Connect with us

News

Sowore Defies Court Amid Police Warning on #FreeNnamdiKanu Protest

Published

on

127 Views

Human rights activist Omoyele Sowore has vowed to go ahead with the #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protest on Monday, October 20, 2025, despite a Federal High Court order restricting demonstrations near key government sites in Abuja.

Sowore, the 2023 African Action Congress presidential candidate, said his legal team of 115 lawyers will challenge any court order once served but emphasized the protest will proceed peacefully and lawfully.

“Our legal team will challenge any alleged court order the moment we are served on Monday. But let it be known that nothing can stop this mass movement. October 20 #FreeNnamdiKanuNow remains sacrosanct. We march peacefully, lawfully, and powerfully,” he stated on X.

The Nigeria Police Force had earlier warned protest groups to comply with a court order by Justice M. Umar of the Federal High Court, which prohibits protests within and around Aso Rock Villa, the National Assembly, Force Headquarters, Eagle Square, and Shehu Shagari Way.

Police spokesperson CSP Benjamin Hundeyin reaffirmed the police respect for peaceful assembly but stressed that protests must remain lawful and responsible. He warned that those violating the order or inciting violence would face prosecution.

Sowore accused the police of double standards, pointing out that groups protesting against Nnamdi Kanu’s release have been allowed to demonstrate freely for days without similar restrictions.

“If a court order truly exists restricting protests around Aso Rock Villa, why hasn’t the police obtained a similar order against those opposing Nnamdi Kanu’s release who have protested freely for three days?” he questioned.

The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, has directed strict enforcement of the court order, with increased police presence in vulnerable areas to maintain public peace and security during the protest period.

Authorities have cautioned against attempts by any protesters or counter-protesters to provoke violence or disrupt public order, assuring residents that security measures will protect lives and property.

News

Ogun Orders Temporary Suspension of Lead Ingot Exports, Shuts Seven Plants

Published

on

12 Views

The Ogun State Government has called for an immediate, temporary suspension of lead ingot exportation pending a full investigation into alleged lead contamination in the Ogijo area of Sagamu Local Government.

This position followed an on-the-spot inspection in Ogijo after a viral video raised concerns about possible lead poisoning in the community. The Commissioner for Environment, Ola Oresanya, led a combined team of experts from the Ministries of Environment and Health, the Ogun State Environmental Protection Agency (OGEPA), and the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA).

During the visit, the government ordered the closure of seven industries involved in Used Lead-Acid Battery recycling within the Ogijo axis.

Oresanya assured residents that there is no cause for panic, noting that the state will immediately commence a comprehensive Health and Process Audit of the affected facilities. This will include testing for lead levels in humans, soil, air, and water sources across the industrial community.

He added that the government will make the findings public once the investigation is completed, while also reviewing the methodology used in the earlier test results circulated in the media.

Continue Reading

News

Insecurity: Lagos Will Remain Peaceful, says Sanwo-Olu

At the routine meeting, which was chaired by Mr Sanwo-Olu, were the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 9 Brigade, Brig.-Gen. A.O. Owolabi, Group Capt. M.A. Imam, Commander 651 BSG, Nigerian Air Force, Commander NNS Beecroft Naval Base, Apapa, Commodore PP Nimmyel, Commissioner of Police Olohundare Moshood, representative of the Department State Services Director, A.B. Alade…

Published

on

By

38 Views

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu assures that the State will remain peaceful for residents and all visitors amidst the insecurity across the nation.

Sanwo- Olu gave the assurance on Thursday during a meeting of the Security Council.

In a statement, Gbenga Omotoso HC (Information & Strategy, disclosed that the state’s security Council, which comprises heads of Security agencies in the state, met at the State House, Marina.

At the routine meeting, which was chaired by Mr Sanwo-Olu, were the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 9 Brigade, Brig.-Gen. A.O. Owolabi, Group Capt. M.A. Imam, Commander 651 BSG, Nigerian Air Force, Commander NNS Beecroft Naval Base, Apapa, Commodore PP Nimmyel, Commissioner of Police Olohundare Moshood, representative of the Department State Services Director, A.B. Alade, Secretary to the State Government Barr. Abimbola Salu-Hundeyin, Chief of Staff to the Governor Tayo Ayinde, Chief Security Officer to the Governor CSP Fagbemi Adekunle, and Lagos State Security Trust Fund (LSSTF) Executive Secretary Ayo Ogunsan.

After being briefed by the security chiefs, Governor Sanwo- Olu expressed satisfaction with their reports and assured all Lagosians and visitors that the Yuletide will truly be a season of goodwill.

Continue Reading

News

Police, PSC set up committee to recruit 30,000 new officers

The primary mandate of the Joint Ad-hoc Committee is to collaborate and brainstorm on creating a seamless, transparent, and efficient recruitment process.

Published

on

By

65 Views

• Police IGP, Kayode Egbetokun

The Police Service Commission (PSC) and the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) have set up a high-powered joint Ad-hoc Committee to drive the immediate commencement of the recruitment of 30,000 new officers.

The PSC disclosed this in a statement on Thursday, following the inauguration of the Ad-hoc Committee on Wednesday, 26th November, 2025 by the Chairman, Police Service Commission DIG Hashimu Salihu Argungu (rtd) at the Police Service Commission Corporate Headquarters, Jabi, Abuja.

The establishment of the committee followed the presidential directive to bolster the numerical strength of the NPF and enhance national security.

The primary mandate of the Joint Ad-hoc Committee is to collaborate and brainstorm on creating a seamless, transparent, and efficient recruitment process.

It added that the committee will work to ensure the exercise is conducted with the highest standards of integrity and merit.

Continue Reading

Trending