Connect with us

Health

FCTA Resident Doctors Acknowledge Partial Implementation of Demands, Vow to Continue Indefinite Strike

Published

on

183 Views

The Association of Resident Doctors, Federal Capital Territory Administration (ARD-FCTA), has confirmed that some of its outstanding salary arrears and allowances have been paid.

Despite this progress, the doctors have vowed to continue their ongoing indefinite strike in solidarity with the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) until all their specific demands are fully met.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, ARD-FCTA President, Dr. George Ebong, said that 28 doctors who had been owed salary arrears ranging from one month to one year were paid two nights ago. He added that while some members received their Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF), 47 of the 150 doctors entitled to the allowance are yet to be paid.

Dr. Ebong commended the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, for initiating the implementation of some of the doctors’ demands. However, he emphasized that partial fulfillment was insufficient grounds to suspend the strike.

“Two nights ago, 28 doctors who had been owed salary arrears for periods ranging from one month to one year were paid. Also, the MRTF of some doctors was paid, though 47 out of 150 are still outstanding,” Ebong said.

He further confirmed that salaries were paid on Tuesday, acknowledging what he described as “the beginning of the implementation” of their demands.

While expressing appreciation for ongoing engagements with the National Assembly and FCTA management, Dr. Ebong insisted that the strike would continue until the remaining issues are resolved.

He also called on government authorities to adopt a proactive approach to addressing workers’ concerns rather than waiting for strikes to force action.

“Our sincere appreciation once more to the Honourable Minister for his leadership and commitment. However, the indefinite strike will continue until the rest of our demands are met,” he stated.

The association outlined several pending demands that must be addressed before the strike can be suspended at both the national (NARD) and FCTA levels. These include:

  • Immediate payment of MRTF to the remaining 47 doctors.
  • Payment of salaries owed to external resident doctors for 6–7 months.
  • Settlement of longstanding skipping arrears.
  • Payment of overdue promotion arrears.
  • Payment of post-Part II conversion arrears.
  • Implementation of the CONMESS 25%/35% adjustment already effected in federal institutions.
  • Payment of the approved wage award.
  • Settlement of 13 months’ hazard allowance arrears dating back to 2021.
  • Immediate employment of additional healthcare workers.
  • Improvement of working conditions across FCTA health facilities.

Dr. Ebong reaffirmed the association’s commitment to dialogue and to achieving lasting solutions that would strengthen the healthcare system in the FCT.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Federal Ministry of Health Orders Immediate Retirement of Directors After 8-Year Tenure

Published

on

17 Views

The Federal Ministry of Health has directed the immediate retirement of all directors who have served at least eight years in the directorate cadre, effective from December 31, 2025.

The directive, outlined in a memo signed by Tetshoma Dafeta, Director overseeing the Office of the Permanent Secretary, enforces the eight-year tenure policy for directors as stipulated in Section 020909 of the Revised Public Service Rules 2021.

It applies to directors across the ministry, federal hospitals, agencies, and parastatals under its supervision.

The move aligns with a broader Federal Government circular from the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, which reiterated the compulsory retirement rule for directors (Grade Level 17 or equivalent) after eight years in the position, as part of efforts to ensure compliance across all Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs).

The policy has sparked concerns from the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU), which has criticized what it describes as selective implementation of retirement age reviews in the health sector.

JOHESU argues that such policies favor certain cadres over others, potentially undermining equity, teamwork, morale, and overall efficiency in healthcare delivery.

The ministry’s action follows recent government-wide enforcement of tenure limits for senior civil servants, including permanent secretaries. Affected directors are to be disengaged immediately, with institutions required to implement the directive without delay.

Continue Reading

Health

More than 95,000 died of suicide so far in 2026 — WHO

Certain vulnerable populations face disproportionately higher risks, including refugees and migrants, indigenous peoples, LGBTI persons, prisoners, and others who experience discrimination, social exclusion or limited access to support services.

Published

on

By

72 Views

World Health Organization (WHO) data reported that more than 95,000 people have died by suicide globally since the start of 2026.

According to Worldometer, the figure as of the time of this report, stands at 95, 406 so far in 2026.

The early-year toll highlights the continuing scale of suicide as a major global public health challenge.

WHO estimates show that about 727, 000 people die by suicide every year worldwide, with millions more attempting to take their own lives.

Health experts note that while annual suicide figures are usually released with a reporting delay, real-time counters help illustrate how frequently lives are lost to a largely preventable cause.

Suicide occurs across all regions and age groups, but WHO data indicate that it remains one of the leading causes of death among young people aged 15 to 29, ranking third globally in that age group in 2021.

The impact extends far beyond individuals, leaving long-lasting emotional, social and economic consequences for families, communities and entire nations.

Contrary to common assumptions, suicide is not limited to high-income countries.

WHO reports that nearly three-quarters (73%) of global suicides occur in low- and middle-income countries, where access to mental health care and social support services is often limited.

While suicide is closely linked to mental health conditions such as depression and alcohol use disorders, particularly in high-income countries,WHO notes that many suicides occur impulsively during moments of acute crisis.

These crises may stem from financial stress, relationship conflicts, chronic pain, illness, exposure to violence, displacement, or a profound sense of isolation.

Certain vulnerable populations face disproportionately higher risks, including refugees and migrants, indigenous peoples, LGBTI persons, prisoners, and others who experience discrimination, social exclusion or limited access to support services.

WHO stresses that suicide is preventable and requires a coordinated public health response rather than isolated interventions.

Evidence-based and often low-cost measures, such as restricting access to lethal means, promoting responsible media reporting, strengthening life skills among adolescents, and ensuring early identification and follow-up care for those at risk, have been shown to save

Continue Reading

Health

WHO: United States membership withdrawal takes effect

Reacting to the development, WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed regret over the decision and urged the United States to reconsider.

Published

on

By

115 Views

The United States’ withdrawal from the World Health Organisation (WHO) officially took effect on Thursday, exactly one year after President Donald Trump ordered the country to pull out of the global health body.

Under the terms governing WHO membership, a withdrawal becomes effective after a mandatory one-year notice period, which expired on Thursday 22 January, following the executive order signed by Trump shortly after he took office in 2025.

Although the agreement requires the United States to settle all outstanding financial obligations before withdrawal, that condition has not been met. However, the WHO has no legal mechanism to enforce payment or prevent a member state from exiting the organisation.

Reacting to the development, WHO Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, expressed regret over the decision and urged the United States to reconsider.

“The withdrawal is a loss for the United States and also a loss for the rest of the world,” Tedros said, adding that the organisation remains open to the country’s return.

President Trump had justified the decision by accusing the WHO of mishandling the COVID-19 pandemic, which originated in Wuhan, China, as well as other global health emergencies.

He also cited the organisation’s alleged failure to implement necessary reforms and its inability to operate independently of political influence from member states.

Continue Reading

Trending