Connect with us

News

Court adjourns Yahaya Bello’s arraignment as parties await decision on transfer of case

Published

on

In a recent development at the Federal High Court in Abuja, the arraignment of Yahaya Bello, the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, on charges of alleged money laundering has been adjourned to July 17, 2024. This adjournment follows discussions regarding the potential transfer of the case to the Federal High Court in Lokoja, Kogi State, based on Section 45 of the Federal High Court Establishment Act.

Here are the key points from the proceedings:

  1. Application for Transfer: Yahaya Bello’s lawyer, Adeola Adedipe, SAN, informed the court about an application before the Chief Judge for the transfer of the case (FHC/ABJ/CR/98/2024) to the Federal High Court in Lokoja. This application was made due to the territorial jurisdiction where the alleged offences were said to have occurred during Bello’s tenure as Governor of Kogi State.
  2. Court’s Response: The court considered the application for transfer but also noted the objection from the prosecution, represented by EFCC counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN. The EFCC argued that the matter should proceed with the arraignment as scheduled, emphasizing that the application for transfer did not discharge the defendant’s undertaking to appear in court.
  3. Legal Arguments: Adeola Adedipe explained that his accidental appearance at the last hearing was due to miscommunication regarding representation. He highlighted the administrative process initiated by the Chief Judge to consider the transfer request and argued that the matter now rested with the judicial decision-making process.
  4. Contempt Concerns: The EFCC counsel expressed dissatisfaction with the delay caused by the application for transfer, hinting at potential contempt proceedings against Bello’s legal team for failing to produce the defendant despite earlier assurances.
  5. Outcome and Adjournment: After deliberations, Justice Emeka Nwite adjourned the case to July 17, 2024, for ruling on the application for transfer and for the arraignment of Yahaya Bello, depending on the court’s decision regarding jurisdiction.

The case underscores ongoing legal maneuvers and procedural challenges typical in high-profile criminal proceedings, highlighting the intersection of legal technicalities and the pursuit of justice.

News

Massive Gridlock: FG reopens Independence Bridge in Lagos

Published

on

The Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, has directed the immediate reopening of the Independence Bridge in Lagos to vehicular traffic.

The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mrs. Olukorede Kesha, had earlier stated that the closure was for planned maintenance and rehabilitation.

She expressed regret for the inconvenience caused and appealed for public understanding.

The Federal Ministry of Works has clarified that necessary repairs on the bridge would be carried out at a later date.

The new instruction to reopen the bridge is ostensibly as a result of the gridlock caused by the closure which resulted in outcry by commuters since its closure on Tuesday, April 1.

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: President Tinubu to Embark on Working Visit to Paris

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will depart for Paris, France, today on a short working visit.

This information was stated in a press release today, April 2, 2025 by Bayo Onanuga, the Special Adviser to the President on Information & Strategy.

Onanuga said during the President’s visit, he will appraise his administration’s mid-term performance and assess key milestones.

“He will also use the retreat to review the progress of ongoing reforms and engage in strategic planning ahead of his administration’s second anniversary”.

“This period of reflection will inform plans to deepen ongoing reforms and accelerate national development priorities in the coming year”.

“Recent economic strides reinforce the President’s commitment to these efforts, as evidenced by the Central Bank of Nigeria reporting a significant increase in net foreign exchange reserves to $23.11 billion—a testament to the administration’s fiscal reforms since 2023 when net reserves were $3.99 billion”.

“While away, President Tinubu will remain fully engaged with his team and continue to oversee governance activities. He will return to Nigeria in about a fortnight, the statement reads.

Continue Reading

Business

Algiers-Abuja direct flights begin April 6

Published

on

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday, announced the launch of Air Algérie’s inaugural direct flight service from Algiers to Abuja, set to begin on April 6, 2025.

This is said to strengthen the diplomatic and economic ties between Nigeria and Algeria.

According to a statement signed by the Acting Spokesperson for the Ministry, Kimiebi Ebienfa, the new route, which is the result of the Bilateral Air Services Agreement between the two countries, will be operated by the national carrier, Air Algérie, using a Boeing 737 aircraft.

This new service is expected to boost connectivity, encourage tourism, and facilitate trade and investment between Nigeria and Algeria.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is pleased to announce the commencement of Air Algerie’s inaugural direct flight service from Algiers to Abuja, scheduled for 6th April 2025.

“This historic development marks a significant milestone in the growing diplomatic and economic relations between Nigeria and Algeria.

“It is pertinent to state that it is the implementation of the Bilateral Air Services Agreement between both countries, which culminated in this successful venture,” the statement read in part.

The inaugural flight is expected to carry the Charge d’Affaires of the Nigerian Embassy in Algiers, Nigerian community leaders, and representatives from the Algerian government.

The Federal Government has extended congratulations to Air Algérie and offered its full support to ensure the success of the new service.

With affordable fares and Algeria’s proximity to Europe, the flight also offers Nigerians a convenient gateway to Europe, enhancing Nigeria’s position as a regional hub for business, tourism, and transit.

The statement added, “The Federal Government of Nigeria, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and relevant aviation authorities, extends its warm congratulations to Air Algerie and assures all necessary support to ensure the success and sustainability of this new service.

“We believe this initiative will further strengthen the longstanding friendship between Nigeria and Algeria, while opening new opportunities for mutual growth.

“The affordable fare structure and the proximity of Algeria to Europe would also provide Nigerians with a convenient gateway to Europe, thereby enhancing Nigeria’s position as a regional hub for business, tourism, and transit.”

The ministry encouraged citizens and businesses to take advantage of this new connectivity to explore opportunities for trade, tourism and cultural exchanges between the two nations.

Continue Reading

Trending