Sports
FIFA U-20 World Cup: NFF Commends Flying Eagles
The Nigeria Football Federation has commended the Flying Eagles for giving a good account of themselves at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Argentina.
After an impressive match at the tournament, the Flying Eagles of Nigeria were able to make it to the quarter-finals where they faced Korea Republic.
Two-time runners-up Nigeria dominated for large parts of the game but were eliminated from the tourney by a single goal on Sunday as the Korea Republic surged into the semi-finals for the second successive tournament.
The Flying Eagles, who eliminated hosts and six-time champions Argentina in the Round of 16 on Wednesday, created few chances despite passing the ball around the field quite well.
However, the lack of punch in the final third was the greatest undoing of the seven-time African champions.
NFF’s General Secretary, Mohammed Sanusi, on Monday in Abuja told NAN that the Flying Eagles gave their best at the world cup, adding that they did not disgrace the country.
“The Flying Eagles have done their very best. I can say they have not disgraced Nigeria.
“In every competition, there has to be a winner and there has to be a time when some teams will be eliminated.
“Yesterday, it wasn’t our day. The team played very well but the goals refused to come.
“So, I think we should take it in good fate and move forward.
“As I have always said, anytime we go for competitions, we go to fulfil God’s righteousness because whatever God has destined to happen will happen, you cannot change it.
“If you have looked at the game, you would know that it wasn’t our game at all.”
He said the team could have equalised towards the end of the full-time but the goal “refused to come.”
The NFF Scribe apologised to Nigerians for the failure of the team to progress to the semi-finals, stressing that the Flying Eagles gave 100 per cent.
“We want to say we are sorry to Nigerians who believed in the team that they could go all the way.
“Going by their progression and improvement from match to match, Nigerians expected us to defeat the Koreans.
“But as I said earlier, it wasn’t the wish of God. He did his wish and we were eliminated by the Koreans,” he added.
NAN
Sports
Breaking: Arsenal Win Premier League For First Time In 22 Years
The Gunners, who have set the pace for most of the season, have bounced back impressively since losing to City last month, winning four straight league matches without conceding a goal.
Arsenal have won the Premier League for the first time in 22 years with a game to spare after Man City failed to win at Bournemouth.
Arsenal ended their 22-year wait to be crowned Premier League champions on Tuesday after Manchester City were held 1-1 by Bournemouth.
City had to win to take the title fight to the final day, but the Cherries extended their unbeaten streak to 17 league games, a run which has secured European football for the first time in the club’s history.
After finishing second for the past three seasons, Mikel Arteta’s Gunners have finally made it over the line to end a six-year trophy drought.
Arsenal edged to the brink of the title with an unconvincing 1-0 win over already relegated Burnley on Monday, which took them five points clear of City.
The Gunners, who have set the pace for most of the season, have bounced back impressively since losing to City last month, winning four straight league matches without conceding a goal.
Sports
AFCON 2027 qualifiers: Nigeria to face Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau
The draw was conducted at the headquarters of the Egyptian Football Association in Cairo on Tuesday, with former Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong serving as one of the draw assistants.
Nigeria have been drawn in Group L of the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, where they will face Madagascar, co-hosts Tanzania and Guinea- Bissau for a place at the tournament.
Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda will host the tournament from June 19 to July 17, 2027.
The draw was conducted at the headquarters of the Egyptian Football Association in Cairo on Tuesday, with former Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong serving as one of the draw assistants.
A total of 48 teams will participate in the qualifiers, with the draw producing 12 groups and 24 teams qualifying for the finals.
Nigeria were drawn from Pot 1 and handed a relatively favourable path to the tournament.
However, due to the presence of Tanzania — who have qualified automatically as co-hosts — in the group, only the top team will qualify for the finals.
The same applies to other groups containing any of the co-hosts, while the top two teams from the remaining groups will qualify.
Sports
Guardiola debunks Man City exit report
Since arriving at Manchester City in 2016, Guardiola has delivered an era of unprecedented success, winning six Premier League titles, the Champions League, three FA Cups, and five League Cups. His tenure has transformed the club into one of the most dominant forces in world football.
• Pep Guardiola , Manchester City
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has firmly rejected speculation that he is planning to leave the club at the end of the season, insisting he remains fully committed to his role at the Etihad Stadium.
Since arriving at Manchester City in 2016, Guardiola has delivered an era of unprecedented success, winning six Premier League titles, the Champions League, three FA Cups, and five League Cups.
His tenure has transformed the club into one of the most dominant forces in world football.
The Spaniard moved quickly to quell growing rumours during his pre-match press conference ahead of Tuesday’s Premier League clash against Bournemouth.
Recent reports had suggested that Manchester City were already making internal preparations for life after Guardiola, with former assistant Enzo Maresca emerging as a leading candidate to replace him.
However, Guardiola, who still has one year left on his current contract, appeared unfazed by the claims.
“So many times, I have one more year,” he said when asked about his future. “I am here, I have a contract.”
He also dismissed suggestions that the remaining fixtures could serve as a farewell tour, and laughed off reports that the club might name the newly expanded North Stand after him if he departs this summer.
-
News2 days agoAbu-Bilal al-Minuki: Deadly But Harmless Looking – Poison Dart Frog
-
Business2 days agoPenCom bracing up to invest in Dangote Refinery’s IPO, urges PFAs
-
News2 days agoSenate Rule Amendment: Debate Should Focus on Institutional Stability, Not Personalities – Eyiboh
-
Business2 days agoDangote expands Investment in Ethiopia to $4bn
-
Sports2 days agoAfrican Athletics Championship: Team Nigeria wins 12 medals
-
Business2 days ago63% of Nigerians want interest rates reduced – CBN
-
Politics2 days agoDesmond Elliot cries out, ‘My security taken away, what have I done?’
-
Business2 days agoBOI Secures $200m fresh Loan from AfDB
