Connect with us

News

Defendants’ Absence Stalls Trial of Arise News Anchor’s Death

The prosecution counsel, Adama Musa, told the court that the defendants were not produced because the correctional facility officers claimed they were unaware of the hearing date.

Published

on

278 Views

The trials of 11 defendants accused of involvement in the death of Arise News anchor, Somtochukwu Maduagwu, were stalled on Monday at the High Court in Jabi, Abuja, following their absence in the court.

Consequently, the trial judge, Justice Mohammed Idris, adjourned the matter until February 10 and urged the witnesses to return to court on that day for the trial.

The Commissioner of Police had charged Shamsu Hassan, Sani Surajo, Hassan Isah, Abubakar Alkamu and Abdulsalam Saleh with nine counts bordering on armed robbery and culpable homicide punishable by death.

Others charged were Suleiman Badamosi, Zaradeen Mohammed, Musa Umar, Mashikur Jamil, Suleiman Sani, and Abubakar Usman.

The prosecution counsel, Adama Musa, told the court that the defendants were not produced because the correctional facility officers claimed they were unaware of the hearing date.

On the part of the prosecution, we are in court with four witnesses who we went the extra mile to ensure are present, they abandoned their offices and are in court today,” Musa said.

The prosecution alleged that the defendants, armed with firearms, machetes, knives and charms, broke into Unique Apartment, Katampe, Abuja, on September 29, 2025.

Watch Video Below:

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nigerian Law school student dies after falling from hostel rooftop

The deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.

Published

on

By

13 Views

•Faith Alayande

A Nigerian Law School student identified as Faith Alayande, is dead after she fell from the rooftop at Lagos campus.

In a statement on Monday, Aderonke Osho, secretary to the council and director of administration, said that the deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.

Osho said preliminary findings revealed that the student died from injuries sustained after falling from the rooftop of the campus hostel around 4am on Friday.

The Nigerian Law School is deeply saddened by this tragic development.

“Management is working closely with the appropriate authorities and the family to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident, ensure that all necessary procedures are duly followed, and provide further information as appropriate.”

Continue Reading

News

Ekwulobia Suspends New Yam Festival for Kidnap Billionaire Son

A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.

Published

on

By

20 Views

• Joseph Ezeokafor

Ekwulobia community in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State has cancelled its New Yam festival celebration billed for September 4, 2026.

Ohibaba.com learned that this is because of the kidnap of billionaire businessman and owner of Jezco Group of Companies, Chief Joseph Ezeokafor.

Ezeokafor was kidnapped in Awka on Tuesday last week when he stepped out of his house without his security details to attend to his spiritual need, where he goes to offer prays.

Public Relations Officer of Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga who confirmed the development said that serious operation is currently ongoing to save the elder statesman.

His kidnap has sent his community into mourning, causing the postponement of the new Yam festival, an annual festival which holds on a static date every year.

A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.

“The Igwe said the community of Ekwulobia cannot celebrate while their son remains in the custody of the kidnappers,” the source said.

Continue Reading

News

NLC disrupts Air Peace flight

The affected Air Peace flight, scheduled to depart Lagos at 6:30am, could not take off as passengers waited amid the disruption.

Published

on

By

14 Views

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) on Tuesday disrupted flight operations in Lagos, leaving passengers scheduled to travel on an Air Peace flight stranded at the airport.‎‎

Our Reporter learned that the “protest was intended to enforce Air Peace employees right to join the union.”

Zulu terminal gate was under lock and key. The protest started at about 5am.‎‎

The affected Air Peace flight, scheduled to depart Lagos at 6:30am, could not take off as passengers waited amid the disruption.

Continue Reading

Trending