Connect with us

News

JUST IN: Reps, Benue gov clash Over Insecurity as NASS resumes today

Published

on

351 Views

As the National Assembly resumes from its long recess today, the House of Representatives and the Benue State Government have disagreed on the reasons for the spates of killings in the state in the past few months.

While the Deputy Spokesman of the House, Philip Agbese blamed Governor Hyacinth Alia for what it called his abandonment of the state anti-open grazing law for the increase in the killings of innocent citizens in recent times, the governor fired back, accusing Agbese of knowing next to nothing about how laws are suspended in state legislatures.

Attacks in Ukum and Logo Local Government Areas of Benue State in the past three weeks have left no fewer than 56 persons dead, with Gov Alia last week, appealing for Federal Government’s intervention to stem the tide.

Recall The two chambers had on March 27 proceeded on break to mark the Eid-el-Fitr and Easter celebrations and fixed Tuesday, April 29, 2025, as the resumption date. However, the Workers’ Days celebration on May 1 led to the extension of resumption by an additional week.

While on break, bandits in a senseless campaign of violence killed innocent Nigerians in Plateau, Benue and Zamfara States, culminating in calls for President Bola Tinubu to cut short his vacation in France to return home to lead the fight against insecurity from the front

The Deputy Spokesman of the House of Representatives, Philip Agbese, said the leadership of the House is committed to speaking against all forms of criminality in the country, particularly the killings of defenceless Nigerians and destruction of their property.

He said, “As we resume tomorrow (Tuesday), we are prepared to tackle squarely the issue of insecurity across the country. We are tired of observing one-minute silence in honour of the dead all the time.

Like the Speaker, the Right Honourable Tajudeen Abbas always says, the life of every Nigerian is very important to the 10th National Assembly.

“To bring these issues to the attention of the government through urgent public importance is not a question we should be asking ourselves now.

We want to see action, we want to see Nigeria secure so that everyone can move freely without fear of being attacked or killed.

“During our sectoral engagement with security chiefs not long ago, they promised action, and we saw a reduction in these attacks. But that was then.

“Things have worsened again, and we cannot continue. We hope to engage them again, and if we are convinced that they don’t have fresh ideas on how to address the challenge of insecurity, we will recommend to Mr President to relieve them of their duties and appoint fresh hands to step in.

”Agbese also commended the leadership of the House, saying, “Since we came on board in June 2023, Speaker Abbas has continued to prioritise the well-being of Nigerians, and as part of this parliament, we are not prepared to rest yet.

Nigerians expect more from us and we can’t afford to let them down. What we must do as parliamentarians is to speak up when things are not going well.

“Killing Nigerians in their homes, farms or wherever should not be condoned. We are hopeful that as we resume our duty, we will lend our voices to the call for the safety of Nigerians wherever they are and that those tasked with maintaining peace and order, as well as the protection of lives and property, will step up their game and make this country secure for us all.

”On the incessant killings in Benue State over the past few months, Agbese who represents Ado/Ogbadigbo/Okpokwu Federal Constituency of the State, blamed the governor, Rev Fr Hyacinth Alia for his handling of the state anti-grazing law.

He said, “Before his (Gov Alia) election, there was an anti open grazing law in place. He completely abandoned that law and was busy claiming that there were no issues in Benue.

The governor kept referring to the ECOWAS Protocol which guarantees free movement of people and goods within the West Africa sub region.

“Truth as that may sound, the ECOWAS Protocol does not make room for reckless human transit without documentation, and this is what some of us pointed out to the governor.

“Before now, when herders came into new settlements, the law required them to give information about themselves to the locals.

They were known to the people, but Gov Alia came and changed everything. At a point, he said there was no problem in Benue. We are happy that he is beginning to realise that this is not the way to go.

Meanwhile, Mr Agbese has called on Gov Hyacinth Alia and his Zamfara State counterpart, Dauda Lawal, to appear before the House Committee on Public Petitions as directed by the Committee Chairman, Mike Etaba last week.

Last week, the committee summoned the two governors, along with the leadership of their Houses of Assembly to appear before them on Thursday, May 8, to explain why their functions should not be taken over by the House of Representatives.

According to the statement, the invitation, “Was sequel to a petition written by a civil rights organisation, Guardians of Democracy and Rule of Law, urging the House to take over the functions of the two Houses of Assembly.

”The Committee insisted that its intervention is necessary “To ensure that the rule of Law is upheld at all times. The parties have a wonderful opportunity to state their cases clearly so that Nigerians can know what is going on.

Anarchy would never be given any space in our polity.

”Reminded that the State Assemblies have denied receiving the House summons, the Benue lawmaker urged them to move away from technicalities and appear before the Committee to enable Nigerians to hear their own side of the story.

“We can’t be hiding under needless technicalities all the time. If Nigerians are aware that there is a summon for the governors and State Assemblies to appear before a Standing Committee based on a petition, we expect the parties involved to appear before the committee.

“The National Assembly has the power to take over the functions of State Assemblies in line with the provision of Section 11 (4) of the Constitution. They should appear and let Nigerians know why that should not happen,” he said.

When asked if there will be consequences if they fail to appear, Agbese said, “Let us not discuss that yet. Let’s hope they will appear.

Thursday is not today, and I sincerely hope they will be here. There is no reason to think otherwise,” he added.

Meanwhile, the Benue State Governor, Hyacinth Alia has asked the deputy spokesman of the House of Representative, Philip Agbese to go for further study on what democracy entails.

Responding to the allegations by the house deputy spokesman that the governor abandoned the anti open grazing law of the state leading to reckless attack on Benue communities.

The governor who spoke through his Technical Adviser on Communication, Media and Publicity, Solomon Iorpev said that in a democratic system, there are processes to repeal existing laws.

He said, “I don’t like to respond to those who do not know their right hand from their left hand because it’s only in a military regime that you hear about suspension of laws without following due process.

“But in a democratic system, you should know that there must be processes to suspend existing laws and since he (deputy spokesman) does not give evidence to that, it means the he doesn’t know anything about democracy.

Iorpev added that the governor had at several fora, reiterated his stance on the full enforcement of the anti open grazing law in the state.

News

UNICEF Lauds Nigeria’s Remarkable Progress in Birth Registration (Photos)

Published

on

11 Views

ighlights 14 Million Children Registered in Two Years.

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has commended Nigeria for achieving a significant milestone in child rights, with 14 million children’s births officially registered over the past two years.

This surge represents impressive advancement in ensuring every child is counted and recognized through legal identity.

The announcement came during a courtesy visit by UNICEF Country Representative to Nigeria, Ms. Wafaa Saeed Abdelatef, to Senator Oluremi Tinubu, the First Lady of Nigeria, at the State House in Abuja.

Ms. Abdelatef praised the First Lady’s exemplary leadership in championing children’s issues and family welfare nationwide. She described the progress in birth registration as unprecedented in her experience across various countries.

“Birth registration is the first right of every child—to be counted and recognized,” she stated. “It is really impressive. I have served in many places, but I have not seen such progress in two years as we have witnessed here in Nigeria.

“She highlighted key enablers of this success, including the digitalization of the registration system at health facilities and community levels, as well as ongoing legislative efforts with a relevant bill before the National Assembly.

“Things don’t just happen like that; we scale with leadership,” she added, expressing gratitude for the First Lady’s role in driving this initiative and allowing UNICEF to celebrate this “fantastic leadership.

“The UNICEF representative also acknowledged the First Lady’s broader contributions, referencing her involvement in initiatives such as the national library and food bank launches, as well as commendations from African women leaders at the African Union for her continental impact.

She linked these efforts to Nigeria’s Renewed Hope Agenda, which she said is instilling hope for children and citizens alike.In response, Senator Oluremi Tinubu welcomed UNICEF’s recognition and reaffirmed her commitment to ensuring universal birth registration. “Every child counts,” she emphasized, noting that registration immediately after birth grants children nationality, legal identity, and access to essential services like health and education.

The First Lady described the news as a source of joy and a foundation for national development. “This is how nations develop,” she said. While celebrating the gains, she stressed the need for sustained efforts: “We are not there yet. We have to keep at it and make sure every child is counted.

“She pointed out that birth registration is just the starting point, extending to the issuance of birth certificates. Highlighting Nigeria’s lack of a recent census, she noted that starting with children would provide critical data on the child population to guide government planning and resource allocation.

Senator Tinubu also addressed persistent challenges, expressing concern over persistently high rates of tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and maternal and child mortality in Nigeria’s large population.

“These numbers are still high, and it is worrisome,” she said, while assuring that the administration is actively working to position the country for a better future.

She expressed appreciation for UNICEF’s longstanding support and reliable data, pledging continued collaboration in any area of mutual interest. “In any area you want us to collaborate, we are here,” she affirmed. “We want to thank UNICEF for the interest and the work you have done.

“This development underscores Nigeria’s ongoing push toward universal civil registration, aligning with global goals to provide legal identity for all children and support broader child rights and development objectives.

Continue Reading

News

Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Published

on

By

14 Views

Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun

Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.

News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.

Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Continue Reading

News

Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

Published

on

By

33 Views

•Kehinde Jacob Faledon

Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.

Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.

“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.

“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.

Continue Reading

Trending