilateral Air Services Agreement between the two countries, will be operated by the national carrier, Air Algérie, using a Boeing 737 aircraft.
This new service is expected to boost connectivity, encourage tourism, and facilitate trade and investment between Nigeria and Algeria.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is pleased to announce the commencement of Air Algerie’s inaugural direct flight service from Algiers to Abuja, scheduled for 6th April 2025.
“This historic development marks a significant milestone in the growing diplomatic and economic relations between Nigeria and Algeria.
“It is pertinent to state that it is the implementation of the Bilateral Air Services Agreement between both countries, which culminated in this successful venture,” the statement read in part.
The inaugural flight is expected to carry the Charge d’Affaires of the Nigerian Embassy in Algiers, Nigerian community leaders, and representatives from the Algerian government.
The Federal Government has extended congratulations to Air Algérie and offered its full support to ensure the success of the new service.
With affordable fares and Algeria’s proximity to Europe, the flight also offers Nigerians a convenient gateway to Europe, enhancing Nigeria’s position as a regional hub for business, tourism, and transit.
The statement added, “The Federal Government of Nigeria, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and relevant aviation authorities, extends its warm congratulations to Air Algerie and assures all necessary support to ensure the success and sustainability of this new service.
“We believe this initiative will further strengthen the longstanding friendship between Nigeria and Algeria, while opening new opportunities for mutual growth.
“The affordable fare structure and the proximity of Algeria to Europe would also provide Nigerians with a convenient gateway to Europe, thereby enhancing Nigeria’s position as a regional hub for business, tourism, and transit.”
The ministry encouraged citizens and businesses to take advantage of this new connectivity to explore opportunities for trade, tourism and cultural exchanges between the two nations.
Crime
Lynched travellers: Tension in Edo as DSS arrests principal suspects

Operatives of the Department of State Security have arrested two principal suspects involved in the killing of 16 Nigerians of northern extraction in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government last week.
According to a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Monday Okpehbolo, Fred Itua, the suspects were arrested by operatives of the DSS in Uromi, following credible intelligence.
He noted that operatives of various security agencies were hunting for other key suspects involved in the unfortunate incidents.
He said, “Operatives of the Department of State Security have arrested two principal suspects involved in the killing of 16 Nigerians of northern extraction in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government last week.
“The suspects were arrested by operatives of the DSS in Uromi, following credible intelligence. Operatives of various security agencies are hunting for other key suspects involved in the unfortunate incidents.
”In the latest development, the two principal suspects arrested by officials of the DSS have been transferred to Abuja, the nation’s capital, for further interrogation and prosecution by the relevant authorities.
According to reports, the 14 suspects arrested in connection with the killings have been transferred to Force headquarters while investigation continues on the matter.
The transfer of the suspects to Abuja was in compliance with the directive of the Inspector-General of Police.
“I can confirm to you that the suspects have been taken to Abuja as directed by the IGP and investigation into the matter is still ongoing.
”Itua also said he could not confirm if the compensation promised the family of the victim would be financial.
He, however, said the Edo and Kano governments were working together to fashion out a suitable compensation for the family of the victims.
“As you are aware, Governor Okpehbolo met with the Kano State Government and visited the families of the I6 people that were killed, where he promised compensation.
“I cannot say what form the compensation will take but both state governments are talking to ensure that the victims’ families are compensated.
”A resident of Uromi, who gave his name simply as Michael, said residents of the area, where the killings took place, were deserting their villages over fear of being arrested.
He stated that women thronged the Ojuromi of Uromi palace to protest the indiscriminate arrest of people in Uromi following the killings of the 16 travellers.
He said, “What is happening now is that people are leaving their houses where the killing took place for fear of being arrested by the police, who have been mandated to fish out all the culprits.
“I believe the protest by the women on Monday is in connection with the indiscriminate arrest of residents by security agencies.”
Meanwhile, the Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress has claimed that some major opposition political parties were planning to instigate a crisis in the state and make it ungovernable.
The state APC chairman, Jarret Tenebe, stated this during a news conference on Tuesday in Abuja.
“It has come to our attention that the leadership of some major opposition parties in our state, along with two others, has devised a reckless and dangerous plot to instigate crisis and make Edo ungovernable,” he said.
Tenebe alleged that the aim of those behind the plot was to force President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in the state.
“Their sinister objective is clear: they want to force President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in Edo, because they have no confidence in securing victory at the Edo Election Petition Tribunal.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the tribunal will, on Wednesday, deliver judgment in the petition filed by the PDP candidate, Asue Ighodalo, against the outcome of the Sept. 21, 2024 governorship election in the state.
-
Sports2 days ago
UPDATE: How bankruptcy led Nigerian boxer to death in Ghana – NBBofC
-
News1 day ago
Kogi State enforces ban on rallies, public gatherings amidst riding security concerns
-
News1 day ago
President Tinubu congratulates Jim Ovia on admission to the freedom of the city of London
-
News2 days ago
JUST IN: FG to shut Lagos’ Independence Bridge for two months
-
Politics19 hours ago
I would have handled economy better than Tinubu – Obi
-
Sports19 hours ago
NTTF U-12 National Hopes Week kicks off today in Lagos
-
Business19 hours ago
Women make up 15% of 288 new billionaires in 2025
-
News17 hours ago
BREAKING: Tinubu Sacks NNPCL Board , Replaces Mele Kyari with Bashir Ojulari as Group CEO