Connect with us

International

Students in America Lament Loan Burden

Published

on

310 Views

Americans are currently lamenting about the student loan burden which some students are kicking against.

If the United States Supreme Court had not overruled President Joe Biden’s programme to cancel billions of dollars in student debt, Satra D. Taylor, who borrowed $40,000 to complete her studies, could have seen that amount reduced by half.

Now the 27-year-old – who used the loan to study at the University of Michigan, supplementing a scholarship and other financial aid – is back on the hook for the whole sum.

“We created this unjust, inequitable, expensive, higher education system and so we need to redress it,” she told AFP, standing before the high court.

Biden’s forgiveness programme was meant to lift more than $400 billion in student debt weighing down the lives of millions of lower and middle-income Americans.

Certain borrowers would have been eligible to receive $20,000 in cancellations, while the vast majority were eligible for $10,000.

But the court overruled the programme Friday, stating that given the large sum, the president had overstepped his powers.

“Any American who wants to pursue higher education should be able to do so,” Taylor said.

“We have students now who have not acquired the generational wealth to pay for their cost of college, it needs to be debt-free,” added Taylor, who works for the youth advocacy group Young Invincibles.

Taylor said she was not surprised given the Supreme Court’s conservative majority, which on Thursday banned the use of affirmative action in university admission policies.

Taylor, who is African American, said the loan forgiveness decision was a setback for Black and Latino students who “would have disproportionately benefitted from this relief.”

“This is absolutely not only a social justice issue, but also a racial equity issue.”
– ‘Future generations’ –
Mina Schultz, 37, who borrowed approximately $65,000 for her studies, emphasized the impact student debt has on the entire economy.

When the pandemic hit and student loan repayments were frozen, it was “a blessing,” she told AFP from outside the Supreme Court.

People were “able to contribute more to the economy” by spending money elsewhere, whether on food as prices surged due to inflation or on things like rent, the George Washington University graduate said.

Schultz would have benefited from $10,000 in debt cancellation, which “would have been really helpful.”

That sort of money “is a huge deal to a lot of people,” said Schultz, who will be forking over some $340 per month when payments resume in several months.

Enjoying a seemingly debt-free life during the repayment pause, she was able to move out of her studio apartment and into a one-bedroom unit.

Nearby, Shanna Hayes, 34, could not contain her emotion as she spoke before several cameras: Her debt, originally $130,000, now exceeds $150,000 due to compounding interest that has accrued over the past 11 years.

“I ask you to remember that the student debt crisis impacts our grandparents, parents… children and future generations,” she told the reporters.

AFP

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

Russia moves to block WhatsApp in messaging app crackdown

Russian internet regulator Roskomnadzor said earlier this week it was further curbing access to messaging app Telegram as well, citing a lack of security.

Published

on

By

39 Views

Russia / Getty image

Russia has “attempted to fully block” WhatsApp in the country, the company said, as the Kremlin continues to tighten restrictions on messaging apps while the the regulator is pushing for a state-developed app as an alternative to WhatsApp.

BBC reports that Meta-owned WhatsApp said the move aimed to push more than 100 million of its app users in Russia to a “state-owned surveillance app”.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Meta could resume operations if it “complies with [the law] and enters into dialogue”, but stood “no chance” if it refused.

Russian internet regulator Roskomnadzor said earlier this week it was further curbing access to messaging app Telegram as well, citing a lack of security.

Telegram is highly popular in Russia and widely used by its forces in Ukraine.

Pro-war bloggers have complained that the move was hampering communications on the ground.Russia has argued that both WhatsApp and Telegram have refused to store Russian users’ data in the country as required by law.

WhatsApp said it was doing everything it could to keep people connected.

“Trying to isolate over 100 million users from private and secure communication is a backwards step and can only lead to less safety for people in Russia,” it said in a statement.

Continue Reading

International

Bangladesh votes in first election since Gen Z protests ousted former PM Sheikh Hasina

People are voting for a new government and also taking part in a referendum to change the constitution.

Published

on

By

40 Views

Bangladesh is holding its first election since student-led protests in 2024 ended the 15-year rule of its increasingly autocratic leader, Sheikh Hasina.

BBC reports that as many as 1,400 protesters were killed during the uprising – with Hasina accused of having directly ordered the crackdown, an allegation she denies.

Her party, the Awami League, has been banned from contesting this election

The vote now pits the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) against the Islamist party Jamaat-e-Islami, which has joined forces with a party born out of the student uprising.

People are voting for a new government and also taking part in a referendum to change the constitution.

An interim government, led by Nobel Peace Price laureate Muhammad Yunus, has led Bangladesh since Hasina fledIn November, a court in Bangladesh sentenced Hasina to death for crimes against humanity over her crackdown

Continue Reading

International

Renowned Gospel Singer and Worship Leader Ron Kenoly Dies at 81

Published

on

84 Views

Dr. Ron Kenoly, the celebrated American gospel singer, worship leader, and songwriter whose powerful anthems have inspired millions worldwide, has passed away at the age of 81.

Kenoly, widely regarded as one of the pioneers of contemporary praise and worship music, was best known for timeless classics such as “Ancient of Days,” “Lift Him Up,” “Sing Out,” “As for Me and My House,” “I Will Come and Bow Down,” and “Jesus Is Alive.” His music, characterized by joyful, exuberant praise and a deep focus on God’s manifest presence, became staples in churches, conferences, and worship gatherings across denominations and continents.

Born on December 6, 1944, in Coffeyville, Kansas, Kenoly served in the United States Air Force before transitioning into full-time ministry. He served as a music pastor and later earned a Doctorate in Ministry of Sacred Music in 1996. His breakthrough came through recordings with Integrity Music in the 1990s, which propelled his ministry to global prominence.

Over the course of his career, Kenoly toured extensively, ministering in more than 120 nations and recording numerous live worship albums that captured the energy and spiritual intensity of his live sessions. His work influenced generations of worship leaders, choirs, and congregations, helping shape modern gospel and praise music.

No official cause of death has been released at this time. Further details and statements are expected from his family or representatives in the coming days.

Ron Kenoly’s legacy endures through his enduring catalog of songs that continue to uplift and draw believers into worship around the world.

Continue Reading

Trending