Business
NESG Urges Diversion of Nigeria’s Trade Amidst U.S and China Tariffs War
Given Nigeria’s heavy reliance on imported manufactured goods and raw materials, NESG warns that the country could face significant economic challenges if these trade tensions escalate further
▪︎Dr Jumoke Oduwole, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment.
The Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG) has stressed the need for Nigeria to divert its trade pattern towards countries that are unaffected by the U.S. tariffs.
The NESG made the call in its latest Foreign Trade Alert: 2024Q4 & Full Year 2024.
The report highlighted Nigeria’s vulnerability to global trade disruptions, particularly in its import-dependent industrial sector.
“The trade war between the U.S. and China needs to be hedged against. This would reduce tariff-induced increases in import bills, considering that the country’s import-dependent non-oil industrial sector is highly vulnerable,” the report noted.
The United States imposed a 10% tariff on Chinese imports in February 2025, with plans to increase it by another 10% in April.
In retaliation, China announced additional tariffs of 10-15% on certain U.S. imports starting March 10, 2025, along with a series of export restrictions targeting designated U.S. entities.
These measures are expected to disrupt global supply chains, slow world trade growth, and drive up the prices of globally traded commodities.
Given Nigeria’s heavy reliance on imported manufactured goods and raw materials, NESG warns that the country could face significant economic challenges if these trade tensions escalate further.
China remained Nigeria’s largest trading partner in Q4 2024, followed by India, Belgium, the U.S., and France.
The most imported commodities during the period included refined petroleum products, sugar cane, and spare parts.
However, Nigeria’s reliance on imports, particularly from China, makes it susceptible to price fluctuations and supply chain disruptions stemming from the U.S.-China trade conflict.
Business
IEA chief warns Oil market could enter ‘red zone’ by July as stocks dwindle ahead of summer travel season
Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz..
•Faith Birol
Fatih Birol, executive director of the International Energy Agency (IEA) warned on Thursday that the oil markets could soon enter a “red zone” as global stocks deplete and as demand picks up during the summer travel season.
Birol’s comments came during a Chatham House session on the Strait of Hormuz crisis and global energy security.
Birol said that the single most important solution to the Iran war energy shock is a full and unconditional reopening of the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.
” If it fails to reopen and no new oil is coming online from the Middle East, an ongoing drawdown in global stockpiles combined with an uptick in demand during the summer travel season means oil markets “may be entering the red zone in July or August,” Birol said, without elaborating further.
The IEA has previously said the global market is facing the most severe disruption in its history. That’s despite, Birol said, the market having benefitted from being in the “fortunate” position of entering the crisis with a surplus to help absorb the shock. These stocks, however, are now eroding, Birol said.
Typically, roughly 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes through the Strait of Hormuz, but shipping traffic has virtually halted since U.S. and Israeli-led strikes against Iran started on Feb. 28.
The IEA chief said the “biggest pain of this crisis will be felt in developing Asia and Africa,” adding that he was just as concerned about the impact of the Iran war on global food security as he was on energy security.
Business
Femi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
The Chairman of First HoldCo, Femi Otedola, said on Wednesday “From on a personal note, I’ve appealed to him (Aliko Dangote to allocate to me shares worth $100 million private placement, ahead of the Refinery’s initial public offer.”
“That’s one of the reasons I sold my stake in Geregu plant to come and invest my proceeds in the IPO of Dangote refinery.”
Otedola told journalists when he led top executives of First HoldCo on a tour of the refinery and the fertiliser plans in the Lekki free trade zone area.
The team also visited key project sites such as the jetty, a facility built by Dangote industries to receive large vessels.
The private placement is the latest announcement in the refinery’s Initial Public Offering plan, IPO expected later in the year.
Business
CBN Holds Benchmark Interest Rate at 26.5% Amid Renewed Inflation Concerns
The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 26.5 per cent, maintaining the current stance after its two-day meeting that ended on Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
CBN Governor Olayemi Cardoso announced the decision, noting that the committee voted unanimously to hold all key parameters unchanged. The asymmetric corridor around the MPR remains at +500/-450 basis points, the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) stays at 45 per cent for commercial banks and 16 per cent for merchant banks, while the liquidity ratio is retained at 30 per cent.
The hold comes as headline inflation rose for a second consecutive month to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, up from previous levels, driven largely by food inflation at 16.06 per cent and higher transportation costs. Cardoso emphasised the need for a cautious and vigilant approach to anchor inflation expectations and safeguard macroeconomic stability.
This decision aligns with analysts’ expectations ahead of the 305th MPC meeting and follows the first rate cut in years implemented in February 2026, when the MPR was reduced by 50 basis points to the current 26.5 per cent.
The CBN Governor highlighted ongoing reforms, exchange rate stability, and efforts to improve food supply as factors supporting the disinflation process, even as global and domestic risks persist. The next MPC meeting is expected in July.
The retention signals the apex bank’s priority on taming inflation while monitoring the impact of previous policy actions on the broader economy.
-
Politics3 days agoObi emerges NDC’s sole presidential aspirant
-
International2 days agoAfghan fathers forced to selling children to survive
-
Crime2 days agoBREAKING: EFCC Nabs Convicted Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman After Years on The Run
-
Sports2 days agoGuardiola debunks Man City exit report
-
Politics3 days agoJUST IN: Governor Dapo Abiodun Wins Ogun East APC Senatorial Primary
-
Sports2 days agoAFCON 2027 qualifiers: Nigeria to face Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau
-
Business21 hours agoFemi Otedola earmarks $100 million for Dangote Refinery’s IPO
-
Sports2 days agoGuardiola ends 10-year Manchester City reign
