News
S’Court adjourns Taraba governorship appeal for judgment
The Supreme Court has adjourned the appeal by the New Nigeria People’s Party against the Taraba State Governor, Kefas Agbu.
The NNPP and its governorship candidate, Prof. Yahaya Sani, are contesting the victory of the governor and the Peoples Democratic Party in last year’s March 18 governorship election in the state.
The Court of Appeal in Abuja had affirmed the election of Agbu as the state governor.
The appellate court held that the allegations of non-compliance, irregularities and other malpractices were not proven by the appellants in line with the provisions of the law.
At the apex court on Wednesday, the NNPP and Sani, and their counsel, Olusegun Jolaawo, SAN, appealed to the justices to allow the case of his clients and grant all the reliefs they are praying for.
The lead counsel to Agbu and the PDP, Kanu Agabi, SAN, urged the apex court to dismiss the appeal.
He said that the appeal of the appellants was grossly incompetent to be considered because of the several flaws in the way the case was
presented at the apex court.
After listening to the counsel’s arguments, the five-member panel led by Justice Kudirat Kekere-Ekun reserved judgment on the matter.
News
Burial begins for Oyo school teacher killed by JAS terrorist group
The deceased teacher is expected to be buried at his residence in the Owolake area of Ogbomoso.
The burial arrangements for Adesiyan Adegboye, the teacher killed during last Friday’s coordinated attack on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, began on Friday at Ayegun Baptist Church, Ogbomoso.
Adegboye, 49, was shot dead during the invasion carried out by armed bandits at Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community Grammar School, and L.A. Primary School, Esiele.
The deceased teacher is expected to be buried at his residence in the Owolake area of Ogbomoso.
The attackers reportedly stormed the schools around 9:30am, abducting several teachers and students during the operation that threw the communities into panic.
Following the incident, the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, visited the affected area on Saturday and ordered the deployment of additional detectives from the Force Headquarters in Abuja to support ongoing rescue efforts.
News
FG launches GovGuideNigeria to boost citizens governance access
GovGuideNigeria platform is accessible through WhatsApp and the web, and is available in English, Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba to ensure wider accessibility for citizens across different linguistic backgrounds.
The Minister of Communications, Innovation, and Digital Economy, Dr Bosun Tijan, has said that Nigerians can now access the government information and services through the newly launched GovGuideNigeria.
The artificial intelligence-powered platform was launched on May 21 by the government in collaboration with Meta, the National Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (NCAIR), and local developer partner Publica AI.
According to the Minister, the platform is accessible through WhatsApp and the web, and is available in English, Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba to ensure wider accessibility for citizens across different linguistic backgrounds.
Tijani stated that the platform provides users with easy access to information from more than 35 federal ministries and over 60 government agencies.
He described the initiative as part of the government’s efforts to improve public service delivery through technology and digital innovation.
Sade Dada, Head of Public Policy, Meta, said during the launch “Meta’s open-source AI is critical to economic growth and productivity — and GovGuide Nigeria, is a clear example of what this looks like in practice.
Ignatius Willie, CEO, Publica AI said, “Today is not just a product launch. It is a step towards democratising how Nigerians engage with their government. With GovGuide Nigeria, we are not simply digitising access to public services; we are making them conversational, multilingual, and available on the channels Nigerians already use every day.
News
DHQ says JAS terrorists carried out Oyo kidnap
The DHQ denied reports suggesting it referred to terrorists operating in the South-West as ordinary criminals, insisting that such interpretations were inaccurate and misleading.
Photo: Maj Gen Michael Onoja
The Defence Headquarters disclosed that the attackers behind the Oyo abduction were members of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad terrorist group displaced by sustained military offensives across the country.
Latest week, schools in communities at Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, were attacked by terrorists ; they abducted pupils, teachers and other residents from Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle.
The incident also left several persons dead, while one of the abducted teachers, Michael Oyedokun, was later killed after a video linked to the attack surfaced online.
In a statement signed by the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj Gen Michael Onoja, the DHQ confirmed said that the attack was perpetrated by terrorists of the JAS Group that have been dislodged from other parts of the country due to high-intensity operations being conducted all over the country.
The DHQ denied reports suggesting it referred to terrorists operating in the South-West as ordinary criminals, insisting that such interpretations were inaccurate and misleading.
“It is, therefore, inaccurate and misleading to suggest that the Defence Headquarters, at any point, referred to vicious and violent terrorists as criminals,” Onoja stated
-
Business3 days agoFemi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
-
Politics3 days agoAtiku Appears Before ADC Presidential Screening Panel
-
Politics3 days agoGov Fubara withdrawals from governorship race
-
Entertainment3 days agoWizkid Becomes First African Artist to Surpass 11 Billion Spotify Streams
-
Entertainment3 days ago‘God Took Him’ — Singer Niniola Announces Death of Husband Michael Ndika
-
Politics2 days ago2027: Natasha emerges PDP Kogi central ticket
-
Politics3 days agoNDC Clears Peter Obi as Sole Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election
-
Business2 days agoIEA chief warns Oil market could enter ‘red zone’ by July as stocks dwindle ahead of summer travel season
