Business
Woman demands $250,000 from Promasidor over son’s death at factory
A few hours after reporting to the factory, Patrick reportedly fell from a rooftop into a warehouse and died.
• Patrick Ogbu
One Mrs Susan Ogbu has filed a $250,000 lawsuit against Promasidor Nigeria Ltd.; its parent company, Promasidor Holdings; and several others over the death of her 26-year-old son, Patrick Ogbu.
The suit, filed at the National Industrial Court in Lagos, alleged gross negligence and unsafe work practices.
Other defendants named in the case are Mr Dapo Omolade (operating under the Dapo Omolade Empowerment Initiatives), Hybrid Group Limited, Hybrid HSE Limited, Bohlar Integrated Services, and the Minister of Labour and Employment.
In the suit marked NICN/LA/361/2024, Mrs. Ogbu, through her counsel David Kupolati, is demanding N300 million in compensation, and N150 million in general damages from the defendants, citing wrongful death due to negligence.
She is also seeking a court order for a 21 per cent annual interest on the judgment sum until it is fully paid, along with N5 million, in legal costs.
Patrick Ogbu joined the HSE trainee program operated by Omolade and Hybrid Group on April 1, 2024, under an offer letter dated March 4, 2024.
The program promised technical skills training in health and safety and offered a monthly stipend of N65,000.
According to the claimant, her son, Patrick was, on August 9, 2024 assigned to Promasidor Nigeria’s factory through an arrangement between Bohlar Integrated Services and Promasidor.
A few hours after reporting to the factory, Patrick reportedly fell from a rooftop into a warehouse and died.
“Sadly a few hours after the claimant’s son left home to resume work at the Promasidor (fifth defendant) project site, she received the sad news that her son had fallen from the factory rooftop into the warehouse and died almost immediately.
“The unfortunate, sad and premature death of her son arose due to the gross negligence and unsafe practices of Dapo Omolade, Hybrid Group, Hybrid HSE Limited, Bohlar Integrated Services and Promasidor Nigeria,” she said.
His mother blamed the accident on the “gross negligence and unsafe work conditions” at the site, attributing responsibility to all the defendants.
Mrs Ogbu is also requesting that the court compel the Minister of Labour and Employment to investigate the operations of the DOME initiative and impose sanctions on all responsible parties.
She further seeks an order for a full health and safety audit of Promasidor’s factories and a formal inquiry into the company’s labour practices across Lagos and Ogun states.
Source: PUNCH
Business
IEA chief warns Oil market could enter ‘red zone’ by July as stocks dwindle ahead of summer travel season
Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz..
•Faith Birol
Fatih Birol, executive director of the International Energy Agency (IEA) warned on Thursday that the oil markets could soon enter a “red zone” as global stocks deplete and as demand picks up during the summer travel season.
Birol’s comments came during a Chatham House session on the Strait of Hormuz crisis and global energy security.
Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.
” If it fails to reopen and no new oil is coming online from the Middle East, an ongoing drawdown in global stockpiles combined with an uptick in demand during the summer travel season means oil markets “may be entering the red zone in July or August,” Birol said, without elaborating further.
The IEA has previously said the global market is facing the most severe disruption in its history. That’s despite, Birol said, the market having benefitted from being in the “fortunate” position of entering the crisis with a surplus to help absorb the shock. These stocks, however, are now eroding, Birol said.
Typically, roughly 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes through the Strait of Hormuz, but shipping traffic has virtually halted since U.S. and Israeli-led strikes against Iran started on Feb. 28.
The IEA chief said the “biggest pain of this crisis will be felt in developing Asia and Africa,” adding that he was just as concerned about the impact of the Iran war on global food security as he was on energy security.
Business
Femi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
The Chairman of First HoldCo, Femi Otedola, said on Wednesday “From on a personal note, I’ve appealed to him (Aliko Dangote to allocate to me shares worth $100 million private placement, ahead of the Refinery’s initial public offer.”
“That’s one of the reasons I sold my stake in Geregu plant to come and invest my proceeds in the IPO of Dangote refinery.”
Otedola told journalists when he led top executives of First HoldCo on a tour of the refinery and the fertiliser plans in the Lekki free trade zone area.
The team also visited key project sites such as the jetty, a facility built by Dangote industries to receive large vessels.
The private placement is the latest announcement in the refinery’s Initial Public Offering plan, IPO expected later in the year.
Business
CBN Holds Benchmark Interest Rate at 26.5% Amid Renewed Inflation Concerns
The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 26.5 per cent, maintaining the current stance after its two-day meeting that ended on Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
CBN Governor Olayemi Cardoso announced the decision, noting that the committee voted unanimously to hold all key parameters unchanged. The asymmetric corridor around the MPR remains at +500/-450 basis points, the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) stays at 45 per cent for commercial banks and 16 per cent for merchant banks, while the liquidity ratio is retained at 30 per cent.
The hold comes as headline inflation rose for a second consecutive month to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, up from previous levels, driven largely by food inflation at 16.06 per cent and higher transportation costs. Cardoso emphasised the need for a cautious and vigilant approach to anchor inflation expectations and safeguard macroeconomic stability.
This decision aligns with analysts’ expectations ahead of the 305th MPC meeting and follows the first rate cut in years implemented in February 2026, when the MPR was reduced by 50 basis points to the current 26.5 per cent.
The CBN Governor highlighted ongoing reforms, exchange rate stability, and efforts to improve food supply as factors supporting the disinflation process, even as global and domestic risks persist. The next MPC meeting is expected in July.
The retention signals the apex bank’s priority on taming inflation while monitoring the impact of previous policy actions on the broader economy.
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Natasha emerges PDP Kogi central ticket
-
Business2 days agoIEA chief warns Oil market could enter ‘red zone’ by July as stocks dwindle ahead of summer travel season
-
News3 days agoNYSC warns against night travel as 2026 Batch B Stream I orientation begins June 10
-
Politics3 days agoPeter Obi won’t rule as dictator if elected President — Osuntokun
-
Politics2 days agoKwankwaso denies upteenth times, “I’m not working for Tinubu’s political interests “
-
Politics2 days agoHamzat emerges Lagos APC governorship candidate
-
Opinions2 days agoPAYE Tax, Stakeholder Concern and Country Development, By Tony Monye
-
News3 days agoPresident Tinubu appoints 40 years old Prof Aina as JAMB Registrar
