Politics
Peter Obi dispels arrest rumours, says he’s in Onitsha
I am currently at my home in Onitsha. Anambra State. Such fake News on my person has become a pastime for some people
▪︎ Peter Obi with former President Olusegun Obasanjo /File Photo
Peter Obi has dispelled the rumour of his arrest, saying he is currently at his Onitsha residence in Anambra State.
This followed the death threat allegation and counter allegation between him and Felix Morka, a chieftain of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
In a statement posted via his official Twitter handle on Wednesday, January 8, 2025, Obi called on his supporter to ignore the rumour of his alleged arrest, saying the claim is entirely false. The recurring fake News on me.
I have been made aware of a circulating fake News about my alleged arrest.
Let me state unequivocally that these claims are entirely false. I am currently at my home in Onitsha. Anambra State. Such fake News on my person has become a pastime for some people,” he tweeted.
The former Governor of Anambra State recalled that similar rumour was amplified in 2024, when he was said to have arrested by officials of the DSS.
He said, “Recall last year September, when I was in Rwanda, similar lies had gone out that DSS invaded my house; now, while I was in my home in Onitsha, Anambra State, they said I was arrested in Abuja.
The motive of these peddlers cannot be positive but let us not allow baseless rumors to distract us from the critical challenges we face as a nation.”
Politics
Nigerian Senate Passes Controversial Electoral Act Amendment Bill Amid Heated Debate
The Nigerian Senate on Wednesday, February 18, 2026, passed the Electoral Act, 2022 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026, following intense deliberations and a dramatic division vote on the contentious issue of electronic transmission of election results.
The bill, which seeks to repeal and re-enact the existing Electoral Act to address perceived gaps ahead of the 2027 general elections, was approved after a rowdy plenary session presided over by Senate President Godswill Akpabio.
Key amendments include provisions allowing both electronic and manual transmission of results from polling units to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) IReV portal, with manual transmission permitted as a fallback in cases of network failure or technical issues.
The most heated contention centered on Clause 60(3), which includes a proviso retaining the option for manual transmission. Opposition senators, led by Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, demanded a division vote under Senate rules. In the tally, 55 senators voted in favor of retaining the proviso, while 15 opposed it primarily from opposition benches.
The passage came after the Senate Leader, Senator Opeyemi Bamidele, moved a motion to reverse an earlier consideration and recommit the bill to the Committee of the Whole for fresh review.
Debates also covered adjustments to election timelines, including a reduction in the mandatory notice period for elections to avoid overlapping with the 2027 Ramadan period, as well as other legal and procedural clarifications.
The House of Representatives has since aligned with the Senate’s position on key issues, including the dual transmission mechanism and the scrapping of indirect party primaries in some contexts, passing a harmonized version amid protests and walkouts in the lower chamber.
Critics, including opposition parties like the PDP, have described the retention of manual transmission options as a “treacherous betrayal” of Nigerians’ demand for fully electronic processes to enhance transparency and reduce electoral malpractices. Supporters argue the hybrid approach provides necessary flexibility in areas with poor network coverage.
The harmonized bill now awaits concurrence between both chambers (if not already fully aligned) before transmission to President Bola Tinubu for assent.
The amendments aim to strengthen preparations for the 2027 polls, though they have sparked widespread debate on the future of electoral integrity in Nigeria.
The development follows earlier versions passed by the House in December 2025 and the Senate’s initial considerations earlier this month.
Politics
Aiyedatiwa denies involvement in Ondo APC party fracas
Aiyedatiwa said that “APC is a family, and l could not have authorised the beating or injury of family members who were gathered for a meeting.
Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa of Ondo State has denied sponsoring the attack and beating of the state chairman of the All Progressive Congress , Engineer Ade Adetimehin and other party leaders during a meeting at the party’s Secretariat.
Aiyedatiwa who denied involvement in the attack fingered aspirants jostling for various party positions of importing hoodlums who disrupted the stakeholders’ meeting and injured several party leaders.
Armed political thugs suspected to be members of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) had on tuesday invaded the party’s secretariat in Akure, attacked and injured the state chairman of the party and other party leaders.
Others injured during the attack include the member representing the state on the board of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Hon Otito Atikase, former Deputy Speaker, Hon Abayomi Akinruntan, driver of the chairman, Friday Ogbaide, former chairman of Ile-Oluji/Okeigbo local government, Hon Dayo Akinsuroju, former Commissioner, Hon Saka-Yusuf Ogunleye, Hon Demola ljabiyi, Chief Bode Sunmonu and Barrister Sola Ajisafe.
The leaders including Atikase and former Commissioners , Mrs Yetunde Adeyanju and Yusuf-Ogunleye, alleged that the thugs led by the Chairman of NURTW, Mr Ademola Odudu, were sponsored by the state governor, Dr Lucky Aiyedatiwa.
Speaking after the reconvened stakeholders’ meeting at the same party’s Secretariat, the governor stated that he had no involvement in the earlier crisis that erupted during the meeting, which was disrupted by thugs allegedly sponsored by aspirants vying for positions.
Aiyedatiwa said that “APC is a family, and l could not have authorised the beating or injury of family members who were gathered for a meeting.
“I got a call from the party chairman, who is Ade Adetimehin, that there is going to be a stakeholders’ meeting, which I also approved, but I told them it should be fixed for 2 p.m. because I was attending the 50th birthday of one of the stakeholders, who is a cabinet member of our party. I said the meeting should be fixed for about 2 p.m.
Normally, we have stakeholders’ meetings, and as the governor, I am always in attendance, alongside the Speaker and the Deputy Governor. All of us are always present at every stakeholders’ meeting.
In the first quarter of this year, we had one in January, before the state’s anniversary.
“We had 60 people per local government. But this one was an impromptu stakeholders’ meeting because of the congresses at the ward and local government levels.
“As I said, the meeting was shifted to 2 p.m. because it was initially fixed for 10 a.m., and I said I would not be able to make it at that time.
“Later on, I got a call from one of them saying there were some problems around, or some miscreants around the party secretariat. I asked him to call the Commissioner of Police, and I also called the Commissioner of Police myself to ensure the place was protected, as I was going to attend the meeting. I asked that security operatives be deployed to protect the place.
Politics
Again, Violence Erupts at Ondo APC Congress in Idanre
Today’s incident follows a pre-Congress crisis on Tuesday (yesterday), during which party stakeholders were attacked at the APC State Secretariat in Akure.
• Ondo APC Congress Violence
Discords within Ondo APC again reared it’s head as violence broke out today, Wednesday, during the Congress in Idanre, as suspected thugs disrupted proceedings, leading to multiple injuries and extensive property damage.
Today’s incident follows a pre-Congress crisis on Tuesday (yesterday), during which party stakeholders were attacked at the APC State Secretariat in Akure.
Eyes -witnesses described today’s incident as a chaotic scene, with a car set ablaze and two individuals are in critical condition and currently receiving treatment in an undisclosed hospital.
The area near the party secretariat was left littered with broken bottles and chairs, reflecting the intensity of the clashes.
The reasons behind the violence remain unclear at the time of this report. However, prominent figures, including activist Omoyele Sowore, have condemned the earlier assaults, highlighting the growing unrest within the party.
Prominent figures, including activist Omoyele Sowore, have condemned the earlier assaults, highlighting the growing unrest within the party.
As the situation unfolds, Starnews NG reports that the implications of this violence for Ondo APC and the upcoming elections are yet to be determined, but the discord within the party is becoming increasingly evident.
Authorities may need to intervene to restore order and ensure the safety of party members and the public.
-
Crime2 days agoBREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
-
News2 days agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
-
News2 days agoEl-Rufai Arrives at EFCC Headquarters Amid Clashes Between Supporters and Opponents in Abuja
-
News2 days agoJUST IN: Security Operatives Clash with El-Rufai’s Supporters at EFCC HQ, Tear Gas Fired
-
News1 day agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
-
Business9 hours agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
News22 hours agoKebbi Gov mourns after wedding boat mishap victims
-
Health1 day agoFederal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure
