Connect with us

Crime

JUST IN: 13 dead as police, bandits exchange gunfire in Benue

Published

on

436 Views

The Police Command in Benue says it has neutralized 12 bandits terrorizing the Buruku Local Government Area of the state.

The command’s Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, SP Sewuese Anene, made the disclosure in a statement on Thursday in Makurdi.

Anene said that the command unfortunately lost one of its personnel, Insp. Terfa Anyiatse, during an exchange of gunfire with the bandits.

The PPRO stated that the Commissioner of Police, Steve Yabanet, had on March 6 ordered tactical commanders and divisional police officers to clamp down on criminals in the state.

Anene said that the order became necessary when the command noticed a regrouping of criminal gangs.

She said that following the directives, the Operation Zenda Joint Taskforce embarked on raids across the state.

According to her, on March 19, while some of the operatives were on their way to a criminal hideout at Agwabi, Tombo Ward, Buruku LGA, they ran into an ambush laid by the bandits, who engaged the police in a fierce gun duel.

“The police countered the ambush with superior firepower that subdued the gang.

“At the end of the crossfire, 12 bandits were neutralized, while others escaped with gunshot wounds.

“The bandits were taken to a hospital, where they were confirmed dead, and the corpses were deposited at the hospital mortuary.

“Items recovered from them include three AK-47 rifles, six rounds of live ammunition, camouflage uniforms, and assorted charms.

“Unfortunately, one of the police team members, Insp. Terfa Anyiatse, sustained a gunshot injury and was eventually confirmed dead by a doctor.

His corpse has also been deposited at the morgue,” she said.

The CP commiserated with the family and friends of the deceased officer and prayed for the repose of his soul.

He also extolled the courage of the operatives involved in the operation.

“Similarly, operations carried out around Daudu and Makurdi by various divisions led to the recovery of seven locally made pistols and the arrest of five suspected robbers and 32 suspected cultists,” she added.

Crime

BREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping

Published

on

26 Views

The Department of State Services (DSS) has filed cybercrime charges against former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja, accusing him of involvement in the unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu.

QAccording to court documents, the charges stem from El-Rufai’s statements during a live interview on Arise Television’s Prime Time programme on February 13, 2026. In the broadcast, he reportedly admitted to accessing an intercepted conversation in which Ribadu allegedly instructed security operatives to arrest him upon his return to Nigeria.

Prosecutors allege that this interception seriously compromised national security and public safety, creating widespread fear among citizens by exposing vulnerabilities in high-level communications.

The three-count charge accuses El-Rufai of violating provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act 2024 and the Nigerian Communications Act 2003. He faces allegations of direct participation in the unlawful interception as well as failing to report those responsible for the act to the appropriate authorities.

The development follows intense public backlash and calls for investigation after El-Rufai’s televised remarks, which drew criticism from political figures, including presidential aides, who described the admission as a confession to illegal wiretapping of a top security official.

El-Rufai has previously denied direct wrongdoing in related controversies, framing his comments within broader claims of surveillance practices by government agencies.

The case is expected to heighten political tensions ahead of future elections as proceedings unfold in court.

Continue Reading

Crime

NDLEA: China-Based Nigerian, 2 Angolans Excrete 236 Cocaine Wraps at Airports (Images)

Published

on

26 Views

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested a China-based Nigerian businessman and two Angolan nationals after they excreted a total of 236 wraps of cocaine at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA) in Abuja and Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport (MAKIA) in Kano.

A 34-year-old Nigerian, Ibeanu Vincent Chukwudulue, who relocated to Guangzhou, China in 2024 after business on Lagos Island, was intercepted on February 4, 2026, aboard a Qatar Airways flight from Kano en route to China via Abuja and Doha. Body scans confirmed ingestion, and he excreted 52 pellets weighing 735.95 grams under observation.

The Angolans, 50-year-old Mbandu Martins Makiadi and 52-year-old Ngoma Wilson Fernando from Luanda, were nabbed the same day at Kano airport during clearance for an Ethiopian Airlines flight to Istanbul via Addis Ababa. Mbandu excreted 76 wraps (920 grams) in seven sessions, while Ngoma expelled 108 pellets (1.33 kg) in five sessions.

They claimed recruitment by a Luanda auto spare parts dealer promising $3,000 each for delivery in Turkey.

In a separate operation, NDLEA thwarted an attempt by convicted drug kingpin Olashupo Michael Oladimeji—serving five years at Ikoyi Correctional Centre for a prior 17.9 kg cocaine case—to export 1.1 kg of cocaine hidden in garri (cassava granules) to London via Virgin Atlantic from Lagos airport.

The February 12 consignment, sent via his Dimeji Express Logistics firm, led to the arrest of staff Adedeji Yusuf Gbolahan; investigations traced the plot to Olashupo directing from prison.

Another Lagos export bid involving 1.7 kg of skunk concealed in jerry cans to the UK was foiled, resulting in the arrests of cargo agent Mustapha Quddus Opeyemi and sender Adelaja Taiwo Adetayo.

In Abuja, operatives on February 12 intercepted a waybill from Enugu containing a children’s toy guitar hiding 59.2 grams of Canadian Loud cannabis, leading to the arrest of owner Henry Onuma in Life Camp.

A major bust in Lagos saw NDLEA raid a four-bedroom duplex at Ikate-Elegushi, Lekki on February 13, uncovering a Colorado (synthetic cannabis) production factory. Following a prior seizure of 73 cartons of nitrous oxide en route to Benin City, officers recovered 13.2 kg of freshly produced Colos, precursor chemicals, and arrested Victor Oyedeji and driver Amos Innocent.

Additional seizures included 1.189 kg Colos/skunk, 320 grams methamphetamine, ₦2.975 million cash, and two vehicles from female dealer Oluwayemisi Bunmi in Ibadan; 105,400 tramadol pills from Kamilu Abdullahi in Kwara; and 563.5 kg skunk from five suspects in Edo’s Ovia North East forest.

NDLEA continued its War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization in schools and communities nationwide.

NDLEA Chairman Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) commended operatives for their balanced supply and demand reduction efforts, urging sustained professionalism.

Continue Reading

Crime

COAS Deploys Special Forces to Plateau to Crush Resurgent Banditry Attacks

Published

on

64 Views

The Nigerian Army has intensified its efforts to combat the recent resurgence of banditry attacks in Plateau State, with the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Waidi Shaibu, approving the immediate deployment of the COAS Intervention Battalion of Special Forces to the region.

According to a press release from Captain Chinonso Oteh, Media Information Officer for the Joint Task Force Operation ENDURING PEACE, the newly deployed special forces personnel will join existing troops already operating in the state.

Their mandate is to aggressively and decisively confront the escalating threats posed by bandit groups, marking a significant escalation in military response aimed at restoring lasting security.

Upon arrival at the Headquarters of 3 Division in Jos, the troops were received on behalf of the General Officer Commanding 3 Division and Commander of Joint Task Force Operation ENDURING PEACE, Major General Folusho Oyinlola.

Representing him was the Chief of Staff for Operation ENDURING PEACE, Brigadier General Senlong Sule. Brigadier General Sule urged the special forces operatives to conduct offensive operations against the bandits with decisiveness and ruthlessness.

He commended Lieutenant General Shaibu’s proactive leadership in supplying essential combat enablers and logistical support to ensure the troops can effectively fulfill their mandate.

Major General Oyinlola, through his representative, appealed to residents of Plateau State not to be alarmed by the increased movement of large numbers of troops and heavy military equipment across the state. He emphasized that these deployments are part of coordinated efforts to neutralize criminal elements.

The GOC also thanked citizens for their ongoing support to the military and called for heightened collaboration, particularly through the timely provision of actionable intelligence on the locations and activities of criminal groups.

Such community input, he noted, will be crucial in enabling troops to achieve the desired peace and stability in Plateau State and surrounding areas.

Continue Reading

Trending