Connect with us

Business

Fuel marketers kick as FG rules out price hike

Published

on

251 Views

Oil marketers, on Tuesday, advised President Bola Tinubu to gradually relax the removal of subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit, popularly called petrol, following the inability of importers to access the United States dollars and the impact which this was having on businesses.

This came as Tinubu ruled out fuel price hike and reversal of fuel subsidy.

However, marketers of petroleum products encouraged the President to learn from Kenya, stressing that the African country had to return subsidy on petrol to curb the devastating impact which its removal had on Kenyans.

“Let them not do the needful, they will see the consequences. We learned this morning that Kenya, which equally removed subsidy and noticed that its effect was so hard on the citizens, has again resumed the subsidy regime for the period of two months,” the Secretary, Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, Abuja-Suleja, Mohammed Shuaibu, told our correspondent.

He added, “Government is about the people and it must have a listening ear. For Nigeria, how can we be an oil producing nation with four refineries and all of them are down. We now depend on imports.

“When he (Tinubu) announced that thing (subsidy removal), we said it was going to bring problems. Are we not feeling the consequences of that announcement now? It is forex that largely determines the cost of petroleum products here.

“Marketers are not willing to import products again,  So if the government is going to relax the removal of subsidy for a while, it should better do that as a matter of urgency.”

Shuaibu argued that despite the fact that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited announced earlier on Tuesday that it had no intention of increasing petrol price, the cost of the commodity would rise above its current N617/litre in weeks, if the exchange rate continues to increase.

“Relaxing subsidy removal is going to be a very wise decision right now, because going by the price of the dollar, the cost of petrol is bound to rise. In fact, some oil marketers are ready to join the labour union to protest,” he added.

Some dealers had said subsidy on petrol would gradually creep in, should the NNPCL continue to sell at N617/litre, particularly if the rise in forex rate persists.

The National Public Relations Officer, Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria, Chief Chinedu Ukadike, said the outright removal of subsidy would cause severe hardship.

“I’ve been saying this even before subsidy on petrol was removed. How can you stop subsidy without anything on ground as palliatives?

“Trips that used to be N5,000 in the past and now over N15,000. Businesses are shutting down. The suffering is rising. The government has to intervene now,” he stated.

The IPMAN PRO had earlier explained that the price of imported commodities, including petrol, would continue to rise as far as the rate of exchange of the dollar increases.

“Once there is a slack in the naira against the dollar, there is going to be an effect. The demand and supply of forex is a key factor. We should also understand that it is not only petroleum products that use forex.

NEITI reacts

This came as the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative advised the government to initiate and implement a deliberate policy that would attract investors to invest and help in fixing Nigeria’s refineries.

In its latest policy advisory for the oil sector, NEITI advised the Federal Government to come up with a deliberate policy to encourage private investments in refineries.

“A deliberate policy initiative should be implemented with full Presidential backing to encourage Nigerians and foreign investors already awarded licences to establish private refineries in Nigeria.

“The incentives may include tax holidays, institutional support, and availing potential investors in the downstream sector of the available opportunities within the existing ‘Federal Government ease of doing business policy.’

Also calling for intervention, the Executive Secretary, Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria, Clement Isong, earlier stated that it was high time the government intervened.

“Well, the President himself said in his speech that if they find petrol prices moving too high, they would intervene. We don’t want prices to move too high, nobody wants that.

“So if the dollar continues to climb, we are expecting some sort of intervention from the government based on what the President said,” the MOMAN official stated.

Similarly, the National President, Natural Oil and Gas Suppliers Association of Nigeria, Benneth Korie, told journalists that one of the best options before President Tinubu currently, was to hasten the repair of Nigeria’s refineries.

Tinubu reacts

Amidst the hike in cost of living brought about by the removal on Premium Motor Spirit popularly known has petrol which has led to a corresponding increase in fuel prices, the Presidency on Tuesday said Nigeria is currently the only country in West Africa enjoying the cheapest and most affordable price of PMS.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Ajuri Ngelale, told State House correspondents that daily consumption of fuel has dropped from 67M litres to 46M litres following the removal of subsidy.

Ngelale, who noted that he spoke to the President on Tuesday morning, noted that the President urged stakeholders in the country to hold their peace while adding that the threats of an indefinite strike by the organized labour was premature.

He said, “The President wishes first to state that it is incumbent upon all stakeholders in the country to hold their peace. We have heard very recently from the organised labour movement in the country with respect to their most recent threat.

“We believe that the threat was premature and that there is a need on all sides to ensure that fact finding and diligence is done on what the current state of the downstream and midstream petroleum industry is before any threats or conclusions are arrived at or issued.Secondly, Mr. President, wishes to assure Nigerians following the announcement by the NNPC limited just yesterday that there will be no increase in the pump price of petroleum motor spirit anywhere in the country. We repeat, the president affirms that there will be no increase in the pump price of petroleum motor spirit.”

Speaking further, Ajuri noted that the market having been deregulated would no longer allow a single entity to dominate the market.

“The market has been deregulated. It has been liberalized and we are moving forward in that direction without looking back.

“The President also wishes to affirm that there are presently inefficiencies within the midstream and downstream petroleum sub sectors that once very swiftly addressed and cleaned up will ensure that we can maintain prices where they are without having to resort to a reversal of this administration’s deregulation policy in the petroleum industry.”

Ngelale also noted that Tinubu approved that the chart containing prices of PMS in other countries be transmitted to Nigerians so as to show the cost of PMS in West African countries.

He added, “Senegal at pump price today of N1,273 equivalent per liter, Guinea at N1,075 per liter, Côte d’ Ivore at N1,048 per litre equivalent in their currency, Mali N1,113 per litre, Central African Republic N1,414 per litre, Nigeria is presently averaging between N568 and N630 per litre.

“We are presently the cheapest, most affordable purchasing state in the West African sub-region by some distance. There is no country that is below N700 per liter.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, in a post around 11.48pm on Monday on its official X (formerly Twitter) said it had no intention to increase the pump price of petrol.

Business

ALTON Confirms Banks cleared N300bn USSD debts

The debt problem that had lingered for over four years was resolved through the intervention of the NCC under the leadership of its Executive Vice Chairman, Dr. Aminu Maida.

Published

on

By

14 Views

The Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) has confirmed that Deposits Money Banks (DMBs) have paid the estimated N300 billion debts they owed telecom operators for Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) services.

ALTON Chairman, Engr. Gbenga Adebayo disclosed this yesterday during the group’s official visit to the Board Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Idris Olorunnimbe in Lagos.

According to Adebayo, paying off the debt brought to a close years of accusations and counter-accusations between the banks and telecom operators.

Adebayo said that the debt problem that had lingered for over four years was resolved through the intervention of the NCC under the leadership of its Executive Vice Chairman, Dr. Aminu Maida.

While commending the leadership of the NCC for their recent interventions including the approval of 50 percent end user tariff adjustment last year, Adebayo said the Commission has steered the ship of the sector through one of its most delicate periods.

“When Dr. Maida assumed office, he inherited significant industry challenges. One of the most difficult was the USSD debt crisis — a debt burden that grew over four years to nearly N300 billion. It had become a systemic risk to our sector and the digital financial ecosystem.

“Through firm leadership, structured engagement, and decisive coordination, Dr. Maida and his team resolved this issue.

“Today, there is no outstanding USSD debt. The ecosystem has fully migrated to end-user billing. What was once a looming crisis has been converted into a sustainable framework,” Adebayo stated.

Continue Reading

Business

FAAN stops cash collection at airports nationwide

Beyond compliance with government policy, the MD/CE highlighted the enormous benefits of a cashless system to the aviation ecosystem, including reduction in leakages, improved transaction traceability, faster service delivery, and enhanced public confidence in airport operations.

Published

on

By

16 Views

FAAN MD, Mrs Olubunmi Kuku

Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) will stop collecting cash across all airport payment points nationwide, effective February 28, 2026.

FAAN Managing Director, Mrs. Olubunmi Kuku, stated this during a visit by executives and members of the National Union of Air Transport Employees (NUATE), who sought clarification on the decision to discontinue cash transactions at airports.

In her address, the MD/CE emphasised that the transition to a cashless system is not only in line with global best practices in aviation management but also consistent with Federal Government’s directives aimed at enhancing transparency, accountability, and operational efficiency.

She referenced a Treasury Circular dated November 24, 2025, issued by the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation and signed by the Accountant-General, Shamseldeen Ogunjimi, mandating the cessation of cash transactions in all government dealings.

The directive followed approval by the Federal Executive Council for Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to discontinue physical cash collections and payments as part of broader public finance reforms

“There is no going back on this decision,” she said, stressing that the cashless initiative aligns FAAN with national financial management reforms while positioning Nigeria’s airports for greater operational integrity, improved service delivery, and stronger revenue assurance.

Beyond compliance with government policy, the MD/CE highlighted the enormous benefits of a cashless system to the aviation ecosystem, including reduction in leakages, improved transaction traceability, faster service delivery, and enhanced public confidence in airport operations.

Continue Reading

Business

CBN’s Cardoso Advocates cross-border payments reform at G-24 meeting

“With global remittance corridors costing over 6.0 percent, settlement lags of several days, and compliance burdens that exclude MSMEs, millions remain disconnected from global opportunity.”

Published

on

By

17 Views

Olayemi Cardoso, governor, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has called for reforming cross-border payments system , asserting that its too inefficient to support inclusive growth in developing economies.

Cardoso made the call on Thursday during the G-24 Technical Group Meetings in Abuja, warning that high costs and settlement delays are shutting millions out of global trade and finance.

” It is not merely a technical upgrade but a macroeconomic priority, as the channels through which capital, remittances and trade flow increasingly shape financial stability”,said Cardoso.

He emphasised that payment systems now sit at the heart of global economic integration and financial stability, but remain structurally biased against emerging and developing markets.

“Today, cross-border payments remain too slow, too costly, and too fragmented, especially for developing economies,” Cardoso said.

“With global remittance corridors costing over 6.0 percent, settlement lags of several days, and compliance burdens that exclude MSMEs, millions remain disconnected from global opportunity.”

Continue Reading

Trending