News
Anthony Joshua’s accident caused by over speeding – FRSC
The FRSC Ogun Sector Command revealed that five adult males were involved in the crash., adding that two of the occupants who died on the spot were foreign nationals.
Photo: FRSC officials at the scene of the accident. Credit: FRSC
The Federal Road Safety Corps has confirmed that excessive speed and wrongful overtaking led to the crash involving British-Nigerian boxing champion, Anthony Joshua, along the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway on Monday.
The Corps Public Education Officer, Assistant Corps Marshal Olusegun Ogungbemide, disclosed stated that the Lexus Jeep, which was suspected to be travelling beyond the legally prescribed speed limit on the corridor, lost control during an overtaking manoeuvre and crashed into a stationary truck well packed by the side of the road.
The FRSC Ogun Sector Command revealed that five adult males were involved in the crash., adding that two of the occupants who died on the spot were foreign nationals.
Their remains have since been deposited at the Livewell Morgue in Sagamu.
Joshua and the driver of the vehicle were rescued by security personnel attached to his convoy and taken to a hospital, where they are currently receiving medical attention.
News
NMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
The Nigerian Media Merit Award (NMMA) said that it has shortlisted 972 of 1,112 entries for this year’s awards.
The Chairman of the NMMA Panel of Assessors, Otunba Dele Adetiba, said that the entries for the 34th edition cut across print, radio, and television categories.
Chairman of the NMMA Board of Trustees, Prof. Dayo Duyile, said that the award was established in 1990 to promote professionalism, ethical journalism and excellence among media practitioners.
Duyile, a veteran journalist and academic, said the NMMA was founded by a former Chairman of Daily Times, the late Alhaji Babatunde Jose, who led the organisation for 10 years.
News
Nigerian Law school student dies after falling from hostel rooftop
The deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.
•Faith Alayande
A Nigerian Law School student identified as Faith Alayande, is dead after she fell from the rooftop at Lagos campus.
In a statement on Monday, Aderonke Osho, secretary to the council and director of administration, said that the deceased was a student of the Nigerian Law School, Enugu campus, who was undergoing externship programme at the Lagos campus.
Osho said preliminary findings revealed that the student died from injuries sustained after falling from the rooftop of the campus hostel around 4am on Friday.
The Nigerian Law School is deeply saddened by this tragic development.
“Management is working closely with the appropriate authorities and the family to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident, ensure that all necessary procedures are duly followed, and provide further information as appropriate.”
News
Ekwulobia Suspends New Yam Festival for Kidnap Billionaire Son
A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.
• Joseph Ezeokafor
Ekwulobia community in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State has cancelled its New Yam festival celebration billed for September 4, 2026.
Ohibaba.com learned that this is because of the kidnap of billionaire businessman and owner of Jezco Group of Companies, Chief Joseph Ezeokafor.
Ezeokafor was kidnapped in Awka on Tuesday last week when he stepped out of his house without his security details to attend to his spiritual need, where he goes to offer prays.
Public Relations Officer of Anambra State Police Command, SP Tochukwu Ikenga who confirmed the development said that serious operation is currently ongoing to save the elder statesman.
His kidnap has sent his community into mourning, causing the postponement of the new Yam festival, an annual festival which holds on a static date every year.
A source from the community said the traditional ruler of Ekwulobia where Ezeokafor hails from, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, officially suspended the Ekwulobia New Yam Festival, saying there was no need to celebrate while their son remained in captivity.
“The Igwe said the community of Ekwulobia cannot celebrate while their son remains in the custody of the kidnappers,” the source said.
-
Politics3 days agoOsun Election: President Tinubu mobilises Voters “Go Out to Vote Candidate of Your Choice on Saturday Without Fear
-
Politics3 days agoThe Top Three Gladiators Locking Horns For Osun Governorship
-
Politics3 days agoAccord says Imumolen has no electoral value
-
Business3 days agoNaira Exchange Rates Friday, August 14
-
Politics3 days agoOsun governorship election will be transparent, says INEC
-
News3 days agoNMMA shortlist 972 entries for 2026 awards
-
Sports3 days agoCommittees hit the ground running for 8th Kwara State Sports Festival
-
Health2 days agoGov Mbah Invest in world-class Enugu International Hospital
