Connect with us

Health

FG Set to Meet Striking Health Workers Again, Today

Published

on

66 Views

The Federal Government and the striking Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) have agreed to meet again today, following the failure to reach an agreement in its last meeting on Thursday. 

This comes about a week after leaders of JOHESU led the union on an indefinite strike following the failure of government to meet its demands.

In a letter dated May 9, 2023, the leadership of JOHESU issued a 15-day ultimatum to the Federal Government over alleged inconsistencies of the government in the ongoing negotiations to adjust the Consolidated Health Salary Structure for health workers on their platforms.

The organization which serves as an umbrella body of health workers’ unions and associations, noted that the government had shown tendencies to shift from their agreed terms and rules of engagement relating to non-discrimination in the determination of the wages and benefit packages of health workers in Nigeria.

While highlighting their demands, the unions called on the federal government to consolidate on Health Salary Structure as agreed in terms of the settlement of September 2017, which had lingered since 2014.

They also urged the government to pay peculiar allowance to health workers under the aegis of JOHESU/AHP as well as the immediate and unconditional implementation of the Consultant Cadre circular of pharmacists in all federal health Institutions.

Other demands include, payments of all withheld salaries of its members in Federal Medical Center in Owerri, Jos University Teaching Hospital, Lagos University Teaching Hospital and their withheld April and May 2018 Salaries; speedy adjustment of retirement age from 60 – 65 years and the exclusion of some health workers in the payment of new hazard allowance as well as payment of COVID-19 allowance balance.

Health

US Pauses Chikungunya Vaccine Over Severe Side Effects

Published

on

58 Views

US health authorities have suspended the license for the Ixchiq vaccine against the chikungunya virus following reports of “serious adverse events”, the drug’s French maker said Monday.

Ixchiq is one of just two vaccines approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for the mosquito-spread virus, which mainly occurs in tropical and subtropical regions but has recently been discovered to countries worldwide.

French company Valneva obtained US approval for the vaccine in 2023, but reports of side effects have prompted reviews in particular over its use in older patients, including by the European Medicines Agency this year.

“The suspension of the license is effective immediately,” Valneva said of the FDA order issued Friday, citing four additional cases of serious side effects, three of which involved people aged 70 to 82.

“As we determine potential next steps, and as the clear threat of chikungunya continues to escalate globally, Valneva remains fully committed to maintaining access to our vaccine as a global health tool,” chief executive Thomas Lingelbach said in a statement.

Public health experts say chikungunya could be a potential future pandemic threat as climate change pushes the mosquitoes that spread it into new regions.

The symptoms are similar to those of dengue fever and Zika virus, with high fever and severe joint pain that is often debilitating and varies in duration.

Chikungunya is rarely fatal, though there is an increased risk of death for babies and the elderly.

In July, the World Health Organization warned of the risks of a major chikungunya epidemic, calling for urgent action.

The agency said it was picking up the same early warning signs as in a major outbreak two decades ago, which swept across the Indian Ocean before spreading globally and affecting almost half a million people.

So far this year, Europe has seen 27 chikungunya outbreaks, a new record for the continent, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control said this month.

AFP

Continue Reading

Health

US Reports First Human Case of Flesh-Eating Screwworm

Published

on

71 Views

The United States has confirmed its first human case of New World screwworm, a parasitic fly whose larvae feed on living flesh, in a Maryland resident recently returned from El Salvador, where an outbreak is ongoing.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the patient began showing symptoms shortly after returning and was diagnosed on August 4, 2025.

“Screwworm larvae literally eat living tissue, which can lead to serious and potentially life-threatening infections if not treated promptly,” said CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky. She urged travelers to seek immediate medical care if symptoms appear after visiting affected areas.

The US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) confirmed the case on August 24, 2025, emphasizing close monitoring of travel-related risks and coordination with Central American health agencies. “We are taking this very seriously and working to prevent any further spread,” said HHS spokesperson Dr. Anthony Fauci.

While screwworm infections are more common in livestock, causing severe damage and economic losses, human cases are rare but dangerous. Dr. Jose Ortega, senior USDA veterinary official, explained the larvae burrow into live tissue, creating deep wounds difficult to treat.

In response, the USDA is building a sterile fly facility in Texas and has temporarily halted cattle imports from Mexico to control the pest’s spread. Mexico is also expanding its sterile fly operations, as Panama’s current facility is insufficient for the ongoing outbreak moving north from Central America.

No animal cases have been confirmed in the US this year, but experts stress that even a single human infection highlights the need for vigilance. “Early detection and treatment are essential to prevent serious consequences, both for public health and agriculture,” Walensky added.

Continue Reading

Health

Chinese Scientists Developing Pregnancy Robots

Dr Zhang Qifeng, who founded the company IT Kaiwa Technology, said the robot will replicate the entire process from conception to delivery where the sperm and egg will be fertilised inside the robot then it will grow to term 9 months later.

Published

on

By

84 Views

Scientists in China are developing the world’s first life size ‘pregnancy robot’ capable of carrying a baby to term and giving birth.

Dr Zhang Qifeng, who founded IT Kaiwa Technology, said the robot will replicate the entire process from conception to delivery where the sperm and egg will be fertilised inside the robot then it will grow to term 9 months later.

The robot aims to offer a pregnancy alternative for women who wish to avoid the burdens of pregnancy and the dramatic changes it makes to woman’s body.

The robot will be equipped with an artificial womb that receives nutrients through a hose.

It is expected to be released next year, with a selling price of around US $13,555.

Feminist activists have been strongly opposed to the use of artificial wombs because it could lead to the ‘end of women’.’

The real question now is, will men, once the artificial womb is perfected, want to keep women around? How would the baby feel the emotions and the bond between mother and child?

(Facebook)

Continue Reading

Trending