Connect with us

News

Insurgency: US Military supplies Nigeria with weapons to combat terrorism

Published

on

351 Views

The United States has delivered critical military supplies to Nigerian security agencies in Abuja, bolstering the country’s ongoing efforts to combat terrorism, banditry, and other security threats amid persistent insecurity.

The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) announced the handover on Tuesday via a post on X (formerly Twitter), stating: “U.S. forces delivered critical military supplies to our Nigerian partners in Abuja.

This delivery supports Nigeria’s ongoing operations and emphasizes our shared security partnership.”

The announcement included an image of sealed equipment being offloaded from an aircraft.

This latest support comes weeks after U.S. forces conducted a Christmas Day airstrike in Sokoto State targeting Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) militants, an operation carried out in coordination with Nigerian authorities.

The strike followed heightened U.S. attention to security challenges in Nigeria, including President Donald Trump’s earlier designation of the country as a “Country of Particular Concern” over reported violence against Christian communities—a claim Nigeria has rejected, emphasizing that attacks affect citizens across religious and ethnic lines.

The delivery underscores deepening bilateral security cooperation between Washington and Abuja. Nigerian officials have previously highlighted ongoing structured collaboration with the U.S., including enhanced intelligence sharing, expedited defense equipment processing, and potential provision of excess defense articles to reinforce counterterrorism operations.

While specific details on the type or quantity of supplies were not disclosed, the gesture is seen as a timely boost for Nigerian forces engaged in intensified operations against insurgent groups in the North-East, banditry in the North-West and North-Central regions, and other violent threats nationwide.

Former Kaduna Central Senator Shehu Sani described the development as “a welcome development and commendable,” urging other countries to emulate the U.S. gesture in helping Nigeria address insecurity.

The U.S. Mission in Nigeria was tagged in AFRICOM’s announcement, signaling continued partnership.

Neither the Nigerian Ministry of Defence nor the Presidency had issued a formal statement on the delivery as of Tuesday afternoon, though broader security engagements between the two nations remain active.

This move aligns with long-standing U.S.-Nigeria defense ties, which have included previous major provisions such as A-29 Super Tucano aircraft and training programs focused on counterterrorism and civilian harm mitigation.

News

NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards

NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.

Published

on

By

42 Views

The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.

The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.

Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.

Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.

Continue Reading

News

Nigerian Law school student dies after falling from hostel rooftop

The deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.

Published

on

By

83 Views

•Faith Alayande

A Nigerian Law School student identified as Faith Alayande, is dead after she fell from the rooftop at Lagos campus.

In a statement on Monday, Aderonke Osho, secretary to the council and director of administration, said that the deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.

Osho said preliminary findings revealed that the student died from injuries sustained after falling from the rooftop of the campus hostel around 4am on Friday.

The Nigerian Law School is deeply saddened by this tragic development.

“Management is working closely with the appropriate authorities and the family to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident, ensure that all necessary procedures are duly followed, and provide further information as appropriate.”

Continue Reading

News

Ekwulobia Suspends New Yam Festival for Kidnap Billionaire Son

A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.

Published

on

By

79 Views

• Joseph Ezeokafor

Ekwulobia community in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State has cancelled its New Yam festival celebration billed for September 4, 2026.

Ohibaba.com learned that this is because of the kidnap of billionaire businessman and owner of Jezco Group of Companies, Chief Joseph Ezeokafor.

Ezeokafor was kidnapped in Awka on Tuesday last week when he stepped out of his house without his security details to attend to his spiritual need, where he goes to offer prays.

Public Relations Officer of Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga who confirmed the development said that serious operation is currently ongoing to save the elder statesman.

His kidnap has sent his community into mourning, causing the postponement of the new Yam festival, an annual festival which holds on a static date every year.

A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.

“The Igwe said the community of Ekwulobia cannot celebrate while their son remains in the custody of the kidnappers,” the source said.

Continue Reading

Trending