Connect with us

International

US election: Trump names JD Vance as running mate

Published

on

339 Views

by Wale Ewedimi

Former President Donald Trump has named 39-year-old Senator J.D. Vance of Ohio as his running mate for the next US general election.

Trump made his greatly anticipated and high-stakes announcement on Monday as the Republican National Convention kicked off in Wisconsin.

“After lengthy deliberation and thought, and considering the tremendous talents of many others, I have decided that the person best suited to assume the position of Vice President of the United States is Senator J.D. Vance of the Great State of Ohio,” Trump announced on his Truth Social platform.

Trump stressed that Vance, on the campaign trail, “will be strongly focused on the people he fought so brilliantly, for the American Workers and Farmers in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Minnesota, and far beyond.

”Fox News reports that Vance hails from Ohio, a one-time battleground state the former president comfortably carried in the 2016 and 2020 elections.

The senator’s selection is expected to boost Trump among working-class Democrats.

International

Death toll in Hong Kong fire rises to 44 with 279 still missing, authorities say

Hong Kong authorities say the fires in four of the buildings have been brought under control, but large plumes of smoke are still hanging over the residential estate.

Published

on

By

36 Views

Photo: AFP

At least 44 people have been killed so far in a major fire engulfing public housing apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district, with 279 people not accounted for.

Three construction company executives have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter connected to flammable materials, including mesh and plastic sheets, that may have allowed the fire to spread quickly.

More than 800 firefighters are tackling the blaze at Wang Fuk Court, which has been burning for over 18 hours.

The fire has been classified a level five blaze, the most serious level in Hong Kong.

A baby and an elderly woman were rescued during a late-night rescue, local media reports.

Hong Kong authorities say the fires in four of the buildings have been brought under control, but large plumes of smoke are still hanging over the residential estate.

I can smell it in the air. I can also see a number of small fires still burning in the apartment blocks.

Even more fire engines and an ambulance have arrived this morning to help with rescue efforts

BBC.

Continue Reading

International

BREAKING: Indian fighter jet crashes at Dubai airshow

Published

on

By

97 Views

An Indian fighter jet has crashed while performing a display at an airshow in Dubai, officials have said.

Details later.

Continue Reading

International

JUST IN: Bangladesh war Crimes Court Sentences Ex-PM Hasina to Death

Published

on

115 Views

A Bangladeshi war crimes tribunal has sentenced former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to death.

The verdict, delivered on Monday, November 17, 2025, follows a months-long trial that found Hasina guilty of ordering a lethal crackdown on a student-led uprising last year. She received a death sentence for the killing of several protesters and a life sentence on charges of crimes against humanity.

The ruling marks the most significant legal action against a former Bangladeshi leader in decades and comes ahead of parliamentary elections expected in early February 2026. There was cheering and clapping in the courtroom as the death sentence was pronounced. The verdict can be appealed in the Supreme Court, though Hasina’s son and adviser, Sajeeb Wazed, said they would not appeal unless a democratically elected government, including the Awami League, is in office.

Prosecutors told the court that evidence showed Hasina directly ordered security forces to use lethal force to suppress protests in July and August 2024. A United Nations report estimates that up to 1,400 people were killed during the demonstrations, with thousands more injured, making it the deadliest unrest in Bangladesh since its 1971 war of independence.

Hasina, represented by a state-appointed defense lawyer, denied the charges, calling the tribunal proceedings unfair and claiming a guilty verdict was “a foregone conclusion.”

Tensions in Bangladesh had escalated ahead of the verdict, with at least 30 crude bomb explosions and 26 vehicles torched in recent days, though no casualties were reported.

Continue Reading

Trending