International
King Charles III Diagnosed With Cancer – Buckingham Palace
by Wale Ewedimi
King Charles III has been diagnosed with a form of cancer and has begun treatment, Buckingham Palace said on Monday, just a week after he was discharged from hospital for prostate surgery.
Following the announcement, the 75-year-old Charles’s estranged son Prince Harry made it known that he had spoken with the king about his diagnosis and would visit his father.
His younger son who now lives in California with his wife Meghan said he would travel to see the king in the UK over the coming days, a source close to Harry was quoted as saying by the PA news agency.
Charles, who became king upon the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, on September 8, 2022, has generally enjoyed good health, barring injuries from polo and skiing.
But the palace said that during his recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement “a separate issue of concern was noted”.
“Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer,” the palace said in a statement, adding that he had begun treatment but without elaborating on the type of cancer found or how advanced it was.
The palace said the king “remains wholly positive” and “looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible”.
Plaudits
In the meantime he had been advised by doctors to postpone public duties although he would continue to “undertake state business and official paperwork as usual”, it said.
The king won plaudits for being open about his benign prostate condition, with doctors saying many more members of the public had come forward with symptoms.
The palace added that Charles had chosen to share his cancer diagnosis “to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer”.
Messages wishing Charles a swift recovery flooded in following the shock statement from the palace.
“Wishing His Majesty a full and speedy recovery. I have no doubt he’ll be back to full strength in no time and I know the whole country will be wishing him well,” wrote Prime Minister Rishi Sunak on X, formerly Twitter.
Leader of the main opposition Labour Party Keir Starmer tweeted: “On behalf of the Labour Party, I wish his majesty all the very best for his recovery.”
“We look forward to seeing him back to swift full health,” he added.
Frontline royals
The diagnosis will prolong a frontline shortage of royals created by Charles’s prostate procedure and the almost simultaneous hospitalisation of Catherine, Princess of Wales.
Catherine, 42, who is the wife of Charles’s son and heir to the throne Prince William, underwent abdominal surgery at the same hospital that Charles was treated in.
She left last Monday on the same day as Charles following a stay of around of two weeks and may not return to public duties until late March.
Her husband William, 41, also stepped back temporarily from planned engagements to help care for their three children.
The pair’s absence left Queen Camilla, Charles’s 76-year-old wife, as the most visible face of the royal family.
William is expected to return to royal duties this week.
At the time of Catherine’s operation, Kensington Palace stressed that her condition was not linked to cancer, without elaborating.
Statement from Buckingham Palace below:

AFP
International
Five Critically Injured in Catastrophic Explosion at Upstate New York Church
A powerful explosion devastated the Abundant Life Fellowship Church in this rural community on Tuesday morning, February 17, 2026, leaving five people—including the church’s pastor and four firefighters—critically injured, authorities said.
The blast occurred around 10:25–10:30 a.m. at the church located on State Route 12 in the Town of Boonville, Oneida County, approximately 50 miles northeast of Syracuse. Emergency responders were initially dispatched after reports of a strong gas odor inside the building.
According to New York State Police, a preliminary investigation indicates that four individuals were in the church basement when the furnace activated, triggering the explosion.
A fifth person a firefighter was on the first floor attempting to ventilate the structure and was thrown against a wall by the force of the blast.
The injured have been identified as:
– Brandon Pitts, 43, pastor of Abundant Life Fellowship Church
– David Pritchard Jr., 60, Boonville Fire Chief
– Allan Austin, 67, Boonville Fire Department firefighter
– Nicholas Amicucci, 43, Boonville Fire Department firefighter
– Richard Czajka, 71, Boonville Fire Department firefighter
All five victims were transported to regional hospitals, including Upstate University Hospital and Wynn Hospital, where they remain in critical but stable condition.
The explosion caused catastrophic damage to the church building, which officials now consider “destroyed.”
Thick black smoke billowed from the site following the blast.
State police emphasized that there is no indication of criminal activity at this time, and the incident appears to stem from a propane or gas-related issue in the heating system.
The investigation is ongoing.Community members and first responder agencies have expressed support for the injured and their families as recovery efforts continue.
International
Russia moves to block WhatsApp in messaging app crackdown
Russian internet regulator Roskomnadzor said earlier this week it was further curbing access to messaging app Telegram as well, citing a lack of security.
Russia / Getty image
Russia has “attempted to fully block” WhatsApp in the country, the company said, as the Kremlin continues to tighten restrictions on messaging apps while the the regulator is pushing for a state-developed app as an alternative to WhatsApp.
BBC reports that Meta-owned WhatsApp said the move aimed to push more than 100 million of its app users in Russia to a “state-owned surveillance app”.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Meta could resume operations if it “complies with [the law] and enters into dialogue”, but stood “no chance” if it refused.
Russian internet regulator Roskomnadzor said earlier this week it was further curbing access to messaging app Telegram as well, citing a lack of security.
Telegram is highly popular in Russia and widely used by its forces in Ukraine.
Pro-war bloggers have complained that the move was hampering communications on the ground.Russia has argued that both WhatsApp and Telegram have refused to store Russian users’ data in the country as required by law.
WhatsApp said it was doing everything it could to keep people connected.
“Trying to isolate over 100 million users from private and secure communication is a backwards step and can only lead to less safety for people in Russia,” it said in a statement.
International
Bangladesh votes in first election since Gen Z protests ousted former PM Sheikh Hasina
People are voting for a new government and also taking part in a referendum to change the constitution.
Bangladesh is holding its first election since student-led protests in 2024 ended the 15-year rule of its increasingly autocratic leader, Sheikh Hasina.
BBC reports that as many as 1,400 protesters were killed during the uprising – with Hasina accused of having directly ordered the crackdown, an allegation she denies.
Her party, the Awami League, has been banned from contesting this election
The vote now pits the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) against the Islamist party Jamaat-e-Islami, which has joined forces with a party born out of the student uprising.
People are voting for a new government and also taking part in a referendum to change the constitution.
An interim government, led by Nobel Peace Price laureate Muhammad Yunus, has led Bangladesh since Hasina fledIn November, a court in Bangladesh sentenced Hasina to death for crimes against humanity over her crackdown
-
Crime2 days agoBREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
-
News2 days agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
-
News2 days agoJUST IN: Security Operatives Clash with El-Rufai’s Supporters at EFCC HQ, Tear Gas Fired
-
News2 days agoEl-Rufai Arrives at EFCC Headquarters Amid Clashes Between Supporters and Opponents in Abuja
-
News1 day agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
-
Business4 hours agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
Health1 day agoFederal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure
-
Business12 hours agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
