Connect with us

Sports

Enugu Gets Hosting Right for 2026 National Sports Festival

Our plan includes delivering a brand-new Games Village and completely renovating the stadium to meet modern standards. 

Published

on

570 Views

The Federal Government (FG) and the Enugu State Government have officially signed a host state agreement for the 2026 National Sports Festival, which will take place in Enugu State. 

The agreement was signed on Tuesday by the Director-General of the National Sports Commission, Hon. Bukola Olopade, on behalf of the FG, and Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State. This formalized Enugu’s hosting rights for the 23rd edition of the festival. 

The signing ceremony was held at the Enugu Government House.

Governor Peter Mbah expressed gratitude to the National Sports Commission and other stakeholders for entrusting the state with the prestigious event.

He assured the public that Enugu would deliver a remarkable and unforgettable experience for athletes and sports enthusiasts nationwide. We deeply appreciate the trust placed in us and the significance of this award,” said Governor Mbah.

“I commend the commission for deeming Enugu deserving of hosting the 23rd National Sports Festival.

We are committed to discharging our responsibilities effectively and upholding the legacy of our forebears.We have already hit the ground running.

Following the announcement, we mobilized our team to begin work on revamping the Awgu Games Village and other facilities. Our plan includes delivering a brand-new Games Village and completely renovating the stadium to meet modern standards. 

“By the end of this year, we are confident visitors will be highly impressed. Beyond renovations, we are building additional facilities to ensure a world-class experience for athletes and spectators, leaving a lasting legacy in the sports world,” he added. 

Hon. Olopade, in his address, praised Enugu’s compelling bid, the state’s existing infrastructure, improved security, and Governor Mbah’s commitment to enhancing sports and social amenities.

These factors, he said, influenced the decision to award Enugu the hosting rights for the 2026 festival, following the 2024 edition set to be hosted by Ogun State. 

Sports

Breaking: Arsenal Win Premier League For First Time In 22 Years

The Gunners, who have set the pace for most of the season, have bounced back impressively since losing to City last month, winning four straight league matches without conceding a goal.

Published

on

By

9 Views

Arsenal have won the Premier League for the first time in 22 years with a game to spare after Man City failed to win at Bournemouth.

Arsenal ended their 22-year wait to be crowned Premier League champions on Tuesday after Manchester City were held 1-1 by Bournemouth.

City had to win to take the title fight to the final day, but the Cherries extended their unbeaten streak to 17 league games, a run which has secured European football for the first time in the club’s history.

After finishing second for the past three seasons, Mikel Arteta’s Gunners have finally made it over the line to end a six-year trophy drought.

Arsenal edged to the brink of the title with an unconvincing 1-0 win over already relegated Burnley on Monday, which took them five points clear of City.

The Gunners, who have set the pace for most of the season, have bounced back impressively since losing to City last month, winning four straight league matches without conceding a goal.

Continue Reading

Sports

AFCON 2027 qualifiers: Nigeria to face Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau

The draw was conducted at the headquarters of the Egyptian Football Association in Cairo on Tuesday, with former Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong serving as one of the draw assistants.

Published

on

By

23 Views

Nigeria have been drawn in Group L of the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, where they will face Madagascar, co-hosts Tanzania and Guinea- Bissau for a place at the tournament.

Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda will host the tournament from June 19 to July 17, 2027.

The draw was conducted at the headquarters of the Egyptian Football Association in Cairo on Tuesday, with former Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong serving as one of the draw assistants.

A total of 48 teams will participate in the qualifiers, with the draw producing 12 groups and 24 teams qualifying for the finals.

Nigeria were drawn from Pot 1 and handed a relatively favourable path to the tournament.

However, due to the presence of Tanzania — who have qualified automatically as co-hosts — in the group, only the top team will qualify for the finals.

The same applies to other groups containing any of the co-hosts, while the top two teams from the remaining groups will qualify.

Continue Reading

Sports

Guardiola debunks Man City exit report

Since arriving at Manchester City in 2016, Guardiola has delivered an era of unprecedented success, winning six Premier League titles, the Champions League, three FA Cups, and five League Cups. His tenure has transformed the club into one of the most dominant forces in world football.

Published

on

By

38 Views

• Pep Guardiola , Manchester City

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has firmly rejected speculation that he is planning to leave the club at the end of the season, insisting he remains fully committed to his role at the Etihad Stadium.

Since arriving at Manchester City in 2016, Guardiola has delivered an era of unprecedented success, winning six Premier League titles, the Champions League, three FA Cups, and five League Cups.

His tenure has transformed the club into one of the most dominant forces in world football.

The Spaniard moved quickly to quell growing rumours during his pre-match press conference ahead of Tuesday’s Premier League clash against Bournemouth.

Recent reports had suggested that Manchester City were already making internal preparations for life after Guardiola, with former assistant Enzo Maresca emerging as a leading candidate to replace him.

However, Guardiola, who still has one year left on his current contract, appeared unfazed by the claims.

“So many times, I have one more year,” he said when asked about his future. “I am here, I have a contract.”

He also dismissed suggestions that the remaining fixtures could serve as a farewell tour, and laughed off reports that the club might name the newly expanded North Stand after him if he departs this summer.

Continue Reading

Trending