News
Nigerian Police Release Activist Following Detention Amid Revolutionary Movement Pressure

The Nigerian Police Force has released a prominent activist following intense public pressure and growing support for a revolutionary movement demanding justice and accountability. The activist, who had been held in what supporters described as an “unjust, unwarranted, and entirely unlawful detention,” was freed late Thursday night.
The release marks a significant moment for the movement, which has been calling for systemic reform and an end to what it describes as state repression. According to sources close to the activist, the police had no legal grounds for the arrest and were forced to capitulate under the weight of public scrutiny and advocacy.
Supporters gathered online and in the streets to celebrate the release, hailing it as a victory for civic resistance and a warning to authorities against future abuses of power.
Police officials have yet to issue a formal statement regarding the reasons for the detention or release.
The statement reads:
”The Nigerian Police Force has finally capitulated to the demands of our revolutionary movement. After subjecting me to an unjust, unwarranted, and entirely unlawful detention, they had no choice but to release me tonight”.
”However, this is not a victory to be celebrated with fanfare. It is not a moment for self-congratulation or eased tongues. It is simply a reminder of what we already knew that when we stand together, when we refuse to bow, even the most oppressive institutions are forced to bend or break!
”I am deeply grateful to every one of you who refused to look away, particularly our strong and ever-firm legal team, the advocates for justice, and the resisters who marched on the streets through this ordeal”.
”You all stood firm, raised your voices, and showed up in person, online, and at home in the diaspora”.
”It is your unwavering solidarity that made this outcome inevitable”.
”This moment is not an end. It is fuel. It is proof that unity works and that resistance is not futile. The struggle continues, fiercer and more focused than ever, UNTIL WE WIN!
News
C’River’s community revives barter market

Image: Barter trade
Akpabuyo Local Government Area in Cross River State has reopened its centuries-old barter market, a unique trade hub in West Africa, as part of activities marking the council’s 34th anniversary.
The celebration, held at the council headquarters, brought together residents, traditional leaders, and political figures who hailed the return of peace to the area.
They described it as the foundation for Akpabuyo’s renewed economic prospects.
Former Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) Deputy Governorship candidate, Dr. Emana Duke Ambrose-Amawhe, said the reopening of the barter market was a landmark development, crediting Governor Senator Prince Bassey Otu for restoring stability in the community.
Since His Excellency came into power, he put all measures in place to ensure calm and peace.
Today, people can sleep in their houses with their eyes closed, and that is why you see this turnout from far and near,” she said.
Dr. Ambrose-Amawhe highlighted Akpabuyo’s natural maritime position, bordered by rivers, Bakassi, and the Atlantic Ocean.
He emphasised that the government investment in dredging, deep-sea port projects, and marine preservation will reinforce its role in trade and agriculture.
“With the pace of growth, Akpabuyo will contribute even more to the economic advancement of Cross River State and Nigeria. More jobs will mean more stability for our people,” she added.
Council Chairman, Hon. Effiom Bassey Effiong, said hosting the first official anniversary of Akpabuyo’s creation was a privilege, noting that the event was made possible by improved security.
“The place is calm and safe. We have Marine Police, the Navy, the Army, the Airforce, and our local vigilantes. Investors from China and other countries are already showing interest; some have even acquired land to build a university and industries,” he said.
Hon. Effiong also revealed plans to remodel the barter market into a world-class commercial hub to attract more investors and cross-border traders from Cameroon and beyond.
News
INTERPOL arrests 1,209 cybercriminals, recovers $97.4m
Nigeria was one of 18 African countries, alongside the United Kingdom, that took part in the operations.

The International Criminal Police Organisation (INTERPOL)’s enforcement agencies across Africa arrested 1,209 major cybercriminals and recovered USD 97.4 million.
INTERPOL Secretary General Valdecy Urquiza, gave the statistics during the 27th INTERPOL African Regional Conference in Cape Town, South Africa.
He explained that the operation, code-named Serengeti 2.0 and coordinated by INTERPOL between June and August 2025, targeted high-impact cybercrimes including ransomware, business email compromise (BEC), and online investment scams. “
The report said that Nigeria was one of 18 African countries, alongside the United Kingdom, that took part in the operation.
The wider African operation dismantled 11,432 malicious infrastructures, ranging from command-and-control servers to fraudulent domains.
In Angola authorities shut down 25 illegal cryptocurrency mining centres operated by 60 Chinese nationals who were unlawfully validating blockchain transactions to generate digital currency.
The crackdown also led to the seizure of 45 unauthorised power stations and mining equipment valued at over USD 37 million.”
News
Nigerian Passport Now N100,000, N200,000 from Sept 1
Applicants abroad will continue to pay $150 for a 32-page, five-year passport and $230 for a 64-page, ten-year passport.

The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) announced that the fee for a 32-page passport with five-year validity will rise to N100,000, while a 64-page passport with ten-year validity will cost N200,00.
The new rates take effect from September 1, 2025.
NIS, in a a statement posted on its X handle yesterday, by the Service Public Relations Officer, Akinsola Akinlabi, said that the adjustment is aimed at sustaining the quality and integrity of the Nigerian passport while ensuring efficient service delivery
The revised charges apply only to passport applications processed within Nigeria.
Before now, the 32-page Passport with five-year validity cost N50,000 after it was increased from N35,000.
Also, the 64-page passport with a 10-year, was N100,000 after being initially increased from N70, 000.
However, passport application fees for Nigerians in the diaspora remain unchanged.
Applicants abroad will continue to pay $150 for a 32-page, five-year passport and $230 for a 64-page, ten-year passport.
-
Crime2 days ago
Two feared dead as violence breaks out at Balogun Market, Lagos Island
-
Business2 days ago
Access HoldCo: Roosevelt Ogbonna Quits Board in compliance with CBN regulations
-
Entertainment2 days ago
Tiwa Savage’s launching ‘This One Is Personal’ new album
-
International2 days ago
US Imposes 50% Tariffs on India Over Russian Oil Imports
-
News2 days ago
Police to conduct bomb explosion exercise at Eko Atlantic City Thursday
-
News3 days ago
BREAKING: NRC suspends Abuja-Kaduna train services after derailment
-
Sports2 days ago
More than 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta
-
News3 days ago
Abuja- Kaduna Train Derail: What Causes Train Derailments?