Connect with us

International

Prince Harry, Meghan Markle to meet military during visit to Nigeria

Published

on

329 Views

The Defence Headquarters has announced the Duke of Sussex, Prince Harry, and his wife, Meghan Markle, will visit Nigeria in May.

This was disclosed in a statement signed by the Director, Defence Information, DDI, Brig Gen Tukur Gusau, over the weekend.

He said the royal couple will be meeting with military personnel and will be hosted to different cultural activities.

The statement reads, “The Defence Headquarters, DHQ, has expressed its honour and delight for the acceptance of the Duke of Sussex, His Royal Highness, Prince Harry and his wife, the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan to visit Nigeria in May, 2024.

“During their stay in the country, they will be meeting with service members and will be hosted to arrays of cultural activities.

“It would be recalled that Prince Harry, the Duke of Duchess founded the Invictus games, an international multi- sporting event which offers recovery pathway for international wounded, injured and sick service men and women”.

Gen Gusau noted that the Invictus games had about 500 participants and 21 nations in attendance including Nigeria which won gold and silver at its first outing last year.

He added that the Duke’s visit is to consolidate Nigeria’s strong hold at the game and the possibility of hosting the event in later years.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

BREAKING: Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe Arrested in Johannesburg After Alleged Shooting at Home

Published

on

17 Views

Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, the youngest son of the late former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, has been arrested following a shooting incident at his residence in the upscale Hyde Park suburb.

According to reports from South African media outlets including eNCA and IOL, as well as Gauteng police investigations, an employee—described variably as a security guard or gardener—was shot during an apparent dispute at the property.

The victim is in critical condition and receiving medical treatment.Police responded to the scene, where Mugabe was reportedly taken into custody in connection with the shooting.

Some unconfirmed social media accounts and early reports mentioned police negotiators attending amid claims the suspect had barricaded himself, but he was subsequently arrested.

This marks the latest in a series of legal troubles for Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, who has previously faced charges related to assault in Zimbabwe, including incidents involving security personnel and law enforcement.

The investigation by the South African Police Service (SAPS) is ongoing, with more details expected as the case develops. Authorities have not yet released an official statement on charges or motives.

The incident has drawn significant attention online and in regional media, given the family’s prominent political legacy.

Continue Reading

International

Five Critically Injured in Catastrophic Explosion at Upstate New York Church

Published

on

23 Views

A powerful explosion devastated the Abundant Life Fellowship Church in this rural community on Tuesday morning, February 17, 2026, leaving five people—including the church’s pastor and four firefighters—critically injured, authorities said.

The blast occurred around 10:25–10:30 a.m. at the church located on State Route 12 in the Town of Boonville, Oneida County, approximately 50 miles northeast of Syracuse. Emergency responders were initially dispatched after reports of a strong gas odor inside the building.

According to New York State Police, a preliminary investigation indicates that four individuals were in the church basement when the furnace activated, triggering the explosion.

A fifth person a firefighter was on the first floor attempting to ventilate the structure and was thrown against a wall by the force of the blast.

The injured have been identified as:

– Brandon Pitts, 43, pastor of Abundant Life Fellowship Church

– David Pritchard Jr., 60, Boonville Fire Chief

– Allan Austin, 67, Boonville Fire Department firefighter

– Nicholas Amicucci, 43, Boonville Fire Department firefighter

– Richard Czajka, 71, Boonville Fire Department firefighter

All five victims were transported to regional hospitals, including Upstate University Hospital and Wynn Hospital, where they remain in critical but stable condition.

The explosion caused catastrophic damage to the church building, which officials now consider “destroyed.”

Thick black smoke billowed from the site following the blast.

State police emphasized that there is no indication of criminal activity at this time, and the incident appears to stem from a propane or gas-related issue in the heating system.

The investigation is ongoing.Community members and first responder agencies have expressed support for the injured and their families as recovery efforts continue.

Continue Reading

International

Russia moves to block WhatsApp in messaging app crackdown

Russian internet regulator Roskomnadzor said earlier this week it was further curbing access to messaging app Telegram as well, citing a lack of security.

Published

on

By

54 Views

Russia / Getty image

Russia has “attempted to fully block” WhatsApp in the country, the company said, as the Kremlin continues to tighten restrictions on messaging apps while the the regulator is pushing for a state-developed app as an alternative to WhatsApp.

BBC reports that Meta-owned WhatsApp said the move aimed to push more than 100 million of its app users in Russia to a “state-owned surveillance app”.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Meta could resume operations if it “complies with [the law] and enters into dialogue”, but stood “no chance” if it refused.

Russian internet regulator Roskomnadzor said earlier this week it was further curbing access to messaging app Telegram as well, citing a lack of security.

Telegram is highly popular in Russia and widely used by its forces in Ukraine.

Pro-war bloggers have complained that the move was hampering communications on the ground.Russia has argued that both WhatsApp and Telegram have refused to store Russian users’ data in the country as required by law.

WhatsApp said it was doing everything it could to keep people connected.

“Trying to isolate over 100 million users from private and secure communication is a backwards step and can only lead to less safety for people in Russia,” it said in a statement.

Continue Reading

Trending