Connect with us

News

Here’s When To Watch Lunar Crescent Across Nigeria on Friday, February 28, according to NASRDA

The last cities to experience the lunar crescent, he said, would be Lagos and Abeokuta between the hours of 6:59 pm to 7:30 pm.

Published

on

270 Views

The National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) said that Nigeria would likely witness its first astronomical lunar crescent on Friday evenings, February 28.

The Director of Media and Corporate Communications of NASRDA, Dr. Felix Ale, disclosed this in a statement, saying that the lunar crescent had been calculated to occur at 1:45 A.M. West African Time (WAT).

He said that the predicted time of 1:45 A.M time, also known as the Crescent Zero hour, would be when the crescent could be seen under perfect atmospheric conditions with the aid of optical instruments like binoculars or telescopes.

“The crescent will become visible to the naked eye in the evening of Friday, February 28, 2025, between 6:17 PM and 7:35 PM across different locations in Nigeria.

“Maiduguri will be the first city to witness the young lunar crescent from 6:17 PM to 6:48 PM, followed by Yola, Adamawa State, from 6:21 PM to 6:51 PM.

“Damaturu, Yobe, will follow from 6:22 PM to 6:53 PM, Kano, Kastina, Jos and Kaduna will experience the first lunar crescent between 6:38 pm and 7:12 pm.

“The sunset and moon set will occur between 6:35 pm and 7:12 pm, 6:38 pm and 7:15 pm, 6:35 pm and 7:11 pm, 6:40 pm and 7:17 pm respectively.

“Enugu will experience the lunar crescent between 6:42 pm and 7:32 pm with sunset and moonset at about 6:42 pm and 7:18 pm,’’ he said.

He predicted that in the FCT, the first lunar crescent would appear between 6:44 pm and 7:15 pm, with sunset and moonset at about 6:44 pm and 7:20 pm.

The last cities to experience the lunar crescent, he said, would be Lagos and Abeokuta between the hours of 6:59 pm to 7:30 pm.

Ale said that other cities across the federation will experience the lunar crescent at different times within the estimated visibility window of 6:17 pm and 7:35 pm on the same day.

He said “For a clear sighting of the first lunar crescent, observers are to use optical aids where necessary, and observe under clear atmospheric conditions.

“Observers are to position themselves in locations with an unobstructed view of the western horizon after sunset.

“He added that the scientific report provided precise predictions on the lunar crescent across locations of the country.

According to him, the report ensured accuracy for those who relied on lunar observations for religious, cultural, and scientific purposes.

The space agency encouraged researchers, scholars, and religious groups to utilise the findings, adding that anyone requiring additional data for further analyses could visit the official office website.

Director, the Centre for Basic Space Science and Astronomy (CBSSA), an activity centre of NASRDA, Dr Bonaventure Okere, said it was regarded as the first stage of the moon, hence the new crescent.

Okere said the appearance of the new crescent was highly significant in the Islamic religion because it was used to determine some rites and practices like the beginning of the Ramadan fast.

“The Islamic religion uses moon phases for their Islamic rites but astronomers study the cycle of the rising and setting of the moon to determine moon days, which is usually 28 days.

“Astronomers use the moon cycle to generate the Lunar calendar, understand the part of the moon you can see daily,’’ he said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

UNICEF Lauds Nigeria’s Remarkable Progress in Birth Registration (Photos)

Published

on

11 Views

ighlights 14 Million Children Registered in Two Years.

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has commended Nigeria for achieving a significant milestone in child rights, with 14 million children’s births officially registered over the past two years.

This surge represents impressive advancement in ensuring every child is counted and recognized through legal identity.

The announcement came during a courtesy visit by UNICEF Country Representative to Nigeria, Ms. Wafaa Saeed Abdelatef, to Senator Oluremi Tinubu, the First Lady of Nigeria, at the State House in Abuja.

Ms. Abdelatef praised the First Lady’s exemplary leadership in championing children’s issues and family welfare nationwide. She described the progress in birth registration as unprecedented in her experience across various countries.

“Birth registration is the first right of every child—to be counted and recognized,” she stated. “It is really impressive. I have served in many places, but I have not seen such progress in two years as we have witnessed here in Nigeria.

“She highlighted key enablers of this success, including the digitalization of the registration system at health facilities and community levels, as well as ongoing legislative efforts with a relevant bill before the National Assembly.

“Things don’t just happen like that; we scale with leadership,” she added, expressing gratitude for the First Lady’s role in driving this initiative and allowing UNICEF to celebrate this “fantastic leadership.

“The UNICEF representative also acknowledged the First Lady’s broader contributions, referencing her involvement in initiatives such as the national library and food bank launches, as well as commendations from African women leaders at the African Union for her continental impact.

She linked these efforts to Nigeria’s Renewed Hope Agenda, which she said is instilling hope for children and citizens alike.In response, Senator Oluremi Tinubu welcomed UNICEF’s recognition and reaffirmed her commitment to ensuring universal birth registration. “Every child counts,” she emphasized, noting that registration immediately after birth grants children nationality, legal identity, and access to essential services like health and education.

The First Lady described the news as a source of joy and a foundation for national development. “This is how nations develop,” she said. While celebrating the gains, she stressed the need for sustained efforts: “We are not there yet. We have to keep at it and make sure every child is counted.

“She pointed out that birth registration is just the starting point, extending to the issuance of birth certificates. Highlighting Nigeria’s lack of a recent census, she noted that starting with children would provide critical data on the child population to guide government planning and resource allocation.

Senator Tinubu also addressed persistent challenges, expressing concern over persistently high rates of tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and maternal and child mortality in Nigeria’s large population.

“These numbers are still high, and it is worrisome,” she said, while assuring that the administration is actively working to position the country for a better future.

She expressed appreciation for UNICEF’s longstanding support and reliable data, pledging continued collaboration in any area of mutual interest. “In any area you want us to collaborate, we are here,” she affirmed. “We want to thank UNICEF for the interest and the work you have done.

“This development underscores Nigeria’s ongoing push toward universal civil registration, aligning with global goals to provide legal identity for all children and support broader child rights and development objectives.

Continue Reading

News

Navy’s Chief of Operations, Rear Admiral Katagum dies in Egypt

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Published

on

By

14 Views

Photo: Rear Admiral Musa Katagun

Chief of Operations at Naval headquarters, Rear Admiral Musa Katagun is dead at a hospital in Egypt.

News of Rear Admiral Katagun’s death was confirmed by military sources on Thursday.

Katagum is said to have traveled to Egypt for follow up medical evaluation after undergoing an initial surgery in September last year.

Rear Admiral Katagum previously served as the Director, Naval Intelligence., he’s one time Deputy Defence Adviser, Paris, France and was at the Defence Headquarters before his recent appointment as Chief of Operations by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abass.

Continue Reading

News

Ondo monarch gunned down outside palace

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

Published

on

By

33 Views

•Kehinde Jacob Faledon

Kehinde Jacob Faledon, the traditional ruler of Agamo Community in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, has been shot dead.

Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Jimoh Abayomi, confirmed the incident, said that the monarch was killed after gunmen forced him out of the palace, on Wednesday night.

The armed men were said to have attempted to kidnap him but he refused, resulting to being shot.

“Information reached the division at about 7:50pm from a community leader, High Chief Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu, that about six armed men stormed the residence of the monarch and forcibly took him away,” Abayomi said.

“The victim was subsequently found with gunshot injuries and was confirmed dead at the scene.

“The divisional police officer supported by tactical teams of the command, mobilised officers in collaboration with local hunters, Atuluse Security, and Amotekun operatives are combing the surrounding bushes and neighbouring communities.

Continue Reading

Trending