Entertainment
Court adjourns Speed Darlington’s N300m suit against IGP to January 27
A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Monday, adjourned a N300 million fundamental rights enforcement suit filed by detained Singer, Darlington Achakpo, popularly known as Speed Darlington, against the police until January 27.
The presiding judge, Justice Musa Liman fixed the date after an application by counsel for the Inspector-General of Police, CSP Audu Garba, seeking a short date to enable him study the further affidavit served on him in the open court by Achakpo’s lawyer, Abubakar Marshal.
When the matter was called, Marshal told the court that the matter was for hearing of the substantive application for fundamental right enforcement of his client.
According to him, the police served on them their counter affidavit on Friday and that a further affidavit had also been filed in response.
However, the IGP counsel, Garba said though he filed their counter affidavit, he was yet to be served with the further affidavit.
The judge asked Marshall when the further affidavit was filed.
“It was filed this morning my lord,” he said.
With the leave of the court, Marshall served Garba with a copy of the further affidavit.
When Marshall sought to move the application, the police lawyer objected to the request.
He said he would need more time to study the further affidavit through to know whether new issues of facts and law were raised to enable him respond appropriately.
Justice Liman adjourned the matter until Januaryc27 for adoption.
In the fundamental right suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1832/2024, Speed Darlington sued I-G as sole respondent.
The artiste, who urged the court to declare that his arrest and detention violated his fundamental rights as guaranteed by the 1999 Constitution, sought four orders.
In the suit filed by a human rights activist, Deji Adeyanju, he sought an order ordering the I-G to immediately and unconditionally release him from detention facility where he is being kept.
Alternatively, he sought an order mandating and compelling the I-G to produce him before the court to enable the court inquire into the circumstances constituting grounds of his arrest and detention and where it deems fit, admits him to bail.
He also sought an order directing the respondent to pay the applicant the sum of three hundred million naira as general, exemplary and aggravating damages for their unlawful and continued detention since the 2024 till date.
Entertainment
Nollywood Actress Aunty Ajara dies after illness
We also use this opportunity to appeal to those sending money not to send it anymore. The one we are contributing for her sake is no more. Thank you so much. We do not want you to send money into that account again.”
Nollywood actress Ajara Lasisi, popularly known as Aunty Ajara, is dead.
Her death was announced this morning by Nollywood director, Tobi Oladele Teemony, also known as Tee Mony.
In a statement shared on Instagram, he said: “With heavy hearts, we announce the passing of our beloved actress, Aunty Ajara.
Aunty Ajara died overnight after a long and courageous battle with illness.
Teemony said that the dead actress received “immense love, prayers, and financial support from kind-hearted people across the world during her illness.
“We are deeply grateful to everyone who stood by her with prayers, contributions, encouragement, and compassion,” he added.
He also urged members of the public to stop sending donations to the account previously shared for her treatment, stating that financial contributions were “no longer required”.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with her family, loved ones, and everyone grieving this painful loss,” the statement added.
Following her death, her elder brother, Ridwan Lasisi, said that the families appreciate the efforts of the Hollywood president and all industry members.
“We also use this opportunity to appeal to those sending money not to send it anymore. The one we are contributing for her sake is no more. Thank you so much. We do not want you to send money into that account again.”
Entertainment
Beggar found to possess three houses, cars, other businesses acquired from proceeds of begging
In addition, he owned two auto-rickshaws that he had rented out to others, and a car for which he had hired a driver on a salary of 12,000 Rupees (about $130).
•Mangilal
A leprosy-stricken beggar on the streets of Indore in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh, turned out to be a true slumdog millionaire, with several houses, vehicles and businesses to his name, the media in India reported.
As part of concentrated efforts to make Indore a beggar-free city, local authorities recently rescued a physically-challenged man who had been begging for years in the bustling Sarafa Bazaar.
Unable to walk, the 50-year-old man, known only as Mangilal, spent his days cross-legged on a small wooden platform fitted with wheels, slowly pushing himself around. He had lost his fingers to leprosy, so he was a sorry sight that made many reach into their pockets for a few notes.
Mangilal always stood on his platform with his gaze fixed on the ground, which only made him more pitiful.
But it turns out this was a carefully planned strategy that made him richer than most able-bodied people in the world.
After he was taken off the street, brought in, given a shower, and provided with clean clothes, Mangilal was questioned by civil servants about his situation, and it turned out that he wasn’t as helpless as he appeared.
He reportedly earned thousands of rupees per day begging and was lending money to shopkeepers in the Sarafa Bazaar at interest.
Subsequent checks revealed that he was not homeless but actually owned three houses: a three-storey house, a second house, and a flat that was given to him by a government welfare programme.
In addition, he owned two auto-rickshaws that he had rented out to others, and a car for which he had hired a driver on a salary of 12,000 Rupees (about $130).
Mangilal himself admitted that the money he earned in Safara wasn’t required for survival, but rather a source of funds for various investments.
Officials are currently checking if the 50-year-old beggar has any bank accounts to his name as well.
During the investigation, it was revealed that Mangilal’s family members were also involved in begging.
“I certainly go there, but don’t beg, it’s the people who put the money in my pocket or throw coins or notes on the wooden board,” Mangilal explained.
Entertainment
Seyi Tinubu Appoints Obi Cubana as South-East Regional Director of City Boy Movement
Seyi Tinubu, son of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and patron of the City Boy Movement (CBM), has officially appointed prominent Nigerian businessman and socialite Obinna Iyiegbu, popularly known as Obi Cubana, as the South-East Regional Director of the youth-focused pro-government group.
The appointment was formalized during a visit by Seyi Tinubu to Obi Cubana’s residence in Abuja on Monday night, February 2, 2026, where he personally presented the letter of recognition and appointment. The ceremony, captured in videos circulating on social media, featured supporters singing President Tinubu’s campaign anthem, “On Your Mandate We Shall Stand,” amid cheers and expressions of loyalty to the Renewed Hope Agenda.
The City Boy Movement is a youth-oriented platform aligned with President Bola Tinubu’s administration, aimed at mobilizing support, promoting youth empowerment, innovation, and regional cooperation ahead of the 2027 general elections.
In a post on his Instagram page on Tuesday, February 3, 2026, Obi Cubana shared details of the event and addressed mixed public reactions to his new role. He reaffirmed his commitment to integrity, community development, and inclusive growth, stating, “I am a City Boy through and through, inside and out,” while emphasizing that meaningful change requires active engagement rather than withdrawal.
The appointment has sparked widespread discussions online, with some praising it as a strategic move to strengthen ties in the South-East region, while others have expressed criticism or skepticism. Obi Cubana urged detractors to respect differing perspectives and focus on shared national progress.
This development comes as part of broader efforts by the City Boy Movement to expand its influence and grassroots support across Nigeria in preparation for future political engagements.
-
Crime2 days agoNDLEA: China-Based Nigerian, 2 Angolans Excrete 236 Cocaine Wraps at Airports (Images)
-
News2 days agoLagos Inaugurates Fire Marshal Club with Safety Walk to Cut Fire Incidents
-
Crime1 day agoBREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
-
News1 day agoEl-Rufai Arrives at EFCC Headquarters Amid Clashes Between Supporters and Opponents in Abuja
-
News23 hours agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
-
News2 days agoCivil Society Group Urges Probe into Dadiyata’s 2019 Disappearance After Explosive Claims
-
News1 day agoJUST IN: Security Operatives Clash with El-Rufai’s Supporters at EFCC HQ, Tear Gas Fired
-
News11 hours agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
