Connect with us

News

Court of Appeal Upholds Senate’s Suspension of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

Published

on

236 Views

The Court of Appeal in Abuja has upheld the Nigerian Senate’s suspension of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, representing Kogi Central, ruling that the upper chamber acted within its constitutional powers.

In a judgment delivered on Monday, February 9, 2026, the appellate court affirmed the Senate’s authority to discipline its members, including through suspension.

However, the court set aside related contempt proceedings and vacated a ₦5 million fine previously imposed on the senator over a satirical apology she issued.

The decision partially resolves a protracted legal dispute stemming from the Senate’s six-month suspension of Akpoti-Uduaghan in early 2025, following allegations of misconduct during plenary sessions.

The ruling comes amid ongoing appeals, with aspects of the case potentially headed to the Supreme Court as both sides have challenged lower court decisions.

In a separate development, President Bola Tinubu held a closed-door meeting last night (Sunday, February 8, 2026) with Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara and Minister of the Federal Capital Territory Nyesom Wike at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja.

The late-night talks, confirmed by presidency sources and reported across multiple outlets, focused on efforts to resolve the lingering political crisis in Rivers State.

The meeting is seen as a fresh intervention by the president to foster reconciliation between the governor and his predecessor, amid tensions that have disrupted governance in the oil-rich state.

Details of the discussions remain limited, but sources indicate Governor Fubara later accompanied Wike to his residence in Guzape, Abuja, signaling possible progress toward de-escalation.

News

FG launches GovGuideNigeria to boost citizens governance access

GovGuideNigeria platform is accessible through WhatsApp and the web, and is available in English, Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba to ensure wider accessibility for citizens across different linguistic backgrounds.

Published

on

By

16 Views

The Minister of Communications, Innovation, and Digital Economy, Dr Bosun Tijan, has said that Nigerians can now access the government information and services through the newly launched GovGuideNigeria.

The artificial intelligence-powered platform was launched on May 21 by the government in collaboration with Meta, the National Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (NCAIR), and local developer partner Publica AI.

According to the Minister, the platform is accessible through WhatsApp and the web, and is available in English, Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba to ensure wider accessibility for citizens across different linguistic backgrounds.

Tijani stated that the platform provides users with easy access to information from more than 35 federal ministries and over 60 government agencies.

He described the initiative as part of the government’s efforts to improve public service delivery through technology and digital innovation.

Sade Dada, Head of Public Policy, Meta, said during the launch “Meta’s open-source AI is critical to economic growth and productivity — and GovGuide Nigeria, is a clear example of what this looks like in practice.

Ignatius Willie, CEO, Publica AI said, “Today is not just a product launch. It is a step towards democratising how Nigerians engage with their government. With GovGuide Nigeria, we are not simply digitising access to public services; we are making them conversational, multilingual, and available on the channels Nigerians already use every day.

Continue Reading

News

DHQ says JAS terrorists carried out Oyo kidnap

The DHQ denied reports suggesting it referred to terrorists operating in the South-West as ordinary criminals, insisting that such interpretations were inaccurate and misleading.

Published

on

By

19 Views

Photo: Maj Gen Michael Onoja

The Defence Headquarters disclosed that the attackers behind the Oyo abduction were members of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad terrorist group displaced by sustained military offensives across the country.

Latest week, schools in communities at Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, were attacked by terrorists ; they abducted pupils, teachers and other residents from Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle.

The incident also left several persons dead, while one of the abducted teachers, Michael Oyedokun, was later killed after a video linked to the attack surfaced online.

In a statement signed by the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj Gen Michael Onoja, the DHQ confirmed said that the attack was perpetrated by terrorists of the JAS Group that have been dislodged from other parts of the country due to high-intensity operations being conducted all over the country.

The DHQ denied reports suggesting it referred to terrorists operating in the South-West as ordinary criminals, insisting that such interpretations were inaccurate and misleading.

“It is, therefore, inaccurate and misleading to suggest that the Defence Headquarters, at any point, referred to vicious and violent terrorists as criminals,” Onoja stated

Continue Reading

News

NYSC warns against night travel as 2026 Batch B Stream I orientation begins June 10

The orientation exercise will officially end on Tuesday, June 30, 2026.

Published

on

By

33 Views

The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) announced Thursday that the 2026 Batch ‘B’ Stream I Orientation Course will begin on Wednesday, June 10, 2026, with the reception and registration of prospective corps members across the country.

In a statement signed by Caroline Embu, Director, Information and Public Relations, NYSC said that the registration would end at midnight on Friday, June 12, in all 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

The NYSC added that the swearing-in ceremony for prospective corps members mobilised for the 2026 Batch ‘B’ Stream I service year would also take place on Friday, June 12.

The orientation exercise will officially end on Tuesday, June 30, 2026.

The scheme wished all mobilised Nigerian graduates safe journeys to their various orientation camps nationwide and reiterated its warning against night travel.

It advised prospective corps members to suspend their journeys once it is 6pm and spend the night at any available corps members’ lodge, military formation, police station, outpost, or palace of a traditional ruler before continuing the next morning.

Continue Reading

Trending