News
Democracy Day: Tension rises as protesters mobilise for mass action nationwide
….As Take It Back Protesters gather.
A clash between protesters and security operatives looms today, Thursday, June 12, as the Take It Back Movement, the rally organisers, has resolved to carry out a demonstration at the National Assembly, Abuja and 19 other locations across the country during the June 12 celebrations.
President Bola Tinubu addresses a joint session of the Senate and House of Representatives today as part of Democracy Day activities, setting the stage for a combustible situation, reports The PUNCH.
Tinubu had cancelled the previously scheduled nationwide broadcast in commemoration of Nigeria’s 26th Democracy Day anniversary.
The Director of Information and Public Relations, Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Segun Imohiosen, in a statement on Wednesday, attributed the change to the President’s scheduled attendance at a joint session of the National Assembly today.
He added that the president would instead deliver his Democracy Day address directly from the National Assembly chambers.
“Due to President Bola Tinubu’s scheduled attendance at the National Assembly Joint Session, the Presidential National Broadcast on June 12 has been cancelled.
President Tinubu will deliver his address from the National Assembly,” Imohiosen said.
On the heels of the planned nationwide rallies, the police and other security agencies have beefed up security across the country.
The protest organisers confirmed to our correspondent their intention to take their campaign against economic hardship to the political leaders.
The group earlier planned to rally against the tough reforms implemented by the Tinubu administration at Eagle Square, but later announced a change of venue.
The protest, which is expected to draw participants from various civil society groups, is aimed at dragging attention to what the organisers described as “two years of misrule, hardship, and insecurity” under Tinubu’s government.
Speaking yesterday, National Coordinator, Take It Back Movement, Juwon Sanyaolu, said the shift in protest location did not alter the objective of the demonstration.
“That we earlier said the protest would hold at the Eagle Square doesn’t foreclose the fact that Nigerians cannot organise themselves at the National Assembly to protest the two years of misrule under Tinubu,” Sanyaolu said.“
The unprecedented hardship and insecurity we have experienced under his government are alarming. So, Nigerians will be turning out nationwide to protest against this, and the National Assembly is one of those spaces where Nigerians can exercise their constitutional rights.
We are encouraging Nigerians to move there in their numbers tomorrow (today).”
Sanyaolu cited rising poverty, rampant insecurity, and lack of democratic accountability as key grievances.
“All Nigerians from different walks of life have been mobilised, Nigerians are coming to the streets tomorrow (today) to demand an end to bad governance.“
Nigerians have nothing to lose. Nigerians have been beaten and battered. We are like people who are on the ground; we should have no fear of falling. It is also their constitutional right to protest.
“They have no reason to fear. The worst has happened, and the only way to stop the escalating level of our sorrow, tears and blood they are witnessing is to actually do something by protesting tomorrow. We have nothing to fear and we have nothing to lose but our chains.”
The activist said despite the attacks on some coordinators in Lagos, Gombe, Bauchi and Edo, among others, the protest would go on as scheduled.
“Presently, there has been a nationwide attack on organisers, but we are not deterred. The Bauchi state executives of TIB are being hounded by the police.
“In Gombe, Cross-River, Edo and Lagos, our coordinators are being hounded. We are convinced the only way to end the era of worse governance is defiance; that is what we are going to be doing fearlessly,” he noted.
Sanyaolu, however, cautioned security agencies, particularly police, against arresting or violating the rights of citizens to protest.
The Director of Mobilisation for the protest in the Federal Capital Territory, Michael Adenola, said the movement had gained momentum among young Nigerians who are angered by the worsening economic conditions and government neglect.“
Preparations are in order. Many Nigerian youths, who have expressed frustration over the spate of killings in the country, mass unemployment, and underfunded education, have shown commitment to participate in the protest.“
Other civil society organisations have also committed to mobilising their members. Expect thousands on the streets of Abuja.”
Adenola also cautioned the security agencies to respect the constitutional rights of protesters and refrain from using force.
“Again and again, men of our security agencies have shown themselves to be uncivilised by attacking protesters unprovoked. Our call to them is to at least pretend they are civilised.
“There is no reason to bring lethal weapons to the protest grounds. Take them to Sambisa or Plateau State to combat the real insecurity, not against protesters who are civilly demanding their rights,” he added.
When asked about the police plan to manage the protest, the Force Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, referred our correspondent to the FCT Police Command, Josephine Adeh.
However, Adeh did not respond to calls or messages as of the time of filing this report but he FCT Commissioner of Police, Adewale Ajao, assured law-abiding citizens of protection during the protest.
He said, “We are still on engagement and discussion, until then, we won’t know. We want to advise all law-abiding citizens that they should go about their lawful businesses without harassment from anybody. We urge Nigerians to be orderly. Everybody’s right must be respected.”
Meanwhile, Sanyaolu said the protest would take place in at least 20 locations nationwide.
“In Abuja, we will converge at Eagle Square by 8.00 am. In Lagos, we have four locations: Badagry, Maryland, Agbara, and Toll Gate, all starting by 7am.
“In Akure, Ondo State, we will gather at Cathedral Junction by 8am, and in Benin City, Edo State, at the Museum Ground by 9am. In Niger State, the venue is Gida Matasa at 8am.“
In Yobe, we will meet at the Maiduguri Bypass Roundabout in Damaturu by 7:30am, while in Oyo State, it is Mokola Roundabout in Ibadan by 8am.
“In Bauchi, the protest will be held opposite the Bauchi School of ACR, Yelewam Makaranta, by 8 am.
In Osun State, it will be at Olaiya Junction in Osogbo,” Sanyaolu explained.
News
UNICEF Lauds Nigeria’s Remarkable Progress in Birth Registration (Photos)
ighlights 14 Million Children Registered in Two Years.
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has commended Nigeria for achieving a significant milestone in child rights, with 14 million children’s births officially registered over the past two years.

This surge represents impressive advancement in ensuring every child is counted and recognized through legal identity.
The announcement came during a courtesy visit by UNICEF Country Representative to Nigeria, Ms. Wafaa Saeed Abdelatef, to Senator Oluremi Tinubu, the First Lady of Nigeria, at the State House in Abuja.
Ms. Abdelatef praised the First Lady’s exemplary leadership in championing children’s issues and family welfare nationwide. She described the progress in birth registration as unprecedented in her experience across various countries.

“Birth registration is the first right of every child—to be counted and recognized,” she stated. “It is really impressive. I have served in many places, but I have not seen such progress in two years as we have witnessed here in Nigeria.
“She highlighted key enablers of this success, including the digitalization of the registration system at health facilities and community levels, as well as ongoing legislative efforts with a relevant bill before the National Assembly.

“Things don’t just happen like that; we scale with leadership,” she added, expressing gratitude for the First Lady’s role in driving this initiative and allowing UNICEF to celebrate this “fantastic leadership.
“The UNICEF representative also acknowledged the First Lady’s broader contributions, referencing her involvement in initiatives such as the national library and food bank launches, as well as commendations from African women leaders at the African Union for her continental impact.

She linked these efforts to Nigeria’s Renewed Hope Agenda, which she said is instilling hope for children and citizens alike.In response, Senator Oluremi Tinubu welcomed UNICEF’s recognition and reaffirmed her commitment to ensuring universal birth registration. “Every child counts,” she emphasized, noting that registration immediately after birth grants children nationality, legal identity, and access to essential services like health and education.
The First Lady described the news as a source of joy and a foundation for national development. “This is how nations develop,” she said. While celebrating the gains, she stressed the need for sustained efforts: “We are not there yet. We have to keep at it and make sure every child is counted.
“She pointed out that birth registration is just the starting point, extending to the issuance of birth certificates. Highlighting Nigeria’s lack of a recent census, she noted that starting with children would provide critical data on the child population to guide government planning and resource allocation.
Senator Tinubu also addressed persistent challenges, expressing concern over persistently high rates of tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and maternal and child mortality in Nigeria’s large population.
“These numbers are still high, and it is worrisome,” she said, while assuring that the administration is actively working to position the country for a better future.
She expressed appreciation for UNICEF’s longstanding support and reliable data, pledging continued collaboration in any area of mutual interest. “In any area you want us to collaborate, we are here,” she affirmed. “We want to thank UNICEF for the interest and the work you have done.
“This development underscores Nigeria’s ongoing push toward universal civil registration, aligning with global goals to provide legal identity for all children and support broader child rights and development objectives.
News
Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun
Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.
News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.
Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
News
Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
•Kehinde Jacob Faledon
Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.
Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.
“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.
“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.
-
News2 days agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
News2 days agoDSS suit against SERAP adjourns indefinitely
-
Politics2 days agoRivers lawmakers halt impeachment of Fubara and Odu, following Tinubu’s interventions
-
Business2 days agoNAFDAC Seals 18 Warehouses Over Expired Products in Niger State
-
News2 days agoSenator Mpigi Dies at 64
-
International2 days agoTrump kicks off his ‘Board of Peace,’ as war clouds loom on Iran
-
Sports3 days agoSanwo-Olu Tasks Lagos Sports Trust Fund Board To Look Beyond State’s Funding
-
Business2 days agoWema Bank Announces Grand Event for International Women’s Day 2026 on March 4
