Politics
Suswam hints of leaving PDP soon, because of wranglings
Suswam’s comment followed PDP’s fresh conflict after Samuel Anyanwu was reinstated as the party’s national publicity secretary.
• Gabriel Suswam, former governor of Benue State.
A former Benue State Governor, Gabriel Suswam has declared that he will likely quit the PDP if the wranglings rocking the party is not resolved.
The ex-governor said there’s a possibility that he would dump the party, where he served as a two-term governor and senator for an alternative party.
Suswam’s comment followed PDP’s fresh conflict after Samuel Anyanwu was reinstated as the party’s national publicity secretary.
However, the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party is not pleased with the development as the party leaders blasted Umar Damagum, the party’s Acting National Chairman, for Anyanwu’s reinstatement.
The NWC., in a statement released on Wednesday, accused Damagum of making statements and taking actions that allegedly undermine the party’s constitutionally recognised structures.
Politics
APC PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY: Gov Alia Unveils Election Materials, Assures of Transparent Process in Benue
Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia who is the State Collation Officer for the All Progressives Congress presidential primary election in the State has assured members of the party of a transparent and orderly conduct of the exercise across the state.
Addressing members of the State Executive Committee, party faithful and stakeholders of the party Governor Alia urged them to uphold fairness and credibility throughout the exercise.
The Governor explained that the presidential primary would be conducted through the direct primary system, noting that the same method had earlier been adopted for the party’s House of Representatives, Senatorial, Benue State House of Assembly and governorship primaries in the state.
According to him, the exercise would take place across all 276 wards in Benue State, with each ward serving as a voting centre for party members participating in the process.
Governor Alia also presented the election materials received from the party’s national headquarters, stating that the materials had arrived intact and without any diversion.
He noted that the materials had been packaged according to different levels of collation — ward, local government and state — to ensure seamless coordination of the process.
He announced that distribution of the election materials would commence by 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, with designated officers assembling at the party secretariat before deployment to local government areas and wards.
The Governor further revealed that the state party secretariat would serve as the venue for the final collation of results from across Benue beginning from 3:00 p.m. after voting.
He stressed the need for decency, transparency and social justice throughout the exercise and wished all participants success as they prepared to carry out the democratic process.
Politics
ADC Demands Access to El-Rufai, warns ICPC Against Further Intimidation
The African Democratic Congress (ADC) on Friday accused the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) of obstructing access to former Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, after a delegation comprising the party’s National Secretary, Rauf Aregbesola; National Publicity Secretary, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi; and Secretary of the ADC Policy and Manifesto Committee, Mallam Salihu Lukman, was denied access to him at the Commission’s headquarters in Abuja.
In a strongly worded statement, the party said it had previously written to the ICPC Chairman, Dr. Musa Adamu Aliyu, requesting visitation rights for El-Rufai amid concerns raised by his family over the alleged denial of access to doctors and food.
The ADC warned that “Nigeria and the world are watching,” insisting that the former governor was being subjected to intimidation and political persecution, while threatening to mobilise party members nationwide if access to him continues to be denied.
The full statement read:
The African Democratic Congress (ADC) wishes to express its concern over the refusal of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to grant senior leaders of our party access to Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, former Governor of Kaduna State and a prominent leader of our party, who remains in the custody of the Commission.
Earlier today, alongside the National Secretary of our party, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, and the Secretary of the ADC Policy and Manifesto Committee, Mallam Salihu Lukman, we visited the headquarters of the ICPC in Abuja to see Mallam El-Rufai. Despite prior communication and formal requests, we were denied access without any reasonable explanation.
While we were at the premises awaiting a response to our request, the atmosphere suddenly became noticeably tense after no fewer than three truckloads of armed police officers arrived at the facility.
The heavy deployment, which appeared entirely unnecessary and disproportionate to the peaceful presence of unarmed political leaders, created the unmistakable impression that the authorities feared that the mere presence of opposition leaders at the Commission could trigger public outrage.
It is deeply troubling that a simple request by senior party officials to visit a detained colleague was met, not with professionalism, but with a show of force more suited to the suppression of civil unrest. At no point did members of our delegation threaten disorder, incite confrontation, or mobilise supporters to the premises.
Yet the response of the state suggested panic, fear, and an attempt to intimidate not only our party leaders, but also any Nigerian who may dare to question the treatment being meted out to opposition figures.
Such actions only reinforce growing public concern that state institutions are increasingly being used, not merely for law enforcement, but as instruments of political pressure and psychological intimidation against dissenting voices.
It is important to state that the National Secretary of the ADC had previously written officially to the Chairman of the ICPC, Dr. Musa Adamu Aliyu, requesting visitation rights to Mallam El-Rufai, especially in light of growing public concerns regarding his wellbeing and reports that he has faced repeated restrictions on access to family members and medical personnel.
Only days ago, Hajiya Asia El-Rufai publicly alleged that her husband was denied access to his doctor and that she was prevented from delivering food to him while in custody after arriving at the facility in the evening.
Members of his family have similarly raised concerns that even court-ordered medical access was being frustrated through administrative obstruction and arbitrary protocols.
While the ICPC has publicly denied these allegations and insisted that access protocols were followed, the continued refusal to allow leaders of his political party to see him only deepens suspicion and raises further questions about the true nature of his detention.
Let it be clear: Mallam Nasir El-Rufai is not a fugitive. He voluntarily submitted himself to the authorities. Under the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, he is entitled to dignity, medical care, family access, and fair treatment under the law. What we are witnessing increasingly appears to be punishment by process, intimidation through isolation, and an attempt to break the spirit of a leading opposition figure.
The ADC will not stand by and watch one of its leaders subjected to this pattern of harassment and calculated humiliation. Nigeria is watching. The international community is watching. The world is watching.
We therefore demand that the ICPC immediately grant unrestricted access to Mallam El-Rufai by his family, doctors, lawyers, and leaders of his political party. Anything short of this will only reinforce public perception that state institutions are being weaponised against opposition voices.
Politics
ADC Hails Court Ruling on INEC Guidelines as Vindication, Predicts Mass Defection from APC
The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has welcomed a Federal High Court judgement delivered in Abuja, describing it as a major vindication of the party’s earlier objections to certain provisions of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) regulations.
In a press statement issued on Thursday evening, the ADC said the court ruling, which addressed the deadline for party primaries and other contentious issues, affirms the party’s position that some of INEC’s guidelines were inconsistent with the Nigerian Constitution.
The statement, signed by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, noted that the ADC had strongly opposed the strict timelines set for membership registration and the conduct of party primaries.
“The decision of the Court on these issues, including those that directly contradict the Constitution, is therefore a welcome vindication of our position,” the party said.
The ADC further described the judgement as a positive development for Nigerian democracy, particularly as it removes restrictions that had limited politicians’ ability to switch parties or seek alternative platforms ahead of elections.
“We believed at the time that that particular restriction was designed to prevent people from leaving the ruling party, APC,” the statement added. “Now that the court has ruled against it, we are sure that, in the coming days, we will witness a mass exodus from the ruling party.”
The ruling is expected to have significant implications for the political landscape as parties prepare for future elections.
-
Business3 days agoFemi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
-
Politics3 days agoAtiku Appears Before ADC Presidential Screening Panel
-
Politics3 days agoGov Fubara withdrawals from governorship race
-
Entertainment3 days agoWizkid Becomes First African Artist to Surpass 11 Billion Spotify Streams
-
Entertainment3 days ago‘God Took Him’ — Singer Niniola Announces Death of Husband Michael Ndika
-
Politics2 days ago2027: Natasha emerges PDP Kogi central ticket
-
Politics3 days agoNDC Clears Peter Obi as Sole Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election
-
Business2 days agoIEA chief warns Oil market could enter ‘red zone’ by July as stocks dwindle ahead of summer travel season
