News
JUST IN: Rivers yet to receive assembly 48-hour budget ultimatum – SSG
The Rivers State Government has said it has yet to receive any document on the Martin Amaewhule-led House of Assembly resolution following last Friday’s Supreme Court judgment.
Recall that the Speaker, Martin Amaewhule, in a letter addressed to the Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, on Monday, requested the latter to present the 2025 Appropriation Bill to the House within 48 hours, in line with the 1999 Constitution.
However, in a statement on Wednesday, the Secretary to the Rivers State Government, Dr Tammy Danagogo, maintained that the governor has yet to receive the letter, saying the state government heard of the purported on social media.
The statement reads, “I hereby refer to a letter dated 3rd March 2025 on the above subject, which we came across on social media and notify you that, as at the close of work on Tuesday 4th March, 2025, we are yet to receive the said letter.
Neither the office of the Governor, nor the Deputy Governor’s office, nor the office of the Accountant-General of the State has received the said letter”
Dr Danagogo also stated that the state government had yet to receive a copy of the Supreme Court judgement to enable it to respond appropriately.
He said, “We have since been in contact with our lawyers who are still awaiting the certified true copy of the judgments of the Supreme Court, and hereby reassure you and all the good people of Rivers State that as soon as His Excellency receives the judgments, he will strive to implement same timeously in the best interest of ourpeople.”
However, the SSG assured the people of the state of the governor’s commitment to abiding by the rule of law, as he had noted earlier in his statewide broadcast.
He added, “Please, recall that His Excellency, Siminalayi Fubara, had in a State Broadcast on Sunday 2nd March, 2025, stated clearly that notwithstanding his personal opinion on the Supreme Court Judgments, he will, as a law-abiding Nigerians, obey and implement their decisions in accordance with the rule of law and the best interest of the people of Rivers State.”
News
UNICEF Lauds Nigeria’s Remarkable Progress in Birth Registration (Photos)
ighlights 14 Million Children Registered in Two Years.
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has commended Nigeria for achieving a significant milestone in child rights, with 14 million children’s births officially registered over the past two years.

This surge represents impressive advancement in ensuring every child is counted and recognized through legal identity.
The announcement came during a courtesy visit by UNICEF Country Representative to Nigeria, Ms. Wafaa Saeed Abdelatef, to Senator Oluremi Tinubu, the First Lady of Nigeria, at the State House in Abuja.
Ms. Abdelatef praised the First Lady’s exemplary leadership in championing children’s issues and family welfare nationwide. She described the progress in birth registration as unprecedented in her experience across various countries.

“Birth registration is the first right of every child—to be counted and recognized,” she stated. “It is really impressive. I have served in many places, but I have not seen such progress in two years as we have witnessed here in Nigeria.
“She highlighted key enablers of this success, including the digitalization of the registration system at health facilities and community levels, as well as ongoing legislative efforts with a relevant bill before the National Assembly.

“Things don’t just happen like that; we scale with leadership,” she added, expressing gratitude for the First Lady’s role in driving this initiative and allowing UNICEF to celebrate this “fantastic leadership.
“The UNICEF representative also acknowledged the First Lady’s broader contributions, referencing her involvement in initiatives such as the national library and food bank launches, as well as commendations from African women leaders at the African Union for her continental impact.

She linked these efforts to Nigeria’s Renewed Hope Agenda, which she said is instilling hope for children and citizens alike.In response, Senator Oluremi Tinubu welcomed UNICEF’s recognition and reaffirmed her commitment to ensuring universal birth registration. “Every child counts,” she emphasized, noting that registration immediately after birth grants children nationality, legal identity, and access to essential services like health and education.
The First Lady described the news as a source of joy and a foundation for national development. “This is how nations develop,” she said. While celebrating the gains, she stressed the need for sustained efforts: “We are not there yet. We have to keep at it and make sure every child is counted.
“She pointed out that birth registration is just the starting point, extending to the issuance of birth certificates. Highlighting Nigeria’s lack of a recent census, she noted that starting with children would provide critical data on the child population to guide government planning and resource allocation.
Senator Tinubu also addressed persistent challenges, expressing concern over persistently high rates of tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and maternal and child mortality in Nigeria’s large population.
“These numbers are still high, and it is worrisome,” she said, while assuring that the administration is actively working to position the country for a better future.
She expressed appreciation for UNICEF’s longstanding support and reliable data, pledging continued collaboration in any area of mutual interest. “In any area you want us to collaborate, we are here,” she affirmed. “We want to thank UNICEF for the interest and the work you have done.
“This development underscores Nigeria’s ongoing push toward universal civil registration, aligning with global goals to provide legal identity for all children and support broader child rights and development objectives.
News
Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun
Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.
News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.
Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.
Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.
News
Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
•Kehinde Jacob Faledon
Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.
Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.
The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.
“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.
“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.
“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.
-
News2 days agoOndo monarch gunned down outside palace
-
News2 days agoDSS suit against SERAP adjourns indefinitely
-
Politics2 days agoRivers lawmakers halt impeachment of Fubara and Odu, following Tinubu’s interventions
-
Business2 days agoNAFDAC Seals 18 Warehouses Over Expired Products in Niger State
-
News2 days agoSenator Mpigi Dies at 64
-
International2 days agoTrump kicks off his ‘Board of Peace,’ as war clouds loom on Iran
-
Business2 days agoWema Bank Announces Grand Event for International Women’s Day 2026 on March 4
-
Politics2 days agoAbuja Area Council Elections Hold Tomorrow
