Connect with us

News

JUST IN: 19 States’ suit Against EFCC: Supreme Court reserves judgment as 3 States Withdraw

Published

on

255 Views

● Imo, Bauchi, Osun Join

The Supreme Court, on Tuesday, reserved judgment in the suit filed by 19 states challenging the constitutionality of the laws that established the EFCC , ICPC and NFIU, to a date to be communicated to the parties.

During the resumed hearing of the suit today, Imo, Bauchi and Osun states joined the suit as co-plaintiffs, while Anambra, Ebonyi and Adamawa states announced their decisions to withdraw their suits.

The Attorney-General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi, who was present in the court as the Defendant, had craved the court’s indulgence to take the process they filed on Tuesday morning. Justice Uwani Abba-Aji, thereby granted leave to the defendant to use the reply on point of law filed on Tuesday.

Mohammed Abdulwahab, who appeared for the 1st Plaintiff, pointed out that the amended processes filed by the AGF were different from what had initially been filed, noting that he had to refile his processes to answer to the fresh issues and facts.

The old processes were therefore struck out. “I seek your lordship indulgence to adopt the processes. We urge your lordship to grant all the reliefs sought.

“The crux of our suit is the decision of this court. The counsel that represented the appellant in that suit by the rules of this Court Order 4, will be called to address this court. He participated in the bill that birthed the EFCC and ICPC together,” he said.

The judge asked who the Counsel was, and Wahab, replied: Chief Kanu Agabi. “Chief Kanu Agabi, told this court that it was the Convention of the UN that reduced this into law. Section 12, that provision was never followed.

“This fact was not an issue with the case of AG Ondo Vs AG Federation. So there is a specific provision for bringing a convention in. You cannot just be talking about Items 7 of 8.

“We are also challenging the foundation of those laws that created NIFU, EFCC, etc. in order not to create a constitutional crisis.

“We urge you to allow our appeal and award heavy cost in favour of the Plaintiff on record,” the Counsel said.

In response, Fagbemi, contended that the case of AG Ondo v. AG Federation and other decisions had already settled all the issues raised in the Plaintiffs’ case and that the Supreme Court could not depart from those decisions.

He, therefore, prayed that the suit be dismissed. On AG Ekiti State Vs AGF, Counsel for the Defendant, T. A Gazali, pointed out that the state was not represented at the last sitting and was not also represented on Tuesday.

“We apply that the matter be struck out for want of diligent prosecution my lord,” Gazali prayed. This was granted.

The Attorney-General of Osun State, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, informed the court of their application for consolidation of their suit with that of Kogi State.

“We have an application before your lordship and with your kind permission, we are ready to proceed.

It is an application for consolidation,” he said. The judge, however, said that the interesting thing about the case was that they were already part of the matter.

“So why do you want to consolidate? Judgment has already been reserved.”

News

MTN Group buys IHS Towers for $6.2bn

Chairman and CEO of IHS Towers, Sam Darwish, described the agreement as a compelling opportunity to crystallise value built over the company’s 25-year history.

Published

on

By

7 Views

MTN Group has reached an agreement to acquire IHS Towers, one of the world’s largest independent owners and operators of shared telecom infrastructure, in an all-cash transaction that values the company at an enterprise value of approximately $6.2 billion.

The deal follows weeks of negotiations between both parties.

Under the terms of the merger agreement, IHS shareholders will receive $8.50 per ordinary share in cash, representing a 36% premium to its 52-week volume-weighted average price, and a modest 3% premium to its unaffected closing price of $8.23 on February 4, 2026.

Chairman and CEO of IHS Towers, Sam Darwish, described the agreement as a compelling opportunity to crystallise value built over the company’s 25-year history.

“Today’s announcement creates a compelling opportunity that provides certainty and immediate returns for our shareholders, enabling them to crystallize the significant value generated during our strategic review.

The proposed transaction deepens our long-standing partnership with MTN, as it combines Africa’s largest mobile network operator with one of its largest digital infrastructure platforms, and underscores the strong connection between IHS Towers and the African continent,” he said.

MTN’s Group President and CEO, Ralph Mupita, said the transaction would strengthen the company’s strategic and financial position as digital infrastructure becomes increasingly central to economic development on the continent

For IHS customers and partners across the continent, we commit to continuing high standards of service and the right governance of what is the largest standalone and integrated tower company in Africa, enabled by the excellent people within HIS,” he said.

IHS Towers’ Board of Directors has unanimously approved the transaction and recommended it to shareholders.

Meanwhile, J.P. Morgan is acting as financial advisor to IHS Towers, and Latham & Watkins LLP and Walkers (Cayman) LLP are acting as legal counsel to IHS Towers.

BofA Securities and Citigroup Global Markets Limited are acting as financial advisors to MTN; Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP are acting as legal advisors. 

Continue Reading

News

Kebbi Gov mourns after wedding boat mishap victims

The celebrants were on their way back home when the boat capsised and over 100 people drawn, 14 people consisting of 13 females and a child died.

Published

on

By

13 Views

The Kebbi State Governor, Comrade Dr Nasir Idris, Kauran Gwandu, has consoled with Yauri Local Government Area and Yauri Emirate over boat mishap that claimed the lives of 14 people.

In a statement signed by Ahmed Idris, Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Kebbi State, he condoles the immediate family members, the local government, the emirate as well as the good people of Yauri shortly after attending the funeral prayer, the governor urged them to accept the will God Almighty in good faith.

Represented by the Chairman, Yauri LG, Hon. Abubakar Shu’aibu, the governor prayed God Almighty to forgive their shortcomings and grant them Jannatul Firdaus.

“I appeal to you to accept this in good faith bearing in mind that nothing happens without the knowledge of our creator.

Narrating the ideal, the chairman said that the accident occured at Gumbi village in Gumbi ward of Yauri LG after they accompanied a bride to her husband’s house at Gwarzo village in Ngaski LG.

“The celebrants were on their way back home when the boat capsised and over 100 people drawn, 14 people consisting of 13 females and a child died.”

All the deceased persons have been buried according to Islamic rites. We pray Allah (SWT) to forgive them and accept their Shahad,” he prayed.

Continue Reading

News

Ramadan Fasting Begins Tomorrow, Says Sultan

He urged Muslims to use this month of Ramadan to pray against the insecurity ravaging some part of the country.

Published

on

By

13 Views

•Sultan of Sokoto, Sultan Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar

The Sultan of Sokoto, Sultan Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar has declared Wednesday 18th of February 2026, the first day of the Holy Month of Ramadan 1447AH.

He declared that the crescent moon was sighted in almost every part of the country earlier on Tuesday which is the 29th day of the Month of Shaban and thereby signifies tomorrow 18 of February as the First day of Ramadan 1447.

Sultan Abubakar, in a press statement made available to newsmen in Sokoto and signed by the Chairman Advisory committee on religious affairs, Professor Sambo Wali Junaid, however calls on the entire Muslim communities in the country to start fast on Wednesday in accordance with the teachings of Islam.

He said the council got information of the moon sighting from many Islamic leaders cut across the country which he said signifies the start of Ramadan fast on Wednesday.

He urged Muslims to use this month of Ramadan to pray against the insecurity ravaging some part of the country.

He also called on the Muslims across the country to use the month of Ramadan to continue to pray for the leaders of the country and also to curb the insecurity situations in the country.

Continue Reading

Trending