Connect with us

News

Speakership race: Doguwa Abandons G7, Steps Down For Abbas

Published

on

481 Views

The Majority Leader of the House of Representatives, Ado Doguwa, and five other aspirants have stepped down from the Speaker and Deputy Speakership race.

The aspirants announced their withdrawal at a meeting of members-elect under the auspices of the ‘10th Joint Task’ in Abuja on Wednesday night.

The speakership aspirants, Ado Doguwa (APC-Kano), Abdulraheem Olaoye (APC-Ogun), Makki Yalleman (APC-Jigawa) stepped down for Tajudeen Abbas (APC-Kaduna)

Also, the deputy speakership aspirants, Abiola Makinde (APC-Ondo), Francis Waive (APC-Delta), and Julius Ihonberev (APC-Edo) stepped down for Benjamin Kalu (APC-Abia)

The ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) had earlier endorsed Abbas and Kalu for the office of the Speaker and Deputy Speaker, respectively.

The endorsement was further strengthened by the Minority Party Forum, a group of about 70 members-elect, who announced their support for the duo.

Speaking on behalf of the speakership aspirants, Doguwa said they had come to join the Abbas/Kalu campaign, adding that they will support the party’s choice.

He said: “I want to say on behalf of these great men around me here, that we have individually and collectively decided to surrender our bid to become Speaker this time around.

“We have resolved to support our great party and the man they have chosen to be Speaker, Tajudeen Abbas.”

Speaking on behalf of the deputy speaker aspirants, Ihonberev said the three of them wanted to be Deputy Speaker, believing that it will be zoned in their favour but it turned out differently.

The lawmaker said: “As loyal party persons, we decided to align with those that have been identified by the party

“The integration, capacity, and ability to carry people along, transparency and the energy to mobilise ideas that would change Nigeria for the better.

“We want to say we are absolutely, undilutedly in support of the ticket as announced by the party that Tajudeen Abbas will be our next Speaker and Benjamin Kalu will be the next Deputy Speaker.

“We want to assure you that we are prepared to do all it takes to ensure the success of this project.”

However, the Deputy Speaker, Ahmed Wase, the Chairman Committee on Appropriation, Muktar Betara, the Chairman Committee on Water Resources, Sada Soli, Mariam Onouha, and Yusuf Gagdi are still in the race.

The National Working Committee (NWC) of the APC, on May 9, zoned the Senate Presidency of the 10th National Assembly to the South-South and the Speakership of the House of Representatives to the North-West.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Senate Rule Amendment: Debate Should Focus on Institutional Stability, Not Personalities – Eyiboh

Published

on

19 Views

The heated controversy triggered by the recent amendment to the Senate Standing Rules has been dominated by personalities and emotions rather than substantive institutional issues, Rt Hon Eseme Eyiboh has said.

In a strongly worded statement, the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the Senate President argued that the core question before the Senate is not about Senator Godswill Akpabio or Senator Adams Oshiomhole, but whether Nigeria’s legislature should strengthen itself through rules that promote continuity, competence, and long-term stability.

Eyiboh noted that every serious institution worldwide periodically reviews and updates its rules in response to practical experience. “The refusal to review procedures in the face of experience is often a sign of stagnation, not democracy,” he said.

The amendment, which sets a minimum legislative experience threshold for senators aspiring to presiding and principal offices, should be examined through the lens of institutional development, he added.

The former House of Representatives member emphasised that the Senate Presidency is one of Nigeria’s most sensitive constitutional positions. It demands more than political popularity — it requires deep knowledge of parliamentary procedures, committee systems, constitutional interpretation, negotiation, and intergovernmental relations.

“Experience matters,” Eyiboh stressed.

He acknowledged that critics have valid concerns that experience requirements could entrench incumbents and create a closed oligarchy. However, he maintained that the proper response is not to reject minimum standards, but to set a reasonable bar — such as one full term or proven committee leadership — and commit to periodic review to prevent the rule from becoming a barrier to fresh talent.

“Experience without openness becomes arrogance; openness without experience becomes amateurism,” he said. The amendment, according to him, tilts towards correcting amateurism while safeguarding institutional stability.

Eyiboh dismissed suggestions that the rule change was merely intended to shrink competition or protect personal interests. He argued that institutions grow stronger by learning from experience and refining their processes, not by freezing rules indefinitely.

On calls for Senate President Godswill Akpabio to resign if the new qualification is enforced, Eyiboh described the argument as fundamentally flawed. He pointed out the well-established legal principle that laws and rules apply prospectively, not retroactively.

“Senator Akpabio emerged under the rules in existence at the time. Applying today’s standards to yesterday’s mandate is neither legally sustainable nor institutionally rational,” he said.

The statement urged Nigerians and senators to elevate the discussion above personal rivalries and chamber politics. While affirming Senator Oshiomhole’s right to hold dissenting views, Eyiboh insisted the debate must centre on whether the amendment strengthens the Senate as a durable institution.

“Institutions outlive individuals,” he concluded. “Senate Presidents will come and go. But the rules and traditions we establish today will shape legislative stability for decades to come.”

Rt Hon Eseme Eyiboh, mnipr, is a former Member and Spokesperson of the House of Representatives and currently serves as Special Adviser on Media/Publicity and Official Spokesperson to the President of the Senate.

Continue Reading

News

President Tinubu Cheers US, Nigerian troops elimination of ISIS top leaders, Lauds Trump (Video)

“I commend the personnel involved on both sides for their professionalism and courage, and I look forward to more decisive strikes against all terrorist enclaves across the nation.

Published

on

By

50 Views

President Bola Tinubu, strengthened by the US military Command vows more decisive strikes against all terrorist enclaves across the nation.

President Tinubu was reacting to Saturday’s overnight successful joint counterterrorism operation carried out by Nigerian and United States forces against an Islamic State hideout in the Lake Chad Basin which resulted in the elimination of a wanted Islamic State senior leader, Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, also known as Abu-Mainok, alongside several of his lieutenants.

In a State House statement issued on Saturday by Bayo Onanuga, the president’s aide, Tinubu said “Our determined Nigerian Armed Forces, working closely with the Armed Forces of the United States conducted a daring joint operation that dealt a heavy blow to the ranks of the Islamic State.

The president stated that early assessments confirmed that the strike targeted the terrorist leader’s compound in the Lake Chad Basin.

Tinubu however expressed appreciation to the United States for supporting Nigeria’s counterterrorism efforts and advancing shared security objectives.

The president also thanked Donald Trump for what he described as leadership and unwavering support in the operation, saying, “I extend my sincere gratitude to President Trump for his leadership and unwavering support in this effort.”

He further commended military personnel from both countries for their professionalism and courage during the operation.

“I commend the personnel involved on both sides for their professionalism and courage, and I look forward to more decisive strikes against all terrorist enclaves across the nation.

Watch Video below:

Continue Reading

News

Many Trapped in Abuja Collapsed Building , 3 Dead (Video)

Eyewitnesses said that about 70 workers were on site at the time of the incident at the building located around Gaduwa Estate in the Gudu area.

Published

on

By

59 Views

Tragedy struck in the Durumi 3 area near Gudu Market, Abuja, after a three-storey building under construction collapsed on Saturday moring leaving at least three persons dead.

Eyewitnesses said that about 70 workers were on site at the time of the incident at the building located around Gaduwa Estate in the Gudu area.

Three bodies had been evacuated as of the time of filing this report, while rescue efforts were still ongoing to save other victims trapped beneath the rubble.

Officials and emergency responders were seen at the scene carrying out search-and-rescue operations as anxious residents gathered around the area.

The cause of the collapse is yet to be officially confirmed at the time of this report.

Watch video below:

Continue Reading

Trending