Health
Ondo records first strike in 2025
The President of the ARD in the state, Olaogbe Kehinde, said the doctors have been overstretched and could no longer work due to non-payment of their arrears and other benefits.
Medical doctors in Ondo State embarked are the first to embarked on strike in 2025.The members of the Association of Resident Doctors (ARD) at the University of Medical Sciences Teaching Hospital (UNIMEDTH) in Ondo State, went on the indefinite strike action today.
Ohibaba.com learned that the resident doctors had earlier on Monday staged a peaceful protest at the facility of the UNIMEDTH in Ondo town to press home their demands.
Among several grievances, the striking doctors cited the correction of irregularities on discrepancies in salary payments and implementation of the new minimum wage scale as part of their demands.
Other demands include payment of all hazard allowance arrears, payment of ARD member’s arrears, and provision of conducive accommodation to resident doctors within the hospital premises and the employment of doctors to increase manpower across the previous departments among others.
In a statement to announce the strike action on Tuesday, the President of the ARD in the state, Olaogbe Kehinde, said the doctors have been overstretched and could no longer work due to non-payment of their arrears and other benefits.
Dr Olaogbe noted that many doctors in the state have resigned from the job while others left without prior notification due to poor conditions of service.
He also explained that a series of ‘save our souls’ letters had been written to the management for review, but all efforts proved abortive.
Health
Federal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure
The Federal Ministry of Health has directed the immediate retirement of all directors who have served at least eight years in the directorate cadre, effective from December 31, 2025.
The directive, outlined in a memo signed by Tetshoma Dafeta, Director overseeing the Office of the Permanent Secretary, enforces the eight-year tenure policy for directors as stipulated in Section 020909 of the Revised Public Service Rules 2021.
It applies to directors across the ministry, federal hospitals, agencies, and parastatals under its supervision.
The move aligns with a broader Federal Government circular from the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, which reiterated the compulsory retirement rule for directors (Grade Level 17 or equivalent) after eight years in the position, as part of efforts to ensure compliance across all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs).
The policy has sparked concerns from the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU), which has criticized what it describes as selective implementation of retirement age reviews in the health sector.
JOHESU argues that such policies favor certain cadres over others, potentially undermining equity, teamwork, morale, and overall efficiency in healthcare delivery.
The ministry’s action follows recent government-wide enforcement of tenure limits for senior civil servants, including permanent secretaries. Affected directors are to be disengaged immediately, with institutions required to implement the directive without delay.
Health
More than 95,000 died of suicide so far in 2026 — WHO
Certain vulnerable populations face disproportionately higher risks, including refugees and migrants, indigenous peoples, LGBTI persons, prisoners, and others who experience discrimination, social exclusion or limited access to support services.
World Health Organization (WHO) data reported that more than 95,000 people have died by suicide globally since the start of 2026.
According to Worldometer, the figure as of the time of this report, stands at 95, 406 so far in 2026.
The early-year toll highlights the continuing scale of suicide as a major global public health challenge.
WHO estimates show that about 727, 000 people die by suicide every year worldwide, with millions more attempting to take their own lives.
Health experts note that while annual suicide figures are usually released with a reporting delay, real-time counters help illustrate how frequently lives are lost to a largely preventable cause.
Suicide occurs across all regions and age groups, but WHO data indicate that it remains one of the leading causes of death among young people aged 15 to 29, ranking third globally in that age group in 2021.
The impact extends far beyond individuals, leaving long-lasting emotional, social and economic consequences for families, communities and entire nations.
Contrary to common assumptions, suicide is not limited to high-income countries.
WHO reports that nearly three-quarters (73%) of global suicides occur in low- and middle-income countries, where access to mental health care and social support services is often limited.
While suicide is closely linked to mental health conditions such as depression and alcohol use disorders, particularly in high-income countries,WHO notes that many suicides occur impulsively during moments of acute crisis.
These crises may stem from financial stress, relationship conflicts, chronic pain, illness, exposure to violence, displacement, or a profound sense of isolation.
Certain vulnerable populations face disproportionately higher risks, including refugees and migrants, indigenous peoples, LGBTI persons, prisoners, and others who experience discrimination, social exclusion or limited access to support services.
WHO stresses that suicide is preventable and requires a coordinated public health response rather than isolated interventions.
Evidence-based and often low-cost measures, such as restricting access to lethal means, promoting responsible media reporting, strengthening life skills among adolescents, and ensuring early identification and follow-up care for those at risk, have been shown to save
Health
WHO: United States membership withdrawal takes effect
Reacting to the development, WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed regret over the decision and urged the United States to reconsider.
The United States’ withdrawal from the World Health Organisation (WHO) officially took effect on Thursday, exactly one year after President Donald Trump ordered the country to pull out of the global health body.
Under the terms governing WHO membership, a withdrawal becomes effective after a mandatory one-year notice period, which expired on Thursday 22 January, following the executive order signed by Trump shortly after he took office in 2025.
Although the agreement requires the United States to settle all outstanding financial obligations before withdrawal, that condition has not been met. However, the WHO has no legal mechanism to enforce payment or prevent a member state from exiting the organisation.
Reacting to the development, WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed regret over the decision and urged the United States to reconsider.
“The withdrawal is a loss for the United States and also a loss for the rest of the world,” Tedros said, adding that the organisation remains open to the country’s return.
President Trump had justified the decision by accusing the WHO of mishandling the COVID-19 pandemic, which originated in Wuhan, China, as well as other global health emergencies.
He also cited the organisation’s alleged failure to implement necessary reforms and its inability to operate independently of political influence from member states.
-
Crime3 days agoNDLEA: China-Based Nigerian, 2 Angolans Excrete 236 Cocaine Wraps at Airports (Images)
-
News2 days agoLagos Inaugurates Fire Marshal Club with Safety Walk to Cut Fire Incidents
-
News1 day agoEl-Rufai Arrives at EFCC Headquarters Amid Clashes Between Supporters and Opponents in Abuja
-
News1 day agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
-
Crime2 days agoBREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
-
News2 days agoCivil Society Group Urges Probe into Dadiyata’s 2019 Disappearance After Explosive Claims
-
News1 day agoJUST IN: Security Operatives Clash with El-Rufai’s Supporters at EFCC HQ, Tear Gas Fired
-
News14 hours agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
