Connect with us

Crime

JUST IN: Terrorists kidnap students, teachers from Niger boarding school

Published

on

210 Views

Terrorists have attacked St Mary’s School, a Catholic-owned institution in Papiri community, Agwara Local Government Area of Niger State, and abducted an unconfirmed number of students and staff.

The attack took place in the early hours of Friday.

Local officials said the school was compiling its records and could not yet determine the number of people taken.

A source in one of the Catholic churches in Niger State confirmed the incident, stating that the church would issue an official statement after completing its investigation.

The Head of Department for Disaster and Relief in Agwara Local Government, Ahmed Rofia, also confirmed the attack.

He said the gunmen invaded the school between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. and that authorities were still assessing the scale of the abductions.

Spokesperson of the Niger State Police Command, Wasiu Abiodun said he was aware of the enquiry and would provide details when available. “I know what you are calling. I will get the details and get back to you,” he said.

When pressed to confirm the incident, he added, “I need to get the details before. I will get back to you. Just give me time.

”Papiri is about 70 kilometers from Babana axis, where Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), an al-Qaeda affiliate in the Sahel, announced its presence in July.

The abduction happened less than a week after a similar abduction of schoolgirls in Kebbi State.Papiri town is one of the 10 political wards in the Agwara Local Government Area of Niger State.

A source in Rofia, a town 30 kilometres away from where the incident happened, also confirmed the incident.

The source whose name has been withheld for security reasons said residents of the town estimated that the terrorists came with 60 motorcycles and a van.

“They packed the students and their teachers in the van and went away with them,” he said.

Bello Gidi, the spokesperson for Agwara Local Government Chairperson Ilyasu Zakari, confirmed the attack, stating that efforts are ongoing to gather “factual details of the incident.

”The raid occurred days after 25 students were kidnapped in Maga, Kebbi State, adding to rising concern over attacks on schools in the region.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

BREAKING: ICPC Confirms Nasir El-Rufai in Its Custody, Not DSS

Published

on

4 Views

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has officially confirmed that former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai is currently in its custody in connection with an ongoing investigation.

In a statement issued late Wednesday by the commission’s Head of Media and Public Communications, J. Okor Odey, the ICPC stated: “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, the former Governor of Kaduna State, is in our custody as at close of work today, Wednesday the 18th day of February, 2026. Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the Commission in connection with investigations.

“The confirmation comes amid earlier widespread reports suggesting that El-Rufai had been taken into custody by the Department of State Services (DSS) following his release on administrative bail by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) around 8 p.m. on Wednesday.

Witnesses and initial sources indicated that operatives from another security agency—widely reported as the DSS—were waiting at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja and immediately detained him upon his release after two nights in EFCC custody.

However, the ICPC’s statement clarifies that El-Rufai is now under its authority, addressing the confusion in initial media accounts that attributed his latest detention to the DSS.

Details of the specific allegations under ICPC investigation were not disclosed in the statement, though El-Rufai’s earlier EFCC questioning reportedly related to financial matters during his tenure as governor from 2015 to 2023, including probes linked to substantial state funds.

The sequence of events began on Monday when El-Rufai honored an EFCC invitation over alleged corruption, leading to his detention for questioning. After being granted bail on Wednesday evening, the rapid transfer to another agency has sparked fresh developments in what appears to be a multi-agency scrutiny of the former governor.

Further details on the handover process—whether involving the DSS or direct ICPC action—remain unclear, as the ICPC has not elaborated beyond confirming custody. El-Rufai, a prominent political figure and former ally of President Bola Tinubu, has faced multiple probes in recent months.

Continue Reading

Crime

BREAKING: DSS Charges El-Rufai with Cybercrime Over Alleged Phone Tapping

Published

on

39 Views

The Department of State Services (DSS) has filed cybercrime charges against former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja, accusing him of involvement in the unlawful interception of phone communications belonging to National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu.

QAccording to court documents, the charges stem from El-Rufai’s statements during a live interview on Arise Television’s Prime Time programme on February 13, 2026. In the broadcast, he reportedly admitted to accessing an intercepted conversation in which Ribadu allegedly instructed security operatives to arrest him upon his return to Nigeria.

Prosecutors allege that this interception seriously compromised national security and public safety, creating widespread fear among citizens by exposing vulnerabilities in high-level communications.

The three-count charge accuses El-Rufai of violating provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act 2024 and the Nigerian Communications Act 2003. He faces allegations of direct participation in the unlawful interception as well as failing to report those responsible for the act to the appropriate authorities.

The development follows intense public backlash and calls for investigation after El-Rufai’s televised remarks, which drew criticism from political figures, including presidential aides, who described the admission as a confession to illegal wiretapping of a top security official.

El-Rufai has previously denied direct wrongdoing in related controversies, framing his comments within broader claims of surveillance practices by government agencies.

The case is expected to heighten political tensions ahead of future elections as proceedings unfold in court.

Continue Reading

Crime

NDLEA: China-Based Nigerian, 2 Angolans Excrete 236 Cocaine Wraps at Airports (Images)

Published

on

30 Views

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested a China-based Nigerian businessman and two Angolan nationals after they excreted a total of 236 wraps of cocaine at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA) in Abuja and Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport (MAKIA) in Kano.

A 34-year-old Nigerian, Ibeanu Vincent Chukwudulue, who relocated to Guangzhou, China in 2024 after business on Lagos Island, was intercepted on February 4, 2026, aboard a Qatar Airways flight from Kano en route to China via Abuja and Doha. Body scans confirmed ingestion, and he excreted 52 pellets weighing 735.95 grams under observation.

The Angolans, 50-year-old Mbandu Martins Makiadi and 52-year-old Ngoma Wilson Fernando from Luanda, were nabbed the same day at Kano airport during clearance for an Ethiopian Airlines flight to Istanbul via Addis Ababa. Mbandu excreted 76 wraps (920 grams) in seven sessions, while Ngoma expelled 108 pellets (1.33 kg) in five sessions.

They claimed recruitment by a Luanda auto spare parts dealer promising $3,000 each for delivery in Turkey.

In a separate operation, NDLEA thwarted an attempt by convicted drug kingpin Olashupo Michael Oladimeji—serving five years at Ikoyi Correctional Centre for a prior 17.9 kg cocaine case—to export 1.1 kg of cocaine hidden in garri (cassava granules) to London via Virgin Atlantic from Lagos airport.

The February 12 consignment, sent via his Dimeji Express Logistics firm, led to the arrest of staff Adedeji Yusuf Gbolahan; investigations traced the plot to Olashupo directing from prison.

Another Lagos export bid involving 1.7 kg of skunk concealed in jerry cans to the UK was foiled, resulting in the arrests of cargo agent Mustapha Quddus Opeyemi and sender Adelaja Taiwo Adetayo.

In Abuja, operatives on February 12 intercepted a waybill from Enugu containing a children’s toy guitar hiding 59.2 grams of Canadian Loud cannabis, leading to the arrest of owner Henry Onuma in Life Camp.

A major bust in Lagos saw NDLEA raid a four-bedroom duplex at Ikate-Elegushi, Lekki on February 13, uncovering a Colorado (synthetic cannabis) production factory. Following a prior seizure of 73 cartons of nitrous oxide en route to Benin City, officers recovered 13.2 kg of freshly produced Colos, precursor chemicals, and arrested Victor Oyedeji and driver Amos Innocent.

Additional seizures included 1.189 kg Colos/skunk, 320 grams methamphetamine, ₦2.975 million cash, and two vehicles from female dealer Oluwayemisi Bunmi in Ibadan; 105,400 tramadol pills from Kamilu Abdullahi in Kwara; and 563.5 kg skunk from five suspects in Edo’s Ovia North East forest.

NDLEA continued its War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) sensitization in schools and communities nationwide.

NDLEA Chairman Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) commended operatives for their balanced supply and demand reduction efforts, urging sustained professionalism.

Continue Reading

Trending