Connect with us

Business

BREAKING: FG drops money laundering charges against Binance executive Gambaryan

Published

on

328 Views

The Federal government of Nigeria has dropped all charges against Tigran Gambaryan, an executive at Binance Holdings, who has been on trial for money laundering and currency speculations at the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The trial judge, Emeka Nwite, ordered Mr Gambaryan, a US citizen, to be immediately released from Kuje prison in Abuja, following a request by the prosecution during Wednesday morning’s proceedings.

The development, coming two days ahead of the previously scheduled hearing set for 25 October, which had been announced in open court last Friday, appears to be planned to avoid attracting widespread attention.

Meanwhile, the judge sustained the money laundering charges against Binance, a cryptocurrency firm, which now stands as the sole defendant in the case.

The firm is accused of money laundering and currency speculation involving as much as $34.4 million to the detriment of the Nigerian forex market and economy.

A lawyer, R.U. Adaba, representing the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) – the prosecuting agency – applied on Wednesday morning to the court to stop the prosecution of Mr Gambaryan.

She cited diplomatic interventions and the extent of the defendant’s involvement in the alleged crimes as the key reasons for the decision.

“The government has reviewed the case and, taken into consideration that the second defendant (Mr Gambaryan) is an employee of the first defendant (Binance Holdings Limited), whose status in the matter has more impact than the second defendant’s, and also taking into consideration some critical international and diplomatic reasons, the state seeks to discontinue the case against the second defendant,” Ms Adaba said.

She also cited Mr Gambaryan’s worsening health in custody.

She noted that “the health of the defendant has been a recurrent issue which the state has managed well at the correctional centre facility through NSA (the National Security Adviser.”

But despite the Nigerian government’s best efforts at caring for him, Ms Adaba said “the second defendant can barely walk without a wheelchair or crutches and in addition with other ailments.”

“A surgery had been recommended,” she added, and the recovery process “may take some time that may impact on the pace of the trial.

”Mark Mordi, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) representing Mr Gambaryan, agreed with the prosecution, saying that his client was not involved in the company’s broader financial decisions.

“We ask the court to expedite everything to ensure Mr Gambaryan leaves the facility of the correctional centre,” the senior lawyer said.

In addition to seeking his client’s discharge, Mr Mordi asked for full acquittal, citing Section 108 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) for the second defendant to be “discharged and acquitted.

Wednesday’s hearing marked the culmination of months of intense, behind-the-scenes diplomatic talks between Nigerian and US government officials, aimed at securing the release of Mr GambaryanIn the weeks leading up to the hearing, some US lawmakers had campaigned for the release of Mr Gambaryan, writing to relevant Nigerian and American authorities to intervene.

The pressure on the Nigerian government intensified after the trial court twice denied the defendant’s bail requests.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

ALTON Confirms Banks cleared N300bn USSD debts

The debt problem that had lingered for over four years was resolved through the intervention of the NCC under the leadership of its Executive Vice Chairman, Dr. Aminu Maida.

Published

on

By

17 Views

The Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) has confirmed that Deposits Money Banks (DMBs) have paid the estimated N300 billion debts they owed telecom operators for Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) services.

ALTON Chairman, Engr. Gbenga Adebayo disclosed this yesterday during the group’s official visit to the Board Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Idris Olorunnimbe in Lagos.

According to Adebayo, paying off the debt brought to a close years of accusations and counter-accusations between the banks and telecom operators.

Adebayo said that the debt problem that had lingered for over four years was resolved through the intervention of the NCC under the leadership of its Executive Vice Chairman, Dr. Aminu Maida.

While commending the leadership of the NCC for their recent interventions including the approval of 50 percent end user tariff adjustment last year, Adebayo said the Commission has steered the ship of the sector through one of its most delicate periods.

“When Dr. Maida assumed office, he inherited significant industry challenges. One of the most difficult was the USSD debt crisis — a debt burden that grew over four years to nearly N300 billion. It had become a systemic risk to our sector and the digital financial ecosystem.

“Through firm leadership, structured engagement, and decisive coordination, Dr. Maida and his team resolved this issue.

“Today, there is no outstanding USSD debt. The ecosystem has fully migrated to end-user billing. What was once a looming crisis has been converted into a sustainable framework,” Adebayo stated.

Continue Reading

Business

FAAN stops cash collection at airports nationwide

Beyond compliance with government policy, the MD/CE highlighted the enormous benefits of a cashless system to the aviation ecosystem, including reduction in leakages, improved transaction traceability, faster service delivery, and enhanced public confidence in airport operations.

Published

on

By

20 Views

FAAN MD, Mrs Olubunmi Kuku

Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) will stop collecting cash across all airport payment points nationwide, effective February 28, 2026.

FAAN Managing Director, Mrs. Olubunmi Kuku, stated this during a visit by executives and members of the National Union of Air Transport Employees (NUATE), who sought clarification on the decision to discontinue cash transactions at airports.

In her address, the MD/CE emphasised that the transition to a cashless system is not only in line with global best practices in aviation management but also consistent with Federal Government’s directives aimed at enhancing transparency, accountability, and operational efficiency.

She referenced a Treasury Circular dated November 24, 2025, issued by the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation and signed by the Accountant-General, Shamseldeen Ogunjimi, mandating the cessation of cash transactions in all government dealings.

The directive followed approval by the Federal Executive Council for Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to discontinue physical cash collections and payments as part of broader public finance reforms

“There is no going back on this decision,” she said, stressing that the cashless initiative aligns FAAN with national financial management reforms while positioning Nigeria’s airports for greater operational integrity, improved service delivery, and stronger revenue assurance.

Beyond compliance with government policy, the MD/CE highlighted the enormous benefits of a cashless system to the aviation ecosystem, including reduction in leakages, improved transaction traceability, faster service delivery, and enhanced public confidence in airport operations.

Continue Reading

Business

CBN’s Cardoso Advocates cross-border payments reform at G-24 meeting

“With global remittance corridors costing over 6.0 percent, settlement lags of several days, and compliance burdens that exclude MSMEs, millions remain disconnected from global opportunity.”

Published

on

By

24 Views

Olayemi Cardoso, governor, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has called for reforming cross-border payments system , asserting that its too inefficient to support inclusive growth in developing economies.

Cardoso made the call on Thursday during the G-24 Technical Group Meetings in Abuja, warning that high costs and settlement delays are shutting millions out of global trade and finance.

” It is not merely a technical upgrade but a macroeconomic priority, as the channels through which capital, remittances and trade flow increasingly shape financial stability”,said Cardoso.

He emphasised that payment systems now sit at the heart of global economic integration and financial stability, but remain structurally biased against emerging and developing markets.

“Today, cross-border payments remain too slow, too costly, and too fragmented, especially for developing economies,” Cardoso said.

“With global remittance corridors costing over 6.0 percent, settlement lags of several days, and compliance burdens that exclude MSMEs, millions remain disconnected from global opportunity.”

Continue Reading

Trending