Connect with us

News

‘Let Heaven Fall,’ Wike Vows To Continue Demolitions In FCT

Published

on

426 Views

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Nyesom Wike has defended the demolition of properties in the nation’s seat of power, saying he won’t be swayed by blackmail.

Wike said the structures being demolished by the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA) are properties illegally built on government lands.

“Let me use this opportunity to tell Nigerians and residents of Abuja, we are not afraid of blackmailing,” the minister said during the distribution of operational vehicles to security agencies at the FCTA Secretariat in Abuja on Thursday.

“In fact, you cannot be in this kind of position and say you cannot be blackmailed particularly as regards this Abuja.

There are so many land grabbers. Some of us have come to put our feet down. Let heaven fall.

It is even better that heaven comes down now so that we would not be fasting again to go to heaven.”

In recent months, the FCTA has intensified the demolition of what it deemed as illegal structures in estates and shanties in Abuja.

According to Wike, while some of the structures pose security risks, the rest were built on lands belonging to the government.

The move has triggered a backlash and protests but Wike has insisted there is no going back and vowed to go after more illegally constructed buildings and shanties.

“We would stop anybody who thinks they will take government land for whatever reason with formal approval.

We would not look at your face. If you like be a civil rights activist or a television personality,” Wike, the immediate past governor of Rivers State, said during the event.

“What is wrong is wrong; no amount of blackmail can stop us. People take government property without approval or documentation.

”Wike’s comment came on the same day that the Senate ordered a probe into the demolitions in the FCT, setting up a committee to look into the development.

The Senate’s move followed a motion sponsored by the Senator representing FCT Ireti Kingibe who raised concerns over the demolitions and called for an order to stop them.

It also set up an investigative committee – headed by the Deputy Senate Jibrin Barau – to probe the demolitions.

The group is expected to also invite Wike to the Senate so he can explain the reasons for the demolitions in the nation’s capital.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Boat Mishap Claims Lives in Goronyo (Photos)

Published

on

16 Views

Residents of Gorau, an agrarian community in Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, have been thrown into mourning following a boat accident that claimed many lives.

Malam Tukur, Head of Operations at the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Sokoto Zonal Office, confirmed the incident. He said details remain sketchy because the security situation has prevented humanitarian workers from accessing the area.

According to him, NEMA officials, working with the National Inland Waterways Authority and state emergency agencies, are en route to the community. Their journey was delayed by an early morning bandits’ attack.

Local sources said the boat was carrying about 40 passengers, including men and women, with the majority of occupants being children aged between 10 and 15 when it capsized.

Superintendent of Police Ahmad Rufai, spokesman of the Sokoto State Police Command, said the command would issue a statement on the development soon.

Over forty five bodies have been recovered so far a local journalist in Gorou community of Goronyo local government area of Sokoto state said.

According to him rescue operations is still ongoing as officials of the National Emergency Management Agency NEMA arrived the affected community. He said about 90 boarded the ill-fated boat and so far only 9 persons have been rescued.

Though this is not an official position, as Humanitarian workers on ground are yet to issue a statement.

Continue Reading

News

Okorocha Sues Uzodinma Over Bid for Imo West Senatorial Seat

Published

on

12 Views

Former Governor of Imo State Rochas Okorocha has dragged Imo State Governor Hope Uzodinma to court over what he has termed the governor’s inordinate ambition to contest the Imo West Senatorial seat despite his subsisting term in office as governor until 2028.

‎In the affidavit attached to the suit filed before a Federal High Court in Abuja, Senator Okorocha states that Uzodinma’s tenure in office as governor will expire at midnight on January 14, 2028, having taken the oath of office and been sworn in on January 15, 2024.

‎He said Uzodinma, whose tenure would not have expired by the year 2027 when the Senate will be inaugurated after the general election in 2027, also purchased expression of interest and nomination forms for the party’s senatorial ticket.

‎He urged the court to declare that it was unconstitutional for INEC to publish the name of Uzodinma as the APC’s candidate when it was not he who emerged as the winner of the primary election conducted on May 18.

‎Mr Okorocha prayed the court for an order directing INEC to recognise and publish his name as the duly nominated candidate of the APC to contest the poll.

‎He alleged that the direct primary election was conducted on May 18 and that he emerged victorious, having secured 150,780 votes while Uzodinma scored 102,158 votes.

‎He is also asking the court to prohibit Uzodinma, whether by himself or through the APC or anyone however named, from parading himself as the nominated candidate of the party to contest the election.

‎Respondents in the suit are INEC, Uzodinma and the APC.

Continue Reading

News

Gov. Adeleke Prostrates Before Elder Brother After Re-Election Win

Published

on

19 Views

Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has drawn widespread praise after a video emerged showing him prostrating fully before his elder brother, Dr. Adedeji Adeleke, in a traditional Yoruba gesture of respect and gratitude.

The clip, shared on social media by media publisher Dele Momodu, captures the re-elected governor lying flat on the floor before his older brother — the father of Afrobeats star Davido — shortly after Adeleke was declared winner of the August 15, 2026 Osun governorship election. In the footage, the governor is seen thanking his brother for his support during the campaign and asking for his prayers. Dr. Adedeji Adeleke responded by removing his cap and offering prayers for the governor and his administration as family members and associates looked on.

Adeleke secured 511,067 votes to defeat his closest rival, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress, who polled 444,815 votes. The Independent National Electoral Commission declared him the winner days before the viral moment.

The gesture has sparked positive reactions online, with many Nigerians highlighting the governor’s humility and the strong cultural values of the Adeleke family. Commenters noted that the display of respect for elders remains a hallmark of Yoruba tradition, even for someone holding high office.

Governor Adeleke has previously described his elder brother as a father figure and trusted adviser whose counsel he values highly.

Continue Reading

Trending