International
Thousands Rally Nationwide in Anti-Trump ‘No Kings’ Protests
Hundreds of thousands of protesters took to the streets across all 50 US states on Saturday, rallying under the banner of “No Kings” to express their opposition to President Donald Trump’s hardline policies. Organizers claimed that seven million people participated in demonstrations ranging from major cities like New York and Los Angeles to small towns in the heartland, including areas near Trump’s Florida residence.
In Washington, D.C., thousands gathered near the US Capitol—closed for a third consecutive week due to a government shutdown—chanting, “This is what democracy looks like!” Demonstrators carried colorful signs demanding protection of democratic values and called for the abolition of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency, a focal point of Trump’s anti-immigrant agenda.
Many protesters criticized what they described as the president’s authoritarian tactics, including attacks on the media, political opponents, and undocumented immigrants. “I never thought I would live to see the death of my country as a democracy,” said 69-year-old retiree Colleen Hoffman, marching in New York. “The cruelty of this regime, the authoritarianism—I just can’t stay home and do nothing.”
Creative and symbolic protests included a giant balloon of Trump depicted in a diaper in Los Angeles, while in Houston, signs called to “Fight Ignorance, not migrants,” highlighting the city’s large immigrant population. Some protesters even waved flags inspired by the pirate-themed anime “One Piece,” whose skull logo has become a global symbol in anti-government protests.
Though largely peaceful, clashes occurred in downtown Los Angeles late Saturday, where police used tear gas and nonlethal rounds to disperse a group of about a hundred agitators who employed lasers and bright flashing lights against officers. The Los Angeles Police Department said a dispersal order was issued and did not report any arrests.
Trump responded to the protests with a series of provocative AI-generated videos posted on his Truth Social platform, showing himself as a king piloting a fighter jet that drops what appeared to be feces on anti-Trump protesters. His allies, including House Speaker Mike Johnson, dismissed the rallies as “Hate America” protests, accusing participants of aligning with Marxists, socialists, anarchists, and extremist left-wing groups—a characterization protesters and observers mocked.
“Look around! If this is hate, someone needs to go back to grade school,” said Paolo, a 63-year-old protester in Washington, amid chants and songs. Others acknowledged the deep divisions within American politics. “Right-wingers say they hate us. I don’t care,” said Tony, a 34-year-old software engineer.
Civil rights advocates emphasized the protesters’ core message. Deirdre Schifeling of the American Civil Liberties Union said, “We are a country of equals, governed by laws that apply to everyone, and we will not be silenced.” Leah Greenberg, co-founder of the Indivisible Project, condemned the Trump administration’s deployment of National Guard troops to Democratic-led cities including Los Angeles, Washington, Chicago, Portland, and Memphis, viewing it as an intimidation tactic against peaceful demonstrators.
While official attendance numbers varied, with New York authorities estimating over 100,000 at one protest and Washington’s crowds numbered between 8,000 and 10,000, the widespread turnout underscored growing public frustration with the current administration and the country’s political polarization.
International
Death toll in Hong Kong fire rises to 44 with 279 still missing, authorities say
Hong Kong authorities say the fires in four of the buildings have been brought under control, but large plumes of smoke are still hanging over the residential estate.
Photo: AFP
At least 44 people have been killed so far in a major fire engulfing public housing apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district, with 279 people not accounted for.
Three construction company executives have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter connected to flammable materials, including mesh and plastic sheets, that may have allowed the fire to spread quickly.
More than 800 firefighters are tackling the blaze at Wang Fuk Court, which has been burning for over 18 hours.
The fire has been classified a level five blaze, the most serious level in Hong Kong.
A baby and an elderly woman were rescued during a late-night rescue, local media reports.
Hong Kong authorities say the fires in four of the buildings have been brought under control, but large plumes of smoke are still hanging over the residential estate.
I can smell it in the air. I can also see a number of small fires still burning in the apartment blocks.
Even more fire engines and an ambulance have arrived this morning to help with rescue efforts
BBC.
International
BREAKING: Indian fighter jet crashes at Dubai airshow
An Indian fighter jet has crashed while performing a display at an airshow in Dubai, officials have said.
Details later.
International
JUST IN: Bangladesh war Crimes Court Sentences Ex-PM Hasina to Death
A Bangladeshi war crimes tribunal has sentenced former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to death.
The verdict, delivered on Monday, November 17, 2025, follows a months-long trial that found Hasina guilty of ordering a lethal crackdown on a student-led uprising last year. She received a death sentence for the killing of several protesters and a life sentence on charges of crimes against humanity.
The ruling marks the most significant legal action against a former Bangladeshi leader in decades and comes ahead of parliamentary elections expected in early February 2026. There was cheering and clapping in the courtroom as the death sentence was pronounced. The verdict can be appealed in the Supreme Court, though Hasina’s son and adviser, Sajeeb Wazed, said they would not appeal unless a democratically elected government, including the Awami League, is in office.
Prosecutors told the court that evidence showed Hasina directly ordered security forces to use lethal force to suppress protests in July and August 2024. A United Nations report estimates that up to 1,400 people were killed during the demonstrations, with thousands more injured, making it the deadliest unrest in Bangladesh since its 1971 war of independence.
Hasina, represented by a state-appointed defense lawyer, denied the charges, calling the tribunal proceedings unfair and claiming a guilty verdict was “a foregone conclusion.”
Tensions in Bangladesh had escalated ahead of the verdict, with at least 30 crude bomb explosions and 26 vehicles torched in recent days, though no casualties were reported.
-
News1 day agoPolice, PSC set up committee to recruit 30,000 new officers
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Prominent Islamic Scholar, Islamic scholar, Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi, dies at 102
-
News2 days agoFG Commissions Model Veterinary Hospital, Mobile Clinic in Adamawa (Photos)
-
News2 days agoPresident Tinubu Okays Creation of State Police
-
News2 days agoCOAS Advocates Battle-Hardened Training For NDA Officers to Meet Modern Warfare Realities
-
News2 days agoLutheran General Church council decries worsening Nigeria’s insecurity
-
News2 days agoGoodluck Jonathan, other African leaders trapped in Guinea-Bissau after military coup
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Tinubu sends ambassadorial nominees list to Nigerian Senate
