News
JUST IN: Court to hear Akpabio’s contempt claims against Natasha May 13
The Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday adjourned till Tuesday, May 13, for the definite hearing of the contempt claims made against the suspended Senator representing Kogi Central Senatorial District, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, by Senate President Godswill Akpabio.
Justice Binta Nyako fixed the date following a submission by the second and third defendants, who informed the court that they had filed an application drawing attention to the plaintiff’s alleged contempt.
The legal dispute between Akpabio and Akpoti-Uduaghan originated from a disagreement over seating arrangements during plenary on February 20.
Subsequently, Akpoti-Uduaghan, during a television programme where she appeared as a guest, made allegations of sexual harassment against Akpabio.
Following the fallout, Akpoti-Uduaghan approached the Federal High Court seeking an order to restrain the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges, and Public Petitions from investigating her.
In an ex parte motion marked FHC/ABJ/CS/384/2025, she sued the Clerk of the National Assembly, the Senate President, and the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges, and Public Petitions, Senator Nedamwen Imasuen.
On March 4, the court issued an order restraining the Senate from commencing disciplinary proceedings against Akpoti-Uduaghan following her ex parte application.
However, on March 6, the Senate proceeded to suspend her, citing a report by the committee alleging gross misconduct, despite the matter being sub judice.
On Friday, April 4, 2025, Justice Nyako ordered Akpoti-Uduaghan, Akpabio, the Clerk of the National Assembly, the Senate, and Imasuen to refrain from granting media interviews or making social media posts related to the case while it remained pending before the court.
This order followed claims by Akpabio’s counsel that Akpoti-Uduaghan had been granting press interviews despite the court’s directive.
At the resumed sitting on Monday, Akpoti-Uduaghan’s legal team, led by Jibrin Okutekpa, informed the court that the matter was fixed for hearing and that all required documents had been filed.
Charles Yoila appeared for the first defendant; Paul Daudu represented the second defendant; Ekoh Ejembi (SAN) for the third defendant; and Valentine Offia for the fourth defendant.
All defence lawyers confirmed compliance with the court’s previous orders and readiness for the hearing.
However, Daudu informed the court that despite the order against social media posts, the plaintiff had published a satirical post on her Facebook page.
“This matter is coming up for definite hearing. The second defendant has filed its schedule of hearing. Ordinarily, we are ready to proceed, but a further affidavit was served on me just on Friday, which I am entitled to respond to.
“This court ordered that there should be no social media posts, but there was one. The plaintiff herself posted a satirical apology on her Facebook page,” Daudu said.
He argued that the post mocked the court and violated its order, urging the court to hold her in contempt.
Akpabio’s counsel, Ejembi, supported Daudu’s submission, stating that the plaintiff’s Facebook post undermined the court’s authority.
“We are alleging that the Facebook post made by the plaintiff is a mockery of the court’s proceedings. We tender a Punch newspaper report showing she made the post despite the court’s order,” Ejembi said.
In response, the plaintiff’s counsel maintained that the Facebook post was related to the sexual harassment allegation and not the issue before the court.
Okutekpa urged the court to disregard the defendants’ submissions and proceed with hearing the substantive matter.
“Our counter-affidavit concerns only the matter before the court. The satirical post has no connection to it,” he argued.
He also urged the court to fast-track the hearing, noting that Akpoti-Uduaghan had spent 68 cumulative days out of the National Assembly.
Justice Nyako, however, insisted that the contempt issue must be addressed first.
“I cannot proceed with this matter until I conclude on the issue of contempt. If there is contempt, I have to hear and determine it first,” she said.
In turn, Akpoti-Uduaghan’s counsel raised a contempt allegation against all the defendants.
“My Lord, you have paused this trial over a contempt allegation. We also have an issue of contempt against all the defendants,” he said.Justice Nyako cautioned the lawyers, warning that continued disobedience of court orders by their clients could lead to consequences.
“I have the power to summon all your clients to appear in court. If counsel or litigants disobey the court, then the court has no business hearing them—that is my position,” she said.
Addressing Akpoti-Uduaghan’s legal team, she added, “If you have an application for contempt, bring it forward so the court can hear it.
”She added, “You cannot allow your client to disrespect this court. If they are found in contempt, they will face punishment. If not, the court will proceed.”
News
BREAKING: ICPC Uncovers Another Fake Agency Operating Inside SGF’s Office (Video)
President Tinubu Orders Arrests, Suspends Permanent Secretaries
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has uncovered another fake agency operating from within the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF).
According to sources familiar with the investigation, the illegal entity was discovered during an ongoing probe into fraudulent government structures. The so-called agency allegedly functioned under the cover of the SGF’s office, raising serious questions about internal oversight and possible collusion by senior civil servants.
In a swift response, President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of all individuals linked to the fake agency. The President has also directed the suspension of the Permanent Secretaries connected to the matter pending the conclusion of full investigations.
The development marks another high-profile case of institutional fraud being exposed by the ICPC within the Federal Civil Service. Officials say further details of the operation and the identities of those involved are expected to be made public as the probe intensifies.
The Presidency has described the discovery as “unacceptable” and vowed that those found culpable will face the full weight of the law.
News
Enugu Air: NSIB releases preliminary report
The preliminary report is available for download on the NSIB website for members of the public and the media.
The Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB) has released the preliminary report on its ongoing investigation into the accident involving an Embraer ERJ 170-100LR aircraft with nationality and registration marks 5N-ENR, operated by Enugu Air Limited.
This was disclosed on Friday by Mrs Funke Adebayo-Arowojobe
Director, Public Affairs and Family Assistance, NSIB.
The accident occurred on 23 July 2026 at about 14:55 h during a scheduled passenger flight ENU4264 from Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, to Oba Akenzua II Airport, Benin, Edo State.
The aircraft, which had five crew members and 63 passengers on board, landed on Runway 05 at Oba Akenzua II Airport and subsequently overran the end of the runway, entering the unpaved area beyond the runway.
The aircraft struck approach-lighting installations and two fixed concrete structures associated with a decommissioned localizer installation.
All 68 occupants were evacuated without injury using the emergency escape slide.
The preliminary report presents the factual information gathered so far, including information from witness statements, flight recorders, air traffic control communications and a preliminary inspection of the aircraft.
The investigation remains ongoing, and further technical examinations are underway.
The preliminary report also contains four immediate safety recommendations, A-2026-039 to A-2026-042, addressed to the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria and the Nigerian Meteorological Agency, concerning the runway-end environment, control tower line of sight and the availability of meteorological information.
The preliminary report is available for download on the NSIB website for members of the public and the media.
As part of its commitment to public transparency and the communication of safety information, the NSIB has also released a preliminary flight path recreation video based on data available at this stage of the investigation.
News
2027 Polls: INEC Fixes November For Nationwide Mock Accreditation Exercise
The exercise will test the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) and other electoral equipment, allowing the Commission to identify and address potential operational challenges ahead of the polls.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced plans to conduct a nationwide mock accreditation exercise in November 2026 as part of preparations for the 2027 general election.
The exercise will test the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) and other electoral equipment, allowing the Commission to identify and address potential operational challenges ahead of the polls.
INEC Chairman, Joash Amupitan, disclosed this during a courtesy visit by a delegation from the Canadian High Commission to the Commission’s headquarters in Abuja.
He said that the mock exercise was among INEC’s five strategic priorities for 2027, alongside strengthening technology, improving electoral inclusion, building institutional capacity, and combating misinformation.
Amupitan also said that INEC would require about 1.4 million ad-hoc personnel to conduct the 2027 elections across more than 176,000 polling units nationwide.
-
News3 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu Diverts EFCC Funds to NELFUND
-
Opinions2 days agoBREAKING: Lagos Govt Declares Today, Thursday Work-Free to Mark 2026 Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day
-
News3 days agoMilitary Pensioners Protest Exclusion from Tinubu’s Salary Increments
-
News2 days agoUPDATE: Isese Day — Ogun, Oyo Join Lagos to Declare Today Work-Free
-
Politics3 days ago2027 Political Campaign Begins Today
-
News2 days agoTinubu Appoints Abel Enitan Head of Civil Service
-
News2 days ago83 Nigerians Return from South Africa (Video)
-
International2 days agoBREAKING: No Survivors in Kenya Safari Helicopter Crash
