News
Ahead of Inauguration: Foreign Guests, Other Dignitaries Arrive Abuja
Foreign guests and other dignitaries have started arriving at the Federal Capital Territory for the inauguration ceremony of the President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, who takes over as Nigeria’s President on Monday,
Officials at the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria confirmed on Saturday that the authority received a memo from the Federal Government on the expected arrival of presidents and other VIPs, who had started arriving at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.
It was also gathered that though foreign nationals had started arriving at Abuja since Monday, the number of visitors coming through the international and presidential wings of the airport increased significantly on Saturday.
A senior Canadian official said the country’s (Canada) delegation would enter Abuja Saturday night.
It was gathered that the Canadian Government would be represented by the Minister of Housing, Diversity and Inclusion, Ahmed Hussen.
Though the time of arrival of the United Kingdom delegation could not be ascertained, our correspondent learnt that the delegation might come in on Sunday. The UK delegation will be headed by the Prime Minister’s Special Envoy for the inauguration.
The delegation includes Minister of State for Development and Africa at the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, Andrew Mitchell; the Prime Minister’s Trade Envoy to Nigeria and Special Envoy on Girls’ Education, Helen Grant, and the British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Dr Richard Montgomery.
From the United States, those on the delegation include; Chargé d’Affaires, US Embassy Abuja, David Greene; United States Representative, California, Sydney Kamlager-Dove, Undersecretary of Commerce for International Trade, US Department of Commerce; Marisa Lago; Commander of US Africa Command, General Michael Langley, and Director, US Trade and Development Agency, Enoh Ebong.
Others are Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau of African Affairs, US Department of State, Mary Phee; Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for African Affairs, National Security Council, Judd Devermont, and Assistant Administrator for the Bureau for Africa, US Agency for International Development, Monde Muyangwa.
Speaking on the arrival of VIPs for the inauguration of Nigeria’s 16th President, FAAN’s Head of Corporate Affairs, NAIA, Oluwakayode Adeyeoluwa, told one of our correspondents that a memo was sent to the authority about the high influx of VIPs into Abuja beginning from Saturday.
Adeyeoluwa said, “Of course, we should expect that. Dignitaries and possibly Presidents have started coming, because by the memo that came to my table, it shows that they’ve started arriving.
“They started coming into the country since last week, but it peaked today (Saturday) based on the influx at the international and Presidential wings of the Abuja airport.”
When asked if he had an idea on the Presidents that had already arrived, Adeyeoluwa replied, “No, I didn’t follow-up with that, because those categories of dignitaries will come through the Presidential wing of the airport, and that is not under our jurisdiction.”
India sends delegation
In a related development, the Indian government has sent its Defence Minister, Mr Rajnath Singh, as a Special Envoy of the Prime Minister to attend the inauguration of Nigeria’s President-elect.
The Indian Embassy in Nigeria disclosed in a statement on Saturday that Singh will arrive in Abuja on Sunday for the occasion.
“Mr. Singh is accompanied by a high-level delegation comprising senior officials from the Ministry of Defence and Ministry of External Affairs of India,” the statement partly read.
Heavy security at Eagle Square
Meanwhile, operatives of the Nigeria Police, the Armed Forces, the Department of State Services, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and the Federal Road Safety Corps, among others, have taken over Eagle Square, venue of the inauguration.
Military personnel, police officers and other security agents deployed for the match past parade continued their dress rehearsals at the venue.
During a tour of the city centre by one of our correspondents, it was observed that major roads leading to the Central Area of the Federal Capital Territory were partially cordoned off by security operatives.
The Central Business District began to look like a ghost town due to the presence of heavy security operatives. Several helicopters were also seen hovering over the city for aerial surveillance on Friday and Saturday.
Similarly, vehicles belonging to the Presidential Guards Brigade and the Nigeria Police Force were seen moving around the city centre, blaring sirens.
Security at five-star hotels
At the Fraser Suites Hotel, one our correspondents observed the presence of four armed police officers stationed at the entrance and an NSCDC squad car in the parking lot and a couple of military officers in the hotel lobby on Saturday.
Hotel security officers conducted car bomb checks upon entry and also directed guests to go through the metal detectors, as well as put their luggage through the detectors.
Some foreign nationals, believed to be delegates of European and Asian countries were spotted moving in and out of major Abuja hotels. The front desk officer confirmed that the hotel was fully booked and would only be available after the inauguration.
At the Transcorp Hilton, several vehicles both of the Nigeria Police Force and the NSCDC were stationed at the junction of Aguiyi Ironsi Street where the hotel is located.
News
BREAKING: President Tinubu Signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill into Law Ahead of 2027 Polls
President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday, February 18, 2026, signed the Electoral Act, 2022 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2026 into law at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, around 5:00 p.m., finalizing sweeping changes to Nigeria’s electoral framework just days after the National Assembly passed the harmonized version and following the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the 2027 election timetable.
The ceremony was attended by principal officers of the National Assembly, marking a swift assent to the legislation that repeals the 2022 Act and enacts fresh provisions to govern federal, state, and FCT elections.
Key highlights of the new law include a hybrid approach to result transmission: mandatory electronic upload of polling unit results to INEC’s IReV portal where feasible, with manual collation retained as a fallback option in cases of network failures, technical glitches, or other disruptions a provision that sparked intense debate and opposition protests during legislative proceedings.
The Senate’s passage on Tuesday featured a dramatic division vote on Clause 60(3), with 55 lawmakers supporting the retention of the manual proviso against 15 opponents, largely from opposition parties.
The House of Representatives saw rowdy sessions, opposition walkouts, and chants of “APC, ole” (thief) in protest over what critics called a dilution of full electronic transmission.
Other notable amendments include adjustments to election timelines (reducing the mandatory notice period to align with the 2027 calendar, avoiding overlaps with Ramadan), provisions on party primaries (emphasizing direct primaries while allowing consensus in some cases), and clarifications aimed at enhancing procedural efficiency for the February 20, 2027 presidential and National Assembly elections, and March 6 gubernatorial and state assembly polls.
The signing has reignited nationwide controversy. Opposition figures and civil society organizations have condemned the hybrid transmission clause as a step backward from transparency gains in the 2022 Act, warning it could enable manipulation and erode public trust. Former INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner Mike Igini had urged Tinubu not to assent, describing the bill as a “recipe for chaos” that favors elites over voters.
Supporters, including ruling APC lawmakers, argue the changes provide necessary flexibility for Nigeria’s diverse terrain and infrastructure challenges, ensuring elections proceed smoothly even in remote or poorly connected areas.
INEC is expected to issue guidance on implementing the new provisions soon, as preparations intensify for the 2027 general elections.
The development follows months of legislative back-and-forth, public hearings, and heated plenary sessions, underscoring deep divisions over electoral integrity in Africa’s most populous democracy.
President Tinubu’s swift assent has drawn mixed reactions on social media and among stakeholders, with calls for judicial challenges already emerging from critics who view the law as undermining the push for fully digital, tamper-proof elections.
News
Gas Leaks Kill 37 Miners in Plateau, 25 Hospitalised
The miners were said to have inhaled the gas while carrying out their activities underground. Most of the victims were young men between the ages of 20 and 35 who had been engaged in routine mining operations at the time of the incident.
At least 37 miners have reportedly died after being exposed to carbon monoxide while working at an underground mining site in Zurak, Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Eyewitnesses said the incident occurred in the early hours of Tuesday as the miners were extracting zinc.
During the operation, toxic gas reportedly filled the tunnels, leading to a collapse within the mining site.
The miners were said to have inhaled the gas while carrying out their activities underground. Most of the victims were young men between the ages of 20 and 35 who had been engaged in routine mining operations at the time of the incident.
Twenty-five other miners who survived the exposure have been taken to a nearby health facility, where they are currently receiving medical treatment.
Confirming the incident, the Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamisu Anani, described the deaths of the young men as worrisome and tragic, especially as they occurred during the holy month of Ramadan, when many Muslims are fasting and praying.
He stated that the mining site has been secured to prevent further casualties and to enable investigators to determine the exact cause of the gas leak.
He also appealed to the state and federal government to come to the aid of the victims and their families, noting that the incident has left a painful impact on the community.
The member representing Wase State Constituency said efforts are ongoing to support the victims, while investigations into the incident continue.
News
UBA UK targets closing $100bn Africa trade gaps
UBA will leverage its Pan-African network and London operations to unlock capital, strengthen correspondent banking relationships and support African corporates and SMEs in accessing international trade opportunities.
UBA UK’s newly appointed CEO, Loknath Mishra, says that the bank is working hard to close Africa’s $100 billion trade finance shortfall by connecting more African businesses to global markets.
Mishra affirmed this during an appearance on Arise TV’s Global Business Report this week.
“UBA will leverage its Pan-African network and London operations to unlock capital, strengthen correspondent banking relationships and support African corporates and SMEs in accessing international trade opportunities,”he said.
According to him, the global trade order is changing, and supply chains are being rewritten and Africa is increasingly becoming a reliable and strategic partner.
He emphasised that UBA has a significant role to play in ensuring Africa is connected to the globe, and UBA UK plays a critical role in providing hard-currency liquidity, structured trade finance and settlement services through London’s financial infrastructure.
He highlighted that several international banks are retreating from African markets, even as trade across the continent is projected to grow faster than in many other regions.
He noted that the bank’s presence across 20 African countries enables UBA to connect buyers and sellers seamlessly, while UBA UK ensures efficient foreign currency settlement and international trade structuring.
-
Crime3 days agoBREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping
-
News2 days agoJUST IN: Security Operatives Clash with El-Rufai’s Supporters at EFCC HQ, Tear Gas Fired
-
News2 days agoTinubu Commends Fintiri, Ribadu, Vows More Prosperity in Adamawa Visit (Video)
-
News2 days agoEl-Rufai Arrives at EFCC Headquarters Amid Clashes Between Supporters and Opponents in Abuja
-
News2 days agoReverend Jesse Jackson, Iconic Civil Rights Leader, Dies at 84
-
Business7 hours agoDangote Forecasts Major Naira Appreciation to ₦1,100 per Dollar in 2026
-
Business14 hours agoFive Truths Dangote Tells FG About Industrialising Nigeria
-
Health2 days agoFederal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure
