News
Lagos communities decry water scarcity, demand govt intervention

Some Lagos residents have called on the state government to make potable water accessible to reduce the huge amount of money spent on buying water.
They disclosed this in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria on Monday in Lagos, against the World Water Day celebrated annually in March.
They urged the state government to reduce the spread of water-borne diseases in the state by ensuring the provision of portable water.
According to the World Health Organisation, water scarcity affects one in three people in the African region and is getting worse with population growth, urbanisation, and an increase in household and industrial uses.
While some residents attributed the lack of potable water in the state to poor management and inadequate infrastructure, others linked it to a lack of enough investment and human capital.
A resident in Akowonjo Local Government Area, Mr Ibrahim Mustapha, a businessman, who spoke with NAN, expressed dissatisfaction with the scarcity of potable water in their neighbourhood.
“I don’t know why water remains a big challenge in a state that is surrounded by large bodies of water. I am a 54-year-old man, and I can tell you that the last time I enjoyed public-sourced potable water was in my youth days.
We have had to rely on a privately generated water supply, which is not a good thing,” he said.
He called on the state government to make the water issue a priority and get it done once and for all.
Another resident, Mrs Folake Davies, a dentist who lives around Yaba, told NAN that the unavailability of potable water had led to increased household expenditure.
“This has resulted in buying sachet water for drinking and borehole water in gallons for other domestic use. This has added an extra financial burden on residents who are already struggling and posing environmental challenges like plastic pollution.
“Water scarcity also challenges the ability of residents to keep up with sanitation and healthful living habits, while predisposing them to water-borne diseases if the use of contaminated water continues,” she said.
She called on the state government to find a lasting solution to this menace as it affects residents’ way of life.
Another Makoko resident, Mr Saheed Abbas, an artisan, lamented the hardship that members of the community faced in accessing potable water, which had made its retailing a lucrative business.
“Before residents can access clean water in Makoko, they have to trek for a long distance. Some of them even use motorcycles to get clean water,” he said.
Abbas appealed to the state government to make life easy for them with the resuscitation of potable water in the community.
A resident living in the Igando area of the state, Mrs Lydia Anjorin, a business manager, was sad with the amount of money she spent on purchasing water in the area.
“This scarcity makes us spend significant amounts of money on bottled water and rely on potentially contaminated water sources, impacting our health and hygiene.
We demand that the authorities take steps to improve water access by building new water treatment plants, repairing existing systems, and implementing water conservation measures,” she said.
Mr Kayode Aderibigbe, a Lekki resident, expressed his frustration with the area’s water shortage.
“We often go without water for days, and when it’s available, it’s not even suitable for cooking or drinking. I was recently forced to relocate my family to my in-laws’ home due to a two-day water outage. I had to stay at one of my properties in Magodo just to take a bath.
The situation in Lekki is really disheartening,” Aderibigbe said.
However, for Mrs Ese Ayanwun, a resident of Lekki, access to clean water has become a reality in her area due to the efforts of the local water works.
Ayanwun said a water storage tank had been installed in her house that provides them with a reliable source of clean water.
“This initiative has brought significant relief compared to when we had previously struggled with water scarcity and contamination,” she said.
NAN reports that other areas such as Ajah, Ajao Estate, Ebute Metta, FESTAC and others also lack access to potable water.
A general physician, Dr Tunji Akintade, says lack of access to safe water leads to a wide range of health problems, including waterborne diseases, malnutrition, and increased vulnerability to infections.
Akintade stressed that safe and adequate water facilitates the practice of hygiene, critical to prevent morbidity and mortality, especially among children and vulnerable populations.
According to him, contaminated water and poor sanitation are linked to the transmission of diseases such as cholera, diarrhoea, dysentery, hepatitis A, typhoid, and numerous neglected tropical diseases.
“Safe and readily available water is crucial for public health, whether it is used for drinking, domestic use, or food production,” he said.
He urged the government to improve access to clean and safe water to enhance the health of citizens.
However, efforts to reach out to the Public Relations Officer of the Lagos State Water Corporation, Mr Anifowoshe Rasaq, for his comment proved abortive as his number has not been responsive as of the time of filing this report.
Meanwhile, NAN reports that the Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Mr Tokunbo Wahab, in a report, has assured Lagos residents of a constant water supply by 2027.
Wahab said this when he took a tour of the Adiyan Phase 2 ongoing water project at Iju area of the state.
Wahab, who was impressed with the ongoing work, expressed optimism that Lagos residents would soon be enjoying uninterrupted water supply.
He said that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and the Deputy Governor, Dr Obafemi Hamzat, had decided that the water problem must be solved.
“To solve the water problem, we had to come to Adiyan 2, which is a 70 million gallons per day project and the biggest. We have mobilised the contractor, so we just came here to see what they are doing so far, and I am glad the media men took the walk too.
“With 70 million gallons, and then we have Iju with Adiyan 1 alongside micro and mini water works, the majority of Lagos houses and homes will have pipe-borne water, which is our target, and we are looking at sometime in 2027,” he said.
NAN
News
JUST IN: President Tinubu to Embark on Working Visit to Paris

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will depart for Paris, France, today on a short working visit.
This information was stated in a press release today, April 2, 2025 by Bayo Onanuga, the Special Adviser to the President on Information & Strategy.
Onanuga said during the President’s visit, he will appraise his administration’s mid-term performance and assess key milestones.
“He will also use the retreat to review the progress of ongoing reforms and engage in strategic planning ahead of his administration’s second anniversary”.
“This period of reflection will inform plans to deepen ongoing reforms and accelerate national development priorities in the coming year”.
“Recent economic strides reinforce the President’s commitment to these efforts, as evidenced by the Central Bank of Nigeria reporting a significant increase in net foreign exchange reserves to $23.11 billion—a testament to the administration’s fiscal reforms since 2023 when net reserves were $3.99 billion”.
“While away, President Tinubu will remain fully engaged with his team and continue to oversee governance activities. He will return to Nigeria in about a fortnight, the statement reads.
Business
Algiers-Abuja direct flights begin April 6

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday, announced the launch of Air Algérie’s inaugural direct flight service from Algiers to Abuja, set to begin on April 6, 2025.
This is said to strengthen the diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria and Algeria.
According to a statement signed by the Acting Spokesperson for the Ministry, Kimiebi Ebienfa, the new route, which is the result of the Bilateral Air Services Agreement between the two countries, will be operated by the national carrier, Air Algérie, using a Boeing 737 aircraft.
This new service is expected to boost connectivity, encourage tourism, and facilitate trade and investment between Nigeria and Algeria.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is pleased to announce the commencement of Air Algerie’s inaugural direct flight service from Algiers to Abuja, scheduled for 6th April 2025.
“This historic development marks a significant milestone in the growing diplomatic and economic relations between Nigeria and Algeria.
“It is pertinent to state that it is the implementation of the Bilateral Air Services Agreement between both countries, which culminated in this successful venture,” the statement read in part.
The inaugural flight is expected to carry the Charge d’Affaires of the Nigerian Embassy in Algiers, Nigerian community leaders, and representatives from the Algerian government.
The Federal Government has extended congratulations to Air Algérie and offered its full support to ensure the success of the new service.
With affordable fares and Algeria’s proximity to Europe, the flight also offers Nigerians a convenient gateway to Europe, enhancing Nigeria’s position as a regional hub for business, tourism, and transit.
The statement added, “The Federal Government of Nigeria, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and relevant aviation authorities, extends its warm congratulations to Air Algerie and assures all necessary support to ensure the success and sustainability of this new service.
“We believe this initiative will further strengthen the longstanding friendship between Nigeria and Algeria, while opening new opportunities for mutual growth.
“The affordable fare structure and the proximity of Algeria to Europe would also provide Nigerians with a convenient gateway to Europe, thereby enhancing Nigeria’s position as a regional hub for business, tourism, and transit.”
The ministry encouraged citizens and businesses to take advantage of this new connectivity to explore opportunities for trade, tourism and cultural exchanges between the two nations.
Crime
Lynched travellers: Tension in Edo as DSS arrests principal suspects

Operatives of the Department of State Security have arrested two principal suspects involved in the killing of 16 Nigerians of northern extraction in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government last week.
According to a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Monday Okpehbolo, Fred Itua, the suspects were arrested by operatives of the DSS in Uromi, following credible intelligence.
He noted that operatives of various security agencies were hunting for other key suspects involved in the unfortunate incidents.
He said, “Operatives of the Department of State Security have arrested two principal suspects involved in the killing of 16 Nigerians of northern extraction in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government last week.
“The suspects were arrested by operatives of the DSS in Uromi, following credible intelligence. Operatives of various security agencies are hunting for other key suspects involved in the unfortunate incidents.
”In the latest development, the two principal suspects arrested by officials of the DSS have been transferred to Abuja, the nation’s capital, for further interrogation and prosecution by the relevant authorities.
According to reports, the 14 suspects arrested in connection with the killings have been transferred to Force headquarters while investigation continues on the matter.
The transfer of the suspects to Abuja was in compliance with the directive of the Inspector-General of Police.
“I can confirm to you that the suspects have been taken to Abuja as directed by the IGP and investigation into the matter is still ongoing.
”Itua also said he could not confirm if the compensation promised the family of the victim would be financial.
He, however, said the Edo and Kano governments were working together to fashion out a suitable compensation for the family of the victims.
“As you are aware, Governor Okpehbolo met with the Kano State Government and visited the families of the I6 people that were killed, where he promised compensation.
“I cannot say what form the compensation will take but both state governments are talking to ensure that the victims’ families are compensated.
”A resident of Uromi, who gave his name simply as Michael, said residents of the area, where the killings took place, were deserting their villages over fear of being arrested.
He stated that women thronged the Ojuromi of Uromi palace to protest the indiscriminate arrest of people in Uromi following the killings of the 16 travellers.
He said, “What is happening now is that people are leaving their houses where the killing took place for fear of being arrested by the police, who have been mandated to fish out all the culprits.
“I believe the protest by the women on Monday is in connection with the indiscriminate arrest of residents by security agencies.”
Meanwhile, the Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress has claimed that some major opposition political parties were planning to instigate a crisis in the state and make it ungovernable.
The state APC chairman, Jarret Tenebe, stated this during a news conference on Tuesday in Abuja.
“It has come to our attention that the leadership of some major opposition parties in our state, along with two others, has devised a reckless and dangerous plot to instigate crisis and make Edo ungovernable,” he said.
Tenebe alleged that the aim of those behind the plot was to force President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in the state.
“Their sinister objective is clear: they want to force President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in Edo, because they have no confidence in securing victory at the Edo Election Petition Tribunal.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the tribunal will, on Wednesday, deliver judgment in the petition filed by the PDP candidate, Asue Ighodalo, against the outcome of the Sept. 21, 2024 governorship election in the state.
-
News2 days ago
Kogi State enforces ban on rallies, public gatherings amidst riding security concerns
-
Sports3 days ago
UPDATE: How bankruptcy led Nigerian boxer to death in Ghana – NBBofC
-
News3 days ago
JUST IN: FG to shut Lagos’ Independence Bridge for two months
-
News2 days ago
President Tinubu congratulates Jim Ovia on admission to the freedom of the city of London
-
Politics1 day ago
I would have handled economy better than Tinubu – Obi
-
Sports24 hours ago
NTTF U-12 National Hopes Week kicks off today in Lagos
-
Business24 hours ago
Women make up 15% of 288 new billionaires in 2025
-
News23 hours ago
BREAKING: Tinubu Sacks NNPCL Board , Replaces Mele Kyari with Bashir Ojulari as Group CEO