Connect with us

News

EFCC’s counsel lied, I wasn’t harassed by Yahaya Bello’s security aides, witness tells court

Mshelia Arhyel Bata, a compliance officer with Zenith Bank, said, at the conclusion of cross-examination on Friday, that he felt the need to make the clarification on the allegation, raised by Kemi Pinheiro, SAN, at the beginning of the day’s proceedings.

Published

on

508 Views

The judge adjourned to July 3 and 4 for continuation of trial and July 21 for ruling on the application to travel.

The fourth prosecution witness in the ongoing alleged money laundering trial of the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, has refuted, strongly, claims by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s lawyer that he was harassed by security aides of the former governor.

Mshelia Arhyel Bata, a compliance officer with Zenith Bank, said, at the conclusion of cross-examination on Friday, that he felt the need to make the clarification on the allegation, raised by Kemi Pinheiro, SAN, at the beginning of the day’s proceedings.

“My Lord, I wish to clarify the matter raised earlier before the commencement of proceedings. I was not harassed by any of the security details attached to the defendant.

“I was not harassed at all, and I felt the need to clarify this, my lord,” he stated.

The Defendant’s Counsel, Joseph Daudu, SAN, also called the attention of the Judge to a story on the EFCC’s website, alleging that the Commission’s witness was harassed.

He also said the EFCC misrepresented the facts of the previous day’s court proceedings.

Responding, Pinheiro, SAN said he would call the attention of the EFCC office to the matter.

The witness, during cross-examination by Joseph Daudu, SAN, the Defendant’s Counsel, also comfirmed that the former governor was neither a signatory to nor connected with any of the accounts presented as evidence.

He admitted that, going through Exhibit 22A, from pages 24 to 413, Yahaya Bello was not also listed on any of the documents as a beneficiary of any transaction.

“I am here to speak on the documents before me. From the document, His Excellency, Alhaji Yahaya Adoza Bello’s name did not feature in any description or as beneficiary in any transaction in the documents before me,” he confirmed.

The compliance officer had earlier mentioned the signatories on the accounts managed for the Kogi State Government House Administration and also comfirmed letters that introduced those who replaced some key officials along the line.

The prosecution counsel, Kemi Pinheiro, SAN, objected, saying that the Defendant’s counsel should restrict his question to the document and not ask the witness who benefitted.

“The witness is not an expert of law,” he argued.

“But the witness, as an expert, knows what to say,” Justice Nwite responded.

The witness had earlier explained that he supervises a cluster of 13 branches within Abuja and other places like Gwagwalada, University of Abuja, Ahmadu Bello way, Baze University, Garki, and Garki Ultra Modern Market, among others.

He also admitted that his clusters did not extend beyond the Federal Capital Territory.

The witness was earlier told to identify the signatories to the accounts and their designations, considering the documents tendered as evidence.

He mentioned the names, ranging from the Permanent Secretary to the Chief Accountant, and accountant.

On the issue of harassment, the EFCC’s lawyer had raised an observation that the witness was harassed by one of the security details attached to the defendant.

The Defendant’s counsel doubted the claim, noting that he had always known his client to be a man of peace.

He, however, assured the court that he would investigate the allegation and report back accordingly.

The judge thereafter urged the defendant’s counsel to thoroughly investigate the matter.

However, at the close of cross-examination, the prosecution witness sought the court’s permission to address the allegation made earlier.

The defendant’s counsel commended the witness for his honesty and integrity in coming forward to clarify the situation.

He then informed the court about the application for the retrieval of the Defendant’s travel documents.

But the prosecution said they had filed a counter-affidavit to the application, arguing that the application was technically incompetent.

Pinherio said the same application was filed at the FCT High Court, adding that it was an abuse of court process.

Daudu, SAN, said the prosecution was the one guilty of abuse of court process.

“We were served with the counter affidavit yesterday and we, overnight, filed a further affidavit to the complainant’s counter affidavit with two exhibits as well.

“My lord, the substance of the application is for the release of his international passport in line with the conditions for the bail that if he needs, he has to apply to court.

“He has medical needs to attend to during the period of the vacation. After eight years of not traveling, he needs to attend to certain aspects of his health,” Daudu, SAN said.

The judge adjourned to July 3 and 4 for continuation of trial and July 21 for ruling on the application to travel.

Justice Nwite had, on Thursday, rejected a move by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to ‘cross-examine’ its third witness in the ongoing alleged money laundering case against the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello.

The witness, Nicholas Ojehomon, Chief Executive Officer of Efab Property Limited, had, at a previous hearing, said there was no wired transfer of fees from the Kogi State Government or any of the local Governments in the state to the account of the American school.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

FG Declares August 25 Eid ul Mawlid Public Holiday

The declaration was announced on Friday by the Minister of Interior, Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo.

Published

on

By

11 Views

The federal government has declared Tuesday, August 25, 2026, a public holiday to mark this year’s Eid ul Mawlid, commemorating the birth of the Holy Prophet Muhammad.

The declaration was announced on Friday by the Minister of Interior, Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo.

In a statement signed by the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Dr Magdalene Ajani, the minister extended the federal government’s greetings to Muslims in Nigeria and across the diaspora.

He encourages Muslim faithful to reflect on the virtues embodied in the life and teachings of the Holy Prophet Muhammad, particularly compassion, humility and service to humanity.

“Every Eid ul Mawlid gives us reason to pause and draw lessons from a life defined by compassion, humility and service to others,” the minister said.

Continue Reading

News

FBI to US court: Lives could be endangered if we release Tinubu’s records

The FBI said it would submit the confidential declaration before August 28 if the court grants its request.

Published

on

By

8 Views

• President Bola Tinubu

The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation has warned that releasing some records relating to President Bola Tinubu could endanger the lives or physical safety of individuals, as it seeks permission to privately explain why the documents were withheld.

The FBI made the disclosure in an application filed before the US District Court for the District of Columbia on August 20, asking the court to allow it to submit a confidential declaration explaining its position.

The agency said it could not publicly disclose the full reasons for withholding some of the records because doing so could expose sensitive law-enforcement techniques and procedures.

The FBI is seeking an ex parte, in camera declaration, which would allow it to provide the judge with its explanation privately and under seal.

The records are being sought by Aaron Greenspan, founder of PlainSite, who filed Freedom of Information Act requests for documents relating to Tinubu from 1992 and 1993.

Among the requests is Tinubu’s entire FBI file and interview records connected to an FBI case.

In its application, the FBI said it had invoked several exemptions under the US Freedom of Information Act, including provisions covering personal privacy, confidential sources, law-enforcement techniques and information that could endanger an individual.

The agency said: “The FBI has determined that it cannot provide on the public record the full basis for the application of Exemptions 7(E) and 7(F) to certain withholdings and that, therefore, an ex parte, under seal declaration is necessary.”

The FBI said it would submit the confidential declaration before August 28 if the court grants its request.

The development is the latest step in a prolonged legal dispute over requests for US government records concerning allegations linked to Tinubu and a Chicago drug investigation dating to the early 1990s.

The case began after Greenspan filed multiple FOIA requests with six US federal agencies.

(The Sun)

Continue Reading

News

Boat Mishap Claims Lives in Goronyo (Photos)

Published

on

29 Views

Residents of Gorau, an agrarian community in Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, have been thrown into mourning following a boat accident that claimed many lives.

Malam Tukur, Head of Operations at the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Sokoto Zonal Office, confirmed the incident. He said details remain sketchy because the security situation has prevented humanitarian workers from accessing the area.

According to him, NEMA officials, working with the National Inland Waterways Authority and state emergency agencies, are en route to the community. Their journey was delayed by an early morning bandits’ attack.

Local sources said the boat was carrying about 40 passengers, including men and women, with the majority of occupants being children aged between 10 and 15 when it capsized.

Superintendent of Police Ahmad Rufai, spokesman of the Sokoto State Police Command, said the command would issue a statement on the development soon.

Over forty five bodies have been recovered so far a local journalist in Gorou community of Goronyo local government area of Sokoto state said.

According to him rescue operations is still ongoing as officials of the National Emergency Management Agency NEMA arrived the affected community. He said about 90 boarded the ill-fated boat and so far only 9 persons have been rescued.

Though this is not an official position, as Humanitarian workers on ground are yet to issue a statement.

Continue Reading

Trending