News
Aso Villa completely going off public electricity and generator for Solar power by March — PermSec
The shift is expected to significantly reduce government’s spending on electricity
• Aso Villa Abuja
The Aso Presidential Villa in Abuja will completely stop using electricity generated from the national grid by March 2026, as work on its solar power initiative reaches the final stage.
State House Permanent Secretary, Temitope Fashedemi, disclosed this on Wednesday during the presentation of the 2026 budget proposal to the Senate Committee on Special Duties at the National Assembly.
Fashedemi explained that installation of the Villa’s solar mini-grid was concluded late in 2025 and has been undergoing technical trials since December.
He expressed confidence that a full transition to the new power system would be achieved within the first quarter of the year, noting that the shift is expected to significantly reduce government’s spending on electricity.
To demonstrate the project’s effectiveness, the Permanent Secretary cited the State House Medical Centre, which switched to solar power in May 2025.
Since then, he said, the facility has operated almost entirely off-grid, without relying on generators and drawing only minimal supply from the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC).
Meanwhile, the Federal Government had earmarked N10 billion in the 2025 budget for the “Solarisation of the Villa with Solar Mini Grid,” a move that triggered debate among Nigerians.
Critics argued that installing solar panels at the seat of power suggested a lack of confidence in efforts to stabilise the country’s electricity supply.
The 2026 Appropriation Bill proposes an additional N7 billion to complete the initiative.
News
NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.
The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.
Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.
Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
News
Nigerian Law school student dies after falling from hostel rooftop
The deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.
•Faith Alayande
A Nigerian Law School student identified as Faith Alayande, is dead after she fell from the rooftop at Lagos campus.
In a statement on Monday, Aderonke Osho, secretary to the council and director of administration, said that the deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.
Osho said preliminary findings revealed that the student died from injuries sustained after falling from the rooftop of the campus hostel around 4am on Friday.
The Nigerian Law School is deeply saddened by this tragic development.
“Management is working closely with the appropriate authorities and the family to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident, ensure that all necessary procedures are duly followed, and provide further information as appropriate.”
News
Ekwulobia Suspends New Yam Festival for Kidnap Billionaire Son
A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.
• Joseph Ezeokafor
Ekwulobia community in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State has cancelled its New Yam festival celebration billed for September 4, 2026.
Ohibaba.com learned that this is because of the kidnap of billionaire businessman and owner of Jezco Group of Companies, Chief Joseph Ezeokafor.
Ezeokafor was kidnapped in Awka on Tuesday last week when he stepped out of his house without his security details to attend to his spiritual need, where he goes to offer prays.
Public Relations Officer of Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga who confirmed the development said that serious operation is currently ongoing to save the elder statesman.
His kidnap has sent his community into mourning, causing the postponement of the new Yam festival, an annual festival which holds on a static date every year.
A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.
“The Igwe said the community of Ekwulobia cannot celebrate while their son remains in the custody of the kidnappers,” the source said.
-
Politics3 days agoOsun Election: President Tinubu mobilises Voters “Go Out to Vote Candidate of Your Choice on Saturday Without Fear
-
Business3 days agoNaira Exchange Rates Friday, August 14
-
Politics3 days agoOsun governorship election will be transparent, says INEC
-
News3 days agoNMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
-
Sports3 days agoCommittees hit the ground running for 8th Kwara State Sports Festival
-
Health3 days agoGov Mbah Invest in world-class Enugu International Hospital
-
Politics1 day ago#OsunDecides2026: First Results Emerge as Voting Ends, Collation Begins at Polling Units
-
Politics1 day ago(UPDATED) #OsunDecides2026: INEC Uploads 3,119 of 3,763 Polling Unit Results as Collation Continues
