Sports
Champions League Final: Man City, Inter Set For Showdown
Manchester City and Inter Milan clash in Saturday’s Champions League final in Istanbul with the English side, under Pep Guardiola, strongly fancied to win European club football’s biggest prize for the first time.
The match at the 75,000-seat Ataturk Olympic Stadium, kicks off at 10:00 pm (1900 GMT) in the Turkish metropolis and brings the curtain down on a season that has stretched almost into mid-June after the long interruption for the World Cup.
City have spent the last decade chasing this trophy having been transformed following an Abu Dhabi-backed takeover in 2008.
Also-rans before Sheikh Mansour arrived, they are now England’s dominant force, fresh from winning a fifth Premier League title in six seasons.
Guardiola, chasing the third Champions League crown of his coaching career, has built a side that is playing arguably the finest football of any team since his great Barcelona of a decade ago.
Now they are through to their second Champions League final in three seasons, two years after losing to Chelsea in Porto, and are hoping to complete a treble after securing the Premier League and FA Cup.
The last English team to win that treble was Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United, in 1999.
“We have been good in this competition, but we just need to find a way to win the first one,” said Kevin De Bruyne on Friday.
“If we do it, it would obviously be immense for the players, for the club, and for the fans it would be something amazing.”
City’s rise has been made possible by the investment from the Abu Dhabi United Group, which led to them generating the biggest revenues in world football in 2022 of 731 million euros ($787m).
Question marks surround their success, given City were charged in February by the Premier League with 115 alleged breaches of its financial rules between 2009 and 2018.
In Europe, meanwhile, City were banned for two years from UEFA competitions in February 2020 for “serious financial fair-play breaches”, although that sanction was later overturned.
Irresistible Force
City have become an almost irresistible force. They brushed aside RB Leipzig, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid in the knockout rounds and have lost just once in 27 matches.
The goals of Erling Haaland — 52 in all competitions — have elevated them to another level, along with Guardiola’s decision to turn centre-back John Stones into a midfielder.
Inter, while one of Europe’s grand old names, should not be able to compete with City when you look at their finances.
The Nerazzurri have enormous debts and their income for last year was under half that of City.
However, they emerged from their group ahead of Barcelona before beating Porto, their first victory in a Champions League knockout tie since 2011.
They then saw off Benfica and AC Milan to reach the final. They have won 11 of their last 12 games and recently retained the Coppa Italia.
“We understand what they are as a team,” De Bruyne said.
“They defend incredibly well. We don’t expect it to be an open game. That doesn’t happen a lot in a final anyway.”
Having reached their first Champions League final since lifting the trophy for the third time in their history in 2010, Inter are in to win it.
“We know we have a great opportunity to write a new page in the history of our club,” said coach Simone Inzaghi.
More Ataturk Drama?
Inzaghi has a settled side, with a grizzled three-man defence, a classy midfield, flying wing-backs in Denzel Dumfries and Federico Dimarco, and Lautaro Martinez alongside veteran ex-City striker Edin Dzeko up front.
Both sides should be at full strength, with Kyle Walker set to start for City after missing training earlier this week.
It is Inter’s sixth European Cup final, but just their second in 51 years.
City’s only European trophy to date came in 1970, when they won the Cup Winners’ Cup, beating Poland’s Gornik Zabrze 2-1 in the final.
That match was not shown on British television due to a clash with the FA Cup final replay the same night.
A huge global audience will watch Saturday’s showdown, for which both clubs were officially allocated around 20,000 tickets.
It is the second Champions League final held at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium, situated on the European side of the Bosphorus, 25 kilometres from central Istanbul.
Liverpool triumphed here in 2005, recovering from a three-goal deficit against Milan to draw 3-3 before winning on penalties.
AFP
Sports
Mikel Obi ready to reset Nigerian football governance
“If you want us going forward, you must make sure things are done properly. Get the right people, people that have the same direction and thought, so when the players come back home to play, there is a good environment for them to play and perform.”
Image credit : arise.tv
Former Super Eagles captain John Obi Mikel has announced his interest in taking a leadership role within the Nigeria Football Federation, stressing that he would only step into such a position if it operates without corruption
.Mikel’s comments follow Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the FIFA World Cup, a setback he believes highlights deeper structural problems within Nigerian football.
The 37 year old said the issues extend beyond the pitch and require a complete reset driven by integrity and accountability.
Mikel, who has long been vocal about his commitment to national service, said he has always prioritised Nigeria throughout his football career.
“One thing I have always done since my early days is fought for the country. I don’t know how many players have done that like I have, through the U17, U20, the senior national team.”
“Years of sacrifice. I have never for once said no to my country.”
He added that he remains ready to contribute, but only under the right conditions.
“When I know I can give my opinion and help, I will always be ready. But again, I won’t have corruption tied to me. I am never going to do that if I am going to say yes.
“If you want us going forward, you must make sure things are done properly. Get the right people, people that have the same direction and thought, so when the players come back home to play, there is a good environment for them to play and perform.”
Beyond his playing career, Mikel has gained administrative experience. In July 2023, he was appointed Honorary Adviser on Sports in Plateau State by Governor Caleb Mutfwang, where he has contributed to sports development and strategic planning.
His leadership role, combined with his global football profile, has led many observers to view him as a potential reformist figure who could help reset Nigerian football governance.
Sports
Former Falcons coach Waldrum questions NFF on FIFA’s $960,000 “Where’s that money?
Waldrum said that corruption is never questioned in Nigeria, unlike in the US, where people will seek to know how public funds are spent.
Randy Waldrum, former head coach of the Super Falcons, has questioned the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) over $960,000 it allegedly got from FIFA in preparation for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.
In a viral video on X, Waldrum said that a FIFA insider informed him that every nation that participated in the competition was given money to prepare their squad.
The NFF is claimed to have received roughly N1.4 billion in Naira in October 2022 to support the team.
The former coach lamented that despite receiving the huge sum of money, the NFF could not even put the team in camp before the World Cup and could not afford business-class tickets for the team.
Waldrum said that corruption is never questioned in Nigeria, unlike in the US, where people will seek to know how public funds are spent.
The coach also said that the NFF could only allow him to work with just seven staff, despite that it was FIFA that paid for the bonuses of the technical staff, adding that he was at the tournament without an analyst and not even a scout.
“I have a real close contact here in the US that is very connected with some of the board at FIFA.
“This person told me that in October, every country was given $960,000 from FIFA to prepare for the World cup, where is that money,” Waldrum said.
” If Nigeria got that money why didn’t we have a camp in November? We went to Japan, we flew in and played the game and went home.
“We wasted the last five days of that window to train.“So, all these questions I have is where is this money?
And the other thing I found out through my FIFA connections is that if countries don’t have the money to buy business class tickets for everybody, FIFA will fund the money and buy those tickets and just deduct it from the monies you get from FIFA after the World Cup.
Sports
Osimhen donates N5million to ailing online food vendor
The biggest support came on Wednesday when Osimhen transferred ₦5 million to the account. The gesture sparked an emotional response from the beneficiary, who publicly expressed her gratitude.
Super Eagles striker and Galatasaray forward Victor Osimhen has reportedly donated ₦5 million to assist with the medical treatment of popular online food vendor and Twitter personality, Aunty Esther, who is currently battling breast cancer.
Soccernet reported that Osimhen made the donation after he encountered a distressing video of the elderly woman, identified as Esther Omolola Mensah, crying in pain on a hospital bed while revealing the extent of the damage the illness had caused.
The footage, widely circulated on social media, stirred widespread sympathy and urgent calls for support.
Aunty Esther, known for sourcing and delivering market items for her followers, had grown a loyal community online because of her warm personality and trustworthiness.
However, her business ground to a halt in recent months as her health deteriorated.
When her condition worsened, concerned social media users rallied around her, mobilising funds and ensuring she received immediate medical attention.
Doctors later confirmed that she required extensive and costly treatment, prompting her supporters to create a verified fundraising account. Thousands of Nigerians have since contributed to the fund.
The biggest support came on Wednesday when Osimhen transferred ₦5 million to the account. The gesture sparked an emotional response from the beneficiary, who publicly expressed her gratitude.
-
Sports3 days agoAFCON 2025: CAF Expand Teams List from 24 to 28 players
-
Sports3 days agoUgborodo’s abandoned FIFA project
-
Opinions3 hours agoAgbakoba Writes Oyetola on ‘Unlocking Nigeria’s Maritime Potential to Generate ₦70 Trillion Annually’
-
Sports3 days agoOsimhen donates N5million to ailing online food vendor
-
Sports3 days agoFormer Falcons coach Waldrum questions NFF on FIFA’s $960,000 “Where’s that money?
-
Sports3 days agoMikel Obi ready to reset Nigerian football governance
-
News1 day agoPDP Slams Tinubu’s Ambassadorial List as ‘Scandalous,’ Demands Withdrawal
-
Crime15 hours agoSokoto Police Arrests Notorious “Sai Malam” Cult Members, Exposes Online Recruitment via WhatsApp
