News
WAEC revokes licenses of 574 schools over exam malpractices
The West African Examination Council (WAEC) in Nigeria has sanctioned and revoked about 574 schools found to have engaged in examination malpractices.
Head of WAEC national office, Dr Amos Dangut, disclosed this while speaking to journalists at the national headquarters in Lagos yesterday.
He stated that the examination body has submitted the list of schools involved to the Federal Government through the Ministry of Education for sanctions.
The schools involved in malpractices would no longer be recognised as WAEC examination centres.
He said, “This year, we have shared with them a total of 574 schools whose recognition has been withdrawn. This measure will also be adopted by all examining bodies.
“These schools are no longer recognised as examination centres by WAEC, and we will not conduct exams there.”
Ahead of the 2025 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), scheduled from Thursday, April 24 to Friday, June 20, 2025, Dangut revealed that 1,973,253 candidates from 23,554 schools have registered for the examination.
This is an increase of 158,627 candidates compared to last year.
He said there are 979,228 males, while 994,025 are females.
Dangut highlighted WAEC’s commitment to leveraging technology, introducing the first-ever Computer-Based WASSCE (CB-WASSCE) for school candidates.
He disclosed that no two candidates will receive identical questions to discourage cheating.
News
200 Kaduna varsity lecturers resign over poor condition of service
Most of the lecturers who left the institution secured appointments in newer universities within and outside Kaduna State.
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has raised concern over the departure of more than 200 lecturers of Kaduna State University, (KASU).
Chairman of ASUU-KASU, Dr Abubakar Abdullahi, disclosed this at a press conference on Monday in Kaduna, lamenting that lecturers, including professors, left the institution due to poor conditions of service and non-implementation of the 2025 Federal Government- ASUU Agreement.
Abdullahi said that most of the lecturers who left the institution secured appointments in newer universities within and outside Kaduna State.
Consequently, the Union has issued a two-week ultimatum to the Kaduna State Government and university authorities to implement and domesticate the agreement.
The union warned that failure to act within the period could result in a total and indefinite strike at the university.
News
Edo House of Assembly Elect New Speaker Idiaye, Hints Why Agbebaku Resign
“Once the leadership is poor, it will drag the work of the governor backwards. So we decided to say no.”
•The new Speaker of the Edo House of Assembly, Mr Yekini Idiaye
The Edo House of Assembly has sworn in a newly elected Speaker , Yekini Idiaye, following the resignation of the former speaker, Blessing Agbebaku.
Speaking in an interview after his swearing-in ceremony in Benin, Idiaye pledged the full cooperation of the house to the state executive, describing Governor Monday Okpebholo as a performing leader who deserved legislative backings.
“He is doing a lot for the people of Edo, so we have to cooperate with him to move the state forward,” he added.
Fielding question on the exit of the former speaker, Idiaye cited the challenges of corruption and poor leadership.
Idiaye said: ” There’s corruption here and there. Every now and then it is adjournment — we resume tomorrow, adjournment for another 30 days, 20 days — and we were all not too happy with this leadership style.”
The new speaker pointed out that a weak legislature directly affected the executive, adding that the house had to act to protect the governor’s performance.
“Once the leadership is poor, it will drag the work of the governor backwards. So we decided to say no.”
News
Defence Headquarters say X Account Compromised
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has issued a notification to the public, media representatives, and relevant stakeholders regarding the compromise of its official account on X (formerly known as Twitter).
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.
He said “appropriate technical measures had been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.”
Uba assured the public that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the account, while advising members of the public to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content posted from the account during the period.
-
Politics17 hours agoKebbi Governor picks new running mate , Ibrahim Augie
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: First Results Emerge as Voting Ends, Collation Begins at Polling Units
-
Politics2 days ago(UPDATED) #OsunDecides2026: INEC Uploads 3,119 of 3,763 Polling Unit Results as Collation Continues
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: Adeleke Urges Tinubu to Protect Votes During Collation
-
News15 hours agoEdo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns Amid Impeachment Plot (Video)
-
Politics2 days agoBREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll
-
Politics18 hours agoOsun poll: ADC’s Salaam, Tambuwal Hail Adeleke for Second Term Win
-
Politics2 days agoBREAKING: Adeleke coasts to victory winning 19 LGs, APC’s Oyebamiji secures 11 LGs
