News
Kanu Declines to Open Defence, Insists no Case Against him
………..Judge Advises Kanu to Consult Expert on Criminal Law
The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has declined to open his defence in his ongoing trial, insisting that the Federal Government has no valid charges against him.
At Monday’s proceedings before Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court, Abuja, Kanu informed the court that, after finally receiving and reviewing his case file, he found no basis for the charges brought against him. He therefore requested one week to file a written address instead of calling witnesses as earlier planned.
However, lead prosecutor Adegboyega Awomolo, SAN, strongly objected to the request, noting that the court had already granted the defendant six days to conclude his defence—two of which had elapsed. Awomolo argued that Kanu was fully aware of the charges since his plea was taken and witnesses were cross-examined, stressing that the matter could not be allowed to drag indefinitely.
The prosecution urged the court to deem Kanu’s refusal to open his defence as a conclusion of the case and to proceed to judgment.
Justice Omotosho cautioned Kanu about the risks of representing himself, describing him as a “layman” in legal practice and advising him to seek counsel from someone versed in criminal law. The court also reminded him that the issue of his extraordinary rendition from Kenya had already been resolved and was no longer relevant to the current trial.
In the interest of justice, Justice Omotosho granted Kanu’s request and adjourned the case until Tuesday, November 4, for either the opening of his defence or the adoption of his written address on his claim that the Federal Government has no case to answer.
News
Defence Headquarters say X Account Compromised
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has issued a notification to the public, media representatives, and relevant stakeholders regarding the compromise of its official account on X (formerly known as Twitter).
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed this in a statement, describing the incident as a cybersecurity matter.
He said “appropriate technical measures had been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access.”
Uba assured the public that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the account, while advising members of the public to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content posted from the account during the period.
News
Edo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns Amid Impeachment Plot (Video)
The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has resigned following moves by some lawmakers to impeach him.
Agbebaku said his decision came after extensive consultations with his constituency and party leaders.
In related developments, other principal officers of the House, including the Majority Leader and his deputy, have been suspended.
Agbebaku had served as Speaker for six years, having assumed the position during the tenure of former Governor Godwin Obaseki. He defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC) after the 2024 Edo governorship election.
Yekini Idiaye has emerged as the new Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly.
Watch video below:
News
NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.
The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.
Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.
Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: First Results Emerge as Voting Ends, Collation Begins at Polling Units
-
Politics2 days ago(UPDATED) #OsunDecides2026: INEC Uploads 3,119 of 3,763 Polling Unit Results as Collation Continues
-
Politics6 hours agoKebbi Governor picks new running mate , Ibrahim Augie
-
Politics1 day agoBREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll
-
Politics3 days agoHAPPENING NOW: Security Beefed up at INEC Office in Osun Ahead of Saturday’s Governorship Election
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: Adeleke Urges Tinubu to Protect Votes During Collation
-
Politics2 days ago#OsunDecides2026: Accord Party in early lead, APC trails behind
-
News4 hours agoEdo Assembly Speaker Agbebaku Resigns Amid Impeachment Plot (Video)
