Connect with us

Crime

JUST IN: Alleged N4bn theft: Obiano challenges Abuja court’s jurisdiction, ask Court to stop his Trial

Published

on

411 Views

A former Governor of Anambra, Willie Obiano, has challenged the jurisdiction of the Abuja Federal High Court to hear the alleged fraud preferred against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

The EFCC had on January 24 arraigned the former governor on nine charges bordering on alleged money laundering to the tune of N4bn.

In the charges, the EFCC alleged that Obiano diverted Anambra State’s security votes to the tune of N4,008,573,350 while he was in the saddle as governor between 2014 and 2022.

The EFCC accused him of indirectly transferring, through his Private Principal Secretary, N1.2bn from the state security vote account to another account belonging to Moment of Peace Ventures, an entity with no business with the state.

Obiano, however, pleaded not guilty to all the counts.

At the resumed hearing of the case on Monday, counsel for the EFCC, Sylvanus Tahir, told the court he was ready for the commencement of hearing in the matter and had three witnesses to present in court.

But counsel for the defendant, Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN) told the court that he had filed a motion challenging the jurisdiction of the court to hear the matter.

He urged the court to exercise its discretion to determine his motion first before the commencement of trial.

When asked if he had been served the process, Tahir responded the process was served on him around 9:20 am on Monday.

He noted that he had yet to file a reply as a result.

Tahir said, “This process is a blatant waste of time. The issue of jurisdiction has been settled by the Supreme Court once the charge bordered on money laundering, the Federal High Court has inherent jurisdiction to try it.”

However, the trial judge, Justice Inyang Ekwo, interjected and urged him to allow the court to take its decision on the motion.

He said, “It is not for you to tell the court the Supreme Court’s decision on the issue. Respond to the motion and leave the court to decide.”

He subsequently adjourned the matter to March 7, 2024, to hear the motion.

Crime

BREAKING: 24 Bandits Killed as Security Forces Foil Mass Kidnap in Katsina

Published

on

42 Views

At least 24 bandits were killed on Tuesday after Nigerian Army soldiers, Department of State Services (DSS) operatives and members of the Katsina Community Watch Corps foiled a planned mass abduction in Gidan Bawa village, Kandarawa Ward, Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State.

According to a security source, the operation was launched following sustained intelligence that about 40 gunmen loyal to notorious bandit kingpin Isiya Kwashen Garwa planned to invade the community and abduct residents, particularly women and children. The plot was reportedly intended to mirror the recent mass abduction of residents in Woro community, Kwara State, in a bid to embarrass the government.

Acting on the tip-off, DSS operatives mobilised the Community Watch Corps and the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) from Guga camp. The joint team ambushed the bandits as they moved to carry out the attack.

The source said the operatives neutralised 24 of the gunmen and rescued villagers who had already been abducted. Nineteen stolen cattle were also recovered during the raid.

Efforts are ongoing to track down the remaining bandits who fled the scene.

Continue Reading

Crime

NDLEA destroys illicit drugs valued at N301bn in Lagos

Published

on

62 Views

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) on Monday publicly destroyed 329,865.585 kilograms of assorted illicit drugs with an estimated street value of N301,058,076,000 in a court-ordered exercise in Lagos.

The destruction, carried out at Navy Town in Ojo pursuant to orders of the Federal High Court, Lagos Judicial Division, covered uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. Of the total, 246,864.535 kg were seized by the Lagos Strategic Command between April 2025 and May 2026, while 83,001.05 kg came from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit, all operating in Lagos.

The consignment included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, various strains of cannabis (including Canadian Loud and skunk), ephedrine, tramadol, codeine syrup and other opioids, as well as khat leaf.

NDLEA Chairman/Chief Executive Officer Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (rtd) described the exercise as a bold demonstration of Nigeria’s resolve to protect its people and deny criminal enterprises the resources they need to thrive.

“Behind every kilogram of narcotics destroyed lies a story of a young life at risk, a family torn apart by addiction, and communities endangered by drug-related crime and impaired driving,” Marwa said. He stressed that illicit drugs weaken the labour force, raise healthcare costs, discourage investment and drain public resources that should go into education, healthcare and infrastructure.

Marwa linked the drug trade to broader security challenges, noting that trafficking helps fund organised crime, terrorism and violent extremism. He thanked President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for strategic support, and acknowledged partnership with the judiciary, Lagos State Government, the military, sister security agencies, international partners, civil society, traditional institutions, the media and the public.

Issuing a stern warning to drug barons, traffickers, financiers, distributors and dealers, Marwa declared: “Wherever you hide, whoever sponsors you and however sophisticated your network may be, the long arm of the law will reach you.” He vowed that the agency remains resolute in dismantling every criminal network and its financial spine, and called on parents, schools, religious and traditional leaders, and the media to join the fight.

Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by Secretary to the State Government Mrs Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, said the scale of the destruction — about 300 tons — was both a sobering reminder of the threat illicit drugs pose and a testament to what is possible when law enforcement, the judiciary and government work together.

“Lagos State is unwavering in its resolve to confront drug abuse and trafficking, and we will not relent,” the governor’s representative stated.

Comptroller-General of Customs Bashir Adewale Adeniyi said the NDLEA deserved the accolades it has received, noting that the haul from seaports, airports and land borders sent a strong message that drug dealers are no longer welcome in Nigeria. He linked the drug trade to the funding of bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers, insurgents and terrorists, describing narcotics as the “oxygen” of violent non-state actors.

Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, assured continued naval support for NDLEA-coordinated drug control efforts.

Continue Reading

Crime

SITREP: Rival Cult Groups Clash on Freedom Way Near the Dome, Sparking Chaos

Published

on

122 Views

An ongoing fracas allegedly involving rival cult groups has erupted on Freedom Way near the Dome, at Lekki Phase 1 Lagos, with reports of widespread mayhem.

Motorists have abandoned their vehicles on the road and fled the area as the confrontation intensifies.

A minimal police presence is on site attempting to restore order.

Authorities and local sources advise residents to avoid the area if possible and delay non-essential travel until the situation stabilizes.

Fleeing individuals from the groups have also been using a bush path at the end of the driveway leading onto Freedom Way, prompting calls for heightened security awareness when exiting nearby lanes.

Residents are urged to remain cautious until the disturbance fully subsides.

Continue Reading

Trending