International
Economic wars: U.S. envoy meets Tinubu in Paris
The United States has opened discussions with President Bola Tinubu on expanding economic cooperation across Africa as part of efforts to deepen trade, investment, and development ties on the continent.
This was disclosed following a meeting on Thursday between President Tinubu and U.S. State Department Senior Advisor for Africa, Massad Boulos, in Paris, where the Nigerian leader is currently on a short working visit.
According to a statement posted Friday on the official X (formerly Twitter) handle of the U.S. Mission in Nigeria, and shared by President Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the talks also touched on key security concerns in the region.
“State Department Senior Advisor for Africa Massad Boulos met with President Tinubu on Thursday to discuss regional security, including working together with partners to build a durable peace in eastern DRC,” the U.S. Mission stated.
“They also discussed expanding opportunities for economic cooperation throughout Africa,” it added.
The meeting comes at a time when Nigeria is working to reposition itself as a hub for investment and economic growth on the continent.
President Tinubu has consistently called for stronger global partnerships to drive industrialization, job creation, and infrastructure development in Africa.
Though specific details of the economic discussions were not disclosed, analysts say the meeting reflects growing American interest in engaging with African leaders on development-focused diplomacy, with Nigeria seen as a critical anchor in West Africa.
President Tinubu has been in Paris since Wednesday, April 2, undertaking a short working visit aimed at reviewing his administration’s midterm performance and setting strategic priorities for the next phase of his tenure.
While abroad, the President has remained actively engaged in state matters, and Thursday’s high-level engagement with the U.S. State Department underscores Nigeria’s central role in regional affairs and global economic conversations.
Tinubu is expected to return to the country shortly, with public attention focused on the outcome of his consultations and the anticipated direction of new policies in the coming months.
International
Trump kicks off his ‘Board of Peace,’ as war clouds loom on Iran
Trump, who has sharply curtailed foreign aid, said that the United States would contribute $10 billion to the initiative whose goals include rebuilding Gaza, which was reduced to rubble by two years of war between Hamas and Israel.
Image credit : AFP
President Donald Trump on Thursday promised $10 billion for a new “Board of Peace,” an amorphous new institution focused first on Gaza that is being launched just as he threatens Iran with war.
While US warplanes and aircraft carriers headed toward Iran on his orders, Trump welcomed some two dozen allies from around the world to the gleaming Washington building of the former US Institute of Peace, which has been gutted and renamed after the 79-year-old Republican.
Trump, who has sharply curtailed foreign aid, said that the United States would contribute $10 billion to the initiative whose goals include rebuilding Gaza, which was reduced to rubble by two years of war between Hamas and Israel.
“Together we can achieve the dream of bringing lasting harmony to a region tortured by centuries of war, suffering,” said the realtor-turned-president, who has previously spoken improbably of building tourist resorts in Gaza.
Trump did not explain exactly where the money would go and his “Board of Peace” has drawn wide criticism for its opaque nature.
Trump will wield veto power over the “Board of Peace” and can remain its head even after leaving office, while countries that want to stay on permanently rather than enjoy a two-year stint will need to pay $1 billion.
In a rambling speech in which he denounced domestic opponents, highlighted stock market gains and hailed his prowess in endorsing foreign leaders during elections, Trump said he wanted to pursue more peace deals.
Crime
BREAKING: Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe Arrested in Johannesburg After Alleged Shooting at Home
Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, the youngest son of the late former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, has been arrested following a shooting incident at his residence in the upscale Hyde Park suburb.
According to reports from South African media outlets including eNCA and IOL, as well as Gauteng police investigations, an employee—described variably as a security guard or gardener—was shot during an apparent dispute at the property.
The victim is in critical condition and receiving medical treatment.Police responded to the scene, where Mugabe was reportedly taken into custody in connection with the shooting.
Some unconfirmed social media accounts and early reports mentioned police negotiators attending amid claims the suspect had barricaded himself, but he was subsequently arrested.
This marks the latest in a series of legal troubles for Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, who has previously faced charges related to assault in Zimbabwe, including incidents involving security personnel and law enforcement.
The investigation by the South African Police Service (SAPS) is ongoing, with more details expected as the case develops. Authorities have not yet released an official statement on charges or motives.
The incident has drawn significant attention online and in regional media, given the family’s prominent political legacy.
International
Five Critically Injured in Catastrophic Explosion at Upstate New York Church
A powerful explosion devastated the Abundant Life Fellowship Church in this rural community on Tuesday morning, February 17, 2026, leaving five people—including the church’s pastor and four firefighters—critically injured, authorities said.
The blast occurred around 10:25–10:30 a.m. at the church located on State Route 12 in the Town of Boonville, Oneida County, approximately 50 miles northeast of Syracuse. Emergency responders were initially dispatched after reports of a strong gas odor inside the building.
According to New York State Police, a preliminary investigation indicates that four individuals were in the church basement when the furnace activated, triggering the explosion.
A fifth person a firefighter was on the first floor attempting to ventilate the structure and was thrown against a wall by the force of the blast.
The injured have been identified as:
– Brandon Pitts, 43, pastor of Abundant Life Fellowship Church
– David Pritchard Jr., 60, Boonville Fire Chief
– Allan Austin, 67, Boonville Fire Department firefighter
– Nicholas Amicucci, 43, Boonville Fire Department firefighter
– Richard Czajka, 71, Boonville Fire Department firefighter
All five victims were transported to regional hospitals, including Upstate University Hospital and Wynn Hospital, where they remain in critical but stable condition.
The explosion caused catastrophic damage to the church building, which officials now consider “destroyed.”
Thick black smoke billowed from the site following the blast.
State police emphasized that there is no indication of criminal activity at this time, and the incident appears to stem from a propane or gas-related issue in the heating system.
The investigation is ongoing.Community members and first responder agencies have expressed support for the injured and their families as recovery efforts continue.
-
News3 days agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
-
News2 days agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
-
Health2 days agoFederal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure
-
Business1 day agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
News2 hours agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
Politics2 days agoPolitical thugs invades Ondo APC ward congress , beats chairman
-
Business1 day agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
Business1 day agoNRS Fixes 2028 for e- invoicing tax collections full takeoff
